Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Light Fitting Recommendation

Hi all

I'm looking for a light fitting to illuminate a pathway alongside a
single storey kitchen extension.
Preferably a single fitting mounted high enough up the gable end to shed
light either side of a gate in the pathway (pathway length 5m).
I don't want to illuminate an area too far from the house wall or dazzle
the neighbours opposite.
Does anyone have experience of a suitable fitting?

Also, what are the options for instant illumination? Do I have to use
an oversize energy saver so that when it is first switched on it
produces a reasonable amount of light?

I think I have 100W equivalent energy savers in other fittings and they
are hopeless (even after a half hour warm up).

Thanks

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2013 17:04, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

I'm looking for a light fitting to illuminate a pathway alongside a
single storey kitchen extension.
Preferably a single fitting mounted high enough up the gable end to shed
light either side of a gate in the pathway (pathway length 5m).
I don't want to illuminate an area too far from the house wall or dazzle
the neighbours opposite.
Does anyone have experience of a suitable fitting?

Also, what are the options for instant illumination? Do I have to use
an oversize energy saver so that when it is first switched on it
produces a reasonable amount of light?

I think I have 100W equivalent energy savers in other fittings and they
are hopeless (even after a half hour warm up).

Thanks

Phil

Well, I am using LEDs. So far some outdoor "fairy" lights. They are ***
very *** non-dazzle but only give a gentle glow. Also bought but not yet
fitted a small waterproof 12V LED lamp. Will let you know when I fit it
at the weekend. I intend to have maybe three or four if I like them.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2013 17:04, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

I'm looking for a light fitting to illuminate a pathway alongside a
single storey kitchen extension.
Preferably a single fitting mounted high enough up the gable end to shed
light either side of a gate in the pathway (pathway length 5m).
I don't want to illuminate an area too far from the house wall or dazzle
the neighbours opposite.
Does anyone have experience of a suitable fitting?

Also, what are the options for instant illumination? Do I have to use
an oversize energy saver so that when it is first switched on it
produces a reasonable amount of light?

I think I have 100W equivalent energy savers in other fittings and they
are hopeless (even after a half hour warm up).

Thanks

Phil

Instant light = LED

LED floodlight with cool/day white (not warm white) single LEDs. Point
them almost directly downward. Perhaps fit a thin metal plate to
restrict the light from your neighbours

Example
http://tinyurl.com/njf6pgs

You probably don't need more than 10 or 20W to illuminate 5m. I have
10W version pointing upwards and using a white porch ceiling to reflect
the light to illuminate my front door and car hard-standing in the front
garden. I've also got it wired into a dusk to dawn switch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"thescullster" wrote in message
Hi all

I'm looking for a light fitting to illuminate a pathway alongside a single
storey kitchen extension.
Preferably a single fitting mounted high enough up the gable end to shed
light either side of a gate in the pathway (pathway length 5m).
I don't want to illuminate an area too far from the house wall or dazzle
the neighbours opposite.
Does anyone have experience of a suitable fitting?

Also, what are the options for instant illumination? Do I have to use an
oversize energy saver so that when it is first switched on it produces a
reasonable amount of light?

I think I have 100W equivalent energy savers in other fittings and they
are hopeless (even after a half hour warm up).

Thanks

You might try looking at Steinel stuff. I first heard the name on this ng.
Not cheap but V good.
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"thescullster" wrote in message
Hi all

I'm looking for a light fitting to illuminate a pathway alongside a single
storey kitchen extension.
Preferably a single fitting mounted high enough up the gable end to shed
light either side of a gate in the pathway (pathway length 5m).
I don't want to illuminate an area too far from the house wall or dazzle
the neighbours opposite.
Does anyone have experience of a suitable fitting?

Also, what are the options for instant illumination? Do I have to use an
oversize energy saver so that when it is first switched on it produces a
reasonable amount of light?

I think I have 100W equivalent energy savers in other fittings and they
are hopeless (even after a half hour warm up).

Thanks

Phil

Have you considered two light fittings? Spaced apart as far as possible
from the middle of the gable end and still allow the cables for the lights
to enter the loft above the kitchen. It spreads the light around better than
one flood light and gives less shadows.

--
Adam

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 5:04:57 PM UTC, thescullster wrote:
Hi all
I'm looking for a light fitting to illuminate a pathway alongside a
single storey kitchen extension.
Preferably a single fitting mounted high enough up the gable end to shed
light either side of a gate in the pathway (pathway length 5m).
I don't want to illuminate an area too far from the house wall or dazzle
the neighbours opposite.
Does anyone have experience of a suitable fitting?
Also, what are the options for instant illumination? Do I have to use
an oversize energy saver so that when it is first switched on it
produces a reasonable amount of light?
I think I have 100W equivalent energy savers in other fittings and they
are hopeless (even after a half hour warm up).
Thanks
Phil

LV LEDs would make life easier

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2013 20:11, ARW wrote:
[...]

Hi Adam

Being the lazy article like what I am, I was hoping to get away with a
single fitting. But I suspect you are right, particularly with the gate
half way down.

By the way, no word from Mr B yet despite NICEIC definitely posting the
job and me sending the test certs for all works! I wonder if there's a
specific time limit on a council response!

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
thescullster writes:
On 14/11/2013 23:00, wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all

I'll have to investigate these LED jobbies - not got too involved with
them so far.

I got one the the CPC 20W ones (which look the same as most of the others
being offered by other vendors). I also got one of the Costco Duralite
portable LED worklights (17.5W) when I noticed it on special offer.

The Duralite one has a noticeably higher light output (although it is
actually rated lower), better colour rendering, and a larger light
source made from 30 or so LEDs behind a diffuser, so not so painful
when you catch a glance of it. I ended up botching that instead to
use as a driveway light (fixing a different mounting bracket).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2013 17:00, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

The Duralite one has a noticeably higher light output (although it is
actually rated lower), better colour rendering,

Maybe because the Duralite items used cool white LEDs (6500K daylight)
rather than warm white that may have been used in the other light. In my
opinion cool white is better for outside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, November 15, 2013 1:37:08 PM UTC, thescullster wrote:

I'll have to investigate these LED jobbies - not got too involved with
them so far.

A row of piddle power ones under the soffits would last forever if you significantly underrun them - no loss of efficiency.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 14/11/2013 20:11, ARW wrote:
[...]

I believe it takes an hour after asking:-)

--
Adam

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan writes:
On 15/11/2013 17:00, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

The Duralite one has a noticeably higher light output (although it is
actually rated lower), better colour rendering,

Maybe because the Duralite items used cool white LEDs (6500K daylight)
rather than warm white that may have been used in the other light. In my
opinion cool white is better for outside.

Other way around. The Duralite is 5000K, whereas the CPC is 6500K.
Although both these are in the cool white range (which is fine for
outdoor night time use).

--
Andrew Gabriel