Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toolsatan oddity

Desmond went into our local Toolsatan to order something & proffered a
Scottish £5 note. They refused to accept it.

He went to the Screwfix next door & they accepted it no problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 21:18:57 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Desmond went into our local Toolsatan to order something & proffered a
Scottish £5 note. They refused to accept it.

He went to the Screwfix next door & they accepted it no problem.

AFAIK they are not actually legal tender in England so it's entirely up
to them.

I wonder if some banks actually charge to accept them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2013 21:50, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 21:18:57 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Desmond went into our local Toolsatan to order something & proffered a
Scottish £5 note. They refused to accept it.

He went to the Screwfix next door & they accepted it no problem.

AFAIK they are not actually legal tender in England so it's entirely up
to them.

I wonder if some banks actually charge to accept them.

It is also much more likely that staff who are unfamiliar with them, and
quite likely don't have any others for comparison, could be taken in by
even poor quality dodgy Scottish notes.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Desmond went into our local Toolsatan to order something & proffered a
Scottish £5 note. They refused to accept it.

He went to the Screwfix next door & they accepted it no problem.

Went to Western Scotland this summer - made sure that I disn't bring any
Scottish notes with me - just before I returned I asked for an English
note in change - no problem
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Desmond went into our local Toolsatan to order something & proffered a
Scottish £5 note. They refused to accept it.

He went to the Screwfix next door & they accepted it no problem.

I think you may find that this link explains it.

https://vacancies.toolstationjobs.com/site/

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Desmond went into our local Toolsatan to order something & proffered a

Scottish £5 note. They refused to accept it.

He went to the Screwfix next door & they accepted it no problem.

I think you may find that this link explains it.

https://vacancies.toolstationjobs.com/site/

We got given a Scottish tenner as change last Wednesday at a B & Q. I handed it over and asked for a "real one" instead. The guy on the 'till began to baulk, but when I explained, loudly, that it wasn't legal tender, that there was no way either of us could know if it was a fake or not and, further, it was unlikely I'd be able to fob it off on anyone else, he caved. As I walked away I heard the next mug/customer say, "And don't try giving it to me either"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Desmond went into our local Toolsatan to order something & proffered a
Scottish £5 note. They refused to accept it.

He went to the Screwfix next door & they accepted it no problem.

I think you may find that this link explains it.

https://vacancies.toolstationjobs.com/site/

AB

Talking of TS staff, the girl that served me recently looked really
weird. This was before Halloween, but she looked like she'd dressed up
well in advance. I was expecting the worst but she was super fast,
polite, and extremely pleasant to deal with. Must control those
prejudices of mine!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Desmond went into our local Toolsatan to order something & proffered a
Scottish £5 note. They refused to accept it.

He went to the Screwfix next door & they accepted it no problem.

I think you may find that this link explains it.

https://vacancies.toolstationjobs.com/site/

Do they have any full time sales staff. All sales assistant positions
listed there are fore 20hrs per week or less. Is there some advantage
to having more staff on less hours?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Desmond went into our local Toolsatan to order something & proffered a
Scottish £5 note. They refused to accept it.

He went to the Screwfix next door & they accepted it no problem.

I think you may find that this link explains it.

https://vacancies.toolstationjobs.com/site/

AB

Talking of TS staff, the girl that served me recently looked really weird.
This was before Halloween, but she looked like she'd dressed up well in
advance. I was expecting the worst but she was super fast, polite, and
extremely pleasant to deal with. Must control those prejudices of mine!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknot...h ern_Ireland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Desmond went into our local Toolsatan to order something & proffered a
Scottish £5 note. They refused to accept it.

He went to the Screwfix next door & they accepted it no problem.

I think you may find that this link explains it.

https://vacancies.toolstationjobs.com/site/

Do they have any full time sales staff. All sales assistant positions
listed there are fore 20hrs per week or less. Is there some advantage
to having more staff on less hours?

Not for the company, but if you work less than a certain number of hours
a week, you become eligible for some benefits that are refused
otherwise, so it can pay you more per week to work 19 hours than 25.
When you're on the legal minimum wage as most shop workers are, this is
important.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 4, 2013 9:47:21 AM UTC, Andrew May wrote:
Do they have any full time sales staff. All sales assistant positions
listed there are fore 20hrs per week or less. Is there some advantage
to having more staff on less hours?

Yes - no employer's national insurance contributions to pay if they can keep the weekly wage below £148. I think that's about a 13% saving to the employer.
http://www.cwu.org/news/archive/chan...ency-pay..html

It does mean that those workers aren't contributing to their state pension but that's their problem in the future, not the employers' problem now.

Working over 16 hours a week disqualifies eligibility for JSA or ESA, working less than 30 hours a week usually disqualifies eligibility for working tax credits. It's not a good deal for employees.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Desmond went into our local Toolsatan to order something & proffered a
Scottish £5 note. They refused to accept it.

He went to the Screwfix next door & they accepted it no problem.

A business is not obliged to accept them in the England. AFAIK they are
not actually obliged to in Scotland either.

--
Peter Crosland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2013 21:50, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 21:18:57 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Desmond went into our local Toolsatan to order something & proffered a
Scottish £5 note. They refused to accept it.

He went to the Screwfix next door & they accepted it no problem.

AFAIK they are not actually legal tender in England so it's entirely up
to them.

I wonder if some banks actually charge to accept them.

They don't charge any more for accepting Scottish or Irish notes than
they do for Bank of England notes.

--
Peter Crosland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Desmond went into our local Toolsatan to order something & proffered a

Scottish £5 note. They refused to accept it.

He went to the Screwfix next door & they accepted it no problem.

I think you may find that this link explains it.

https://vacancies.toolstationjobs.com/site/

Do they have any full time sales staff. All sales assistant positions

listed there are fore 20hrs per week or less. Is there some advantage

to having more staff on less hours?

It's an extention of zero hour contracts. Employ them for 20 hours, keep them on when it's busy, send them home when it goes quiet.

It's the wonders of globalisation and immigration. Staff have become a commodity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Desmond went into our local Toolsatan to order something & proffered a

Scottish £5 note. They refused to accept it.

He went to the Screwfix next door & they accepted it no problem.

I think you may find that this link explains it.

https://vacancies.toolstationjobs.com/site/

Do they have any full time sales staff. All sales assistant positions

listed there are fore 20hrs per week or less. Is there some advantage

to having more staff on less hours?

Not for the company,

I thought companies didn;t have top contribute to yuor pension scheme and tehre were some other NI benifits for teh employer if they employed staff under 20 hours per week, but maybe it's changed since the 90s.

but if you work less than a certain number of hours

a week, you become eligible for some benefits that are refused

otherwise, so it can pay you more per week to work 19 hours than 25.

When you're on the legal minimum wage as most shop workers are, this is

important.

--

Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Desmond went into our local Toolsatan to order something & proffered a
Scottish £5 note. They refused to accept it.
He went to the Screwfix next door & they accepted it no problem.
I think you may find that this link explains it.
https://vacancies.toolstationjobs.com/site/
Do they have any full time sales staff. All sales assistant positions
listed there are fore 20hrs per week or less. Is there some advantage
to having more staff on less hours?

Not for the company,

I thought companies didn;t have top contribute to yuor pension scheme and tehre were some other NI benifits for teh employer if they employed staff under 20 hours per week, but maybe it's changed since the 90s.

Or it's been so long since I had anything to do with the benefits system
(Mid '80s?) that I've misremembered the details, which have likely
changed anyway.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-11-04, Peter Crosland wrote:
Desmond went into our local Toolsatan to order something & proffered a
Scottish £5 note. They refused to accept it.

He went to the Screwfix next door & they accepted it no problem.

A business is not obliged to accept them in the England. AFAIK they are
not actually obliged to in Scotland either.

No-one is obliged to accept them anywhere. Legally speaking, they aren't
actually money. OTOH, I have never had trouble spending them and have no
qualms about accepting them.

I'm happy with Scottish notes, but did make sure we got rid of the NI
ones before we crossed back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Desmond went into our local Toolsatan to order something & proffered a
Scottish £5 note. They refused to accept it.

He went to the Screwfix next door & they accepted it no problem.

I think you may find that this link explains it.

https://vacancies.toolstationjobs.com/site/

Do they have any full time sales staff. All sales assistant positions
listed there are fore 20hrs per week or less. Is there some advantage
to having more staff on less hours?

It means you have twice the staff so if one is off there is less disruption.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Desmond went into our local Toolsatan to order something & proffered a
Scottish £5 note. They refused to accept it.

He went to the Screwfix next door & they accepted it no problem.

I think you may find that this link explains it.

https://vacancies.toolstationjobs.com/site/

Do they have any full time sales staff. All sales assistant positions
listed there are fore 20hrs per week or less. Is there some advantage
to having more staff on less hours?

It means you have twice the staff so if one is off there is less
disruption.

But twice as many staff are likely to be off...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Desmond went into our local Toolsatan to order something & proffered a
Scottish £5 note. They refused to accept it.

He went to the Screwfix next door & they accepted it no problem.

I think you may find that this link explains it.

https://vacancies.toolstationjobs.com/site/

Do they have any full time sales staff. All sales assistant positions
listed there are fore 20hrs per week or less. Is there some advantage
to having more staff on less hours?

It means you have twice the staff so if one is off there is less
disruption.

But twice as many staff are likely to be off...

Not true.
The illness rate may be double but holidays, etc. are a little more
organized.
Anyway just because there is twice the likelihood of someone being off
ill doesn't mean there is twice the likelihood of two being off together.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis@home View Post
wrote:

[...]

Simple answer to all of the above?

Pay any such staff in Scottish bank notes?

Job done nice one.

As a result the production of Scottish bank notes rises and RBS gets out of jail free and clear?

Now all we have to consider is the English owned Bank of Scotland? [ Lloyds banking Group]

There is the possibility that RBS may also be owned by an English company ? ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:50:13 PM UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 21:18:57 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:
Desmond went into our local Toolsatan to order something & proffered a
Scottish £5 note. They refused to accept it.

AFAIK they are not actually legal tender in England

They're not legal tender in Scotland either. That is a lot less
significant than you think. "Legal tender" means (roughly) money
that you can pay into court to settle litigation.

so it's entirely up to them.

Whether or not they are legal tender, it is entirely up to them
whether they accept them or not. One pound coins are legal
tender in any amount, but I think you'd find most shops would refuse
to accept them to pay £1000 bill.

See http://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/pol...der-guidelines
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 November 2013 14:51:43 UTC, Martin Bonner wrote:

I think you'd find most shops would refuse
to accept them to pay £1000 bill.

I don't think I would have much trouble receiving a thousand quid off anyone who wanted to pour it my way.

(Name and address supplied to anyone interested in the protocol; TIA.)