Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Putty removal

Our front door has nine funny-glass panes that we want to replace. The
wood partition between the panes on the putty side is very thin,
dimensions about 18mm x 4mm. I don't know how to remove the putty
without breaking this. My usual method, spatula and hammer, is almost
guaranteed to damage the wood and involve me in some fiddly carpentry.
Any suggestions?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I found a long post online by someone who sounded as if he knew what he
was talking about.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/removi...acement-30292/
(you have to scroll to the bottom)
He said apply a mixture of linseed oil and chlorine bleach with the
frame lying flat, for a day or so. Apparently the linseed oil will
penetrate into the putty and soften it, while the chlorine attacks the
calcite in the putty (which is made from high-calcite lime and linseed
oil) and does something. Anyone tried this?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 12:23:35 +1300, Gib Bogle wrote:

Any suggestions?

Sometimes works: Solid, thick block of wood, placed against most of the length
of the wood partition. Smack wood block with hammer.

The goal is to break the bond between the putty and the glass without breaking
anything else...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 08:43:46 +0100, Thomas Prufer
wrote:

Sometimes works: Solid, thick block of wood, placed against most of the length
of the wood partition. Smack wood block with hammer.

I realized that this is unclear just after sending... the smacking is parallel
to the glass, i.e. the thick block of wood is pressing outwards from the middle
of the pane.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/2013 05:47, Gib Bogle wrote:
I found a long post online by someone who sounded as if he knew what he
was talking about.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/removi...acement-30292/

(you have to scroll to the bottom)
He said apply a mixture of linseed oil and chlorine bleach with the
frame lying flat, for a day or so. Apparently the linseed oil will
penetrate into the putty and soften it, while the chlorine attacks the
calcite in the putty (which is made from high-calcite lime and linseed
oil) and does something. Anyone tried this?

As it's summer down your way, that might be worth a try!
I'd break the glass first and use the shards to prise the putty away
from the wood. If the putty is still soft inside (and it's amazing how
much of it is), it should separate easily

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2013 12:33 a.m., stuart noble wrote:
On 24/11/2013 05:47, Gib Bogle wrote:
I found a long post online by someone who sounded as if he knew what he
was talking about.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/removi...acement-30292/

(you have to scroll to the bottom)
He said apply a mixture of linseed oil and chlorine bleach with the
frame lying flat, for a day or so. Apparently the linseed oil will
penetrate into the putty and soften it, while the chlorine attacks the
calcite in the putty (which is made from high-calcite lime and linseed
oil) and does something. Anyone tried this?

As it's summer down your way, that might be worth a try!
I'd break the glass first and use the shards to prise the putty away
from the wood. If the putty is still soft inside (and it's amazing how
much of it is), it should separate easily

I've recently removed similar panes from an old door. Most of the putty
was rock hard, except for a couple of panes that had obviously been
replaced. Still, your suggestion is worth a try.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Gib Bogle
writes

http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/removi...-glass-replace
ment-30292/

(you have to scroll to the bottom)
He said apply a mixture of linseed oil and chlorine bleach with the
frame lying flat, for a day or so. Apparently the linseed oil will
penetrate into the putty and soften it, while the chlorine attacks the
calcite in the putty (which is made from high-calcite lime and linseed
oil) and does something. Anyone tried this?

As it's summer down your way, that might be worth a try!
I'd break the glass first and use the shards to prise the putty away
from the wood. If the putty is still soft inside (and it's amazing how
much of it is), it should separate easily

I've recently removed similar panes from an old door. Most of the
putty was rock hard, except for a couple of panes that had obviously
been replaced. Still, your suggestion is worth a try.

You can apparently use an infra-red heater to soften the putty.

I've even seen them (on the web) specially for putty and paint removal
--
Chris French

Insulating sticky putty removal help please [email protected] Electronics Repair 7 November 30th 12 12:43 AM
Putty Adrian Simpson UK diy 9 July 28th 10 09:58 AM
Poster putty removal...WD40? O.B. Juan Home Repair 1 August 23rd 06 01:57 AM
Silly Putty Stain Removal Danduckeli Home Repair 2 April 19th 06 07:04 AM
Which glazing putty to use? Max UK diy 6 May 9th 05 11:09 PM