Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

Default Kitchen worktops

On 26/10/2013 08:12, Phil C. wrote:
We need new worktops in the kitchen. We're thinking of oak, made of
pieces pressed together. Not too expensive (apparently), and easy for a
friend to shape and for me to get wheelchair access. But do they last
well and cope with water staining around sink etc? Any opinions?

Thanks for all the ideas and experiences. We're currently at thinking
stage. The kitchen was created from a hallway in the middle of the house
for my disabled access. So it's on frequent public view. It needs to
look reasonably okay in a ramshackle, rustic C18-19th house. Current
worktop is pretty basic cheapo and damaged. My new wheelchair needs a
clearer run through oddly shaped kitchen without hitting worktop, narrow
doorways etc.

Budget limited but a very capable relative is kindly doing the work.
He'll shape new worktops by hand. He's extremely good at finding and
re-using materials, including wood. Googling produces endless different
opinions on wooden surfaces, so opinions of actual users are very helpful.

I agree with those who've expressed concerns about sustainable sources
etc. I think we'll do pretty well on that front. If it's not possible,
we certainly try to make up for it in other ways e.g. salvaging the
wrecked wooden kitchen fixtures that others throw out, to re-use or just
burn on the stove!
--
Phil C.

What's the best way to cut kitchen worktops? Nige UK diy 6 April 28th 07 01:43 PM
Kitchen Worktops graham UK diy 14 February 20th 07 03:49 PM
Kitchen worktops David UK diy 1 October 8th 05 11:31 AM
Kitchen worktops HD UK diy 5 June 16th 04 09:11 AM