Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rads???

Looking for a new rad for the lounge at Handyman Towers.

Wickes list a 60mm high x 700mm wide @ 4370btu/1280w and a 700mm high x
60mm wide @ 3952btu/1158w

Since they are exactly the same surface area, why is one 10% more
efficient than the other?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Looking for a new rad for the lounge at Handyman Towers.

Wickes list a 60mm high x 700mm wide @ 4370btu/1280w and a 700mm high x
60mm wide @ 3952btu/1158w

Since they are exactly the same surface area, why is one 10% more
efficient than the other?

Do they have the same surface area though? The fins between the two
panels cover nearly the whole width, but stop well short of the full
height. I guess that means the two shapes have differing fin surface
areas. I can't be bothered to do the maths though.

Then there's the trade-off between many short fins and few tall ones...

Cheers,

Colin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Looking for a new rad for the lounge at Handyman Towers.

Wickes list a 60mm high x 700mm wide @ 4370btu/1280w and a 700mm high x
60mm wide @ 3952btu/1158w

Since they are exactly the same surface area, why is one 10% more
efficient than the other?

But are they "exactly the same surface area"?

Is the pattern of waterways and between waterways identical?

Are the waterways the same diameter, shape length and volume?

Are they the same thickness?

If they have fins are the fins exactly the same size and number?

Is the spacing of the fins the same?

Anything else different that could effect the efficiency?

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2013 21:10, Colin Stamp wrote:
Looking for a new rad for the lounge at Handyman Towers.

Wickes list a 60mm high x 700mm wide @ 4370btu/1280w and a 700mm high x
60mm wide @ 3952btu/1158w

Since they are exactly the same surface area, why is one 10% more
efficient than the other?

Do they have the same surface area though? The fins between the two
panels cover nearly the whole width, but stop well short of the full
height. I guess that means the two shapes have differing fin surface
areas. I can't be bothered to do the maths though.

Then there's the trade-off between many short fins and few tall ones...

Cheers,

Colin.

Even if they did they wouldn't match.
As the air rises next to the rad it gets hotter and the heat transfer
gets less as the temp difference is less.
So the extra 100 mm on the height will transfer less heat than the extra
100 mm on the width.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman writes:
Looking for a new rad for the lounge at Handyman Towers.

Wickes list a 60mm high x 700mm wide @ 4370btu/1280w and a 700mm high x
60mm wide @ 3952btu/1158w

Since they are exactly the same surface area, why is one 10% more
efficient than the other?

Height is more efficient than width, due to chimney effect.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, November 9, 2013 8:52:04 PM UTC, The Medway Handyman wrote:
Looking for a new rad for the lounge at Handyman Towers.
Since they are exactly the same surface area, why is one 10% more
efficient than the other?

It's not any more efficient; it has a higher output.

It is possible that different specs are given for different water flow and return temperatures.

Mrs Handyman will probably prefer (a) the more expensive or (b) the one you didn't buy.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2013 23:03, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In ,
The Medway writes:
Looking for a new rad for the lounge at Handyman Towers.

Wickes list a 60mm high x 700mm wide @ 4370btu/1280w and a 700mm high x
60mm wide @ 3952btu/1158w

Since they are exactly the same surface area, why is one 10% more
efficient than the other?

Height is more efficient than width, due to chimney effect.

Except that the higher narrower one claims to give out *less* heat!

[I'm assuming that the smaller dimension is 600 in each case, and not 60!]
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Saturday, November 9, 2013 8:52:04 PM UTC, The Medway Handyman wrote:
Looking for a new rad for the lounge at Handyman Towers.
Since they are exactly the same surface area, why is one 10% more
efficient than the other?

It's not any more efficient; it has a higher output.

It is possible that different specs are given for different water flow and
return temperatures.

Mrs Handyman will probably prefer (a) the more expensive or (b) the one
you didn't buy.

I'm sure Mrs Handyman prefers the one that matches the
wallpaper/curtains/sofa/this weeks' choice of paper napkins

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Looking for a new rad for the lounge at Handyman Towers.

Wickes list a 60mm high x 700mm wide @ 4370btu/1280w and a 700mm high x
60mm wide @ 3952btu/1158w

Since they are exactly the same surface area, why is one 10% more
efficient than the other?

How many fin things do they have?

There's a number coding something like
11 - having one panel and one fin
12 one panel and 2 fins
21 having two panels and one fin
22 two panels and 2 fins.

They might not be called fins.. but you know the things I mean.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mogga writes:

How many fin things do they have?

There's a number coding something like
11 - having one panel and one fin
12 one panel and 2 fins

Never seen one of those!

21 having two panels and one fin
22 two panels and 2 fins.

Four of mine have 3 panels 3 fins.

They might not be called fins.. but you know the things I mean.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

However the fins are arranged, the unit that stands taller will not
radiate heat as efficiently. By the time the convection current
carries the air from bottom to the top of the radiator, it will hotter
than that of the wider, lower unit. So assuming that the surface area
including fins is the same, then the heat tranfer would be limited by
the reduced temperature gradient as the increasingly warmer air
ascends.

I'm not sure it's so simple. I can't do the sums but as others have
pointed out there is eg the way that the velocity of air flow increases
with the height of the radiator. (Hence eg one book states "a long, low
radiator will therefore give lower convective output than a short tall
radiator of the same area"[1]). I'm inclined then to think that the
radiator manufacturers' figures are realisitic - not least as there'd be
open to prosecution if they are demonstrably wrong.

[1]Heat and Mass Transfer in Buildings (Hardback) By (author) Keith Moss

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 16:53:46 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

There's a number coding something like
11 - having one panel and one fin
12 one panel and 2 fins

Never seen one of those!

Neither have I! Unless always covered, there'd be fins sticking out at the
front - bit sharp for domestic use.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 08:48:39 +0000, PeterC
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 16:53:46 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

There's a number coding something like
11 - having one panel and one fin
12 one panel and 2 fins

Never seen one of those!

Neither have I! Unless always covered, there'd be fins sticking out at the
front - bit sharp for domestic use.

I only said it was something like...
Couldn't find the document I'd read it on the other week...

That's a 12 but apparently not as I remembered...
http://www.soakology.co.uk/Kermi-Hea...120612W02#zoom
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 16:53:46 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

There's a number coding something like
11 - having one panel and one fin
12 one panel and 2 fins

Never seen one of those!

Neither have I! Unless always covered, there'd be fins sticking out at the
front - bit sharp for domestic use.

I only said it was something like...
Couldn't find the document I'd read it on the other week...

That's a 12 but apparently not as I remembered...
http://www.soakology.co.uk/Kermi-Hea...120612W02#zoom

The photo shows that it is 'covered'; the diagram looks like half a 22 and
half a 21.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

why is one 10% more efficient than the other?

While we're on radiators ... most rads you see nowadays are plumbed
BBOE, is there any reason not to plumb them TBSE? Providing support to
the tall vertical pipe I can see being one possible issue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns writes:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

why is one 10% more efficient than the other?

While we're on radiators ... most rads you see nowadays are plumbed
BBOE, is there any reason not to plumb them TBSE? Providing support to
the tall vertical pipe I can see being one possible issue.

The important thing is that the outlet is at the bottom.
On a gravity system, the inlet must be at the top.
On a pumped system, inlet can be top or bottom.
When inlet is connected to the bottom, if you look at the
radiator with an IR camera, you can see the hot water all
rises directly to the top in the first channel, and piping
it to the top instead makes no difference.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Rads again Ben Short UK diy 3 December 3rd 09 02:41 PM
Look, no rads [email protected] UK diy 31 February 8th 07 03:54 PM
Less than 50% rads should have TRV's ??? [email protected] UK diy 37 December 12th 06 01:35 PM
New Rads [email protected] UK diy 2 August 10th 05 08:56 PM
New rads help? Matthew UK diy 3 April 15th 05 09:02 PM