Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT What has my bloody dog been eating?

Idiot dog, labrador, eats anything he comes across including all the animal
poop from the farm I live near. Twice now in the last few days he's vomited
up what looks like some sort of seed pod. About 3 inches long, a bit like a
small banana, hard woody ends and the insides vaguely like an onion. Looks
like he swallowed them almost whole. I'm stumped as to what they might be or
where he's getting them from.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-10-25, Dave Baker wrote:
Idiot dog, labrador, eats anything he comes across including all the animal
poop from the farm I live near. Twice now in the last few days he's vomited
up what looks like some sort of seed pod. About 3 inches long, a bit like a
small banana, hard woody ends and the insides vaguely like an onion. Looks
like he swallowed them almost whole. I'm stumped as to what they might be or
where he's getting them from.

Vanilla pod?

Never seen one that short, but reminds me a bit of Laburnum, which ISTR
is toxic
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
writes

Vanilla pod?

Does sound like it, also I have a large yucca-type plant in the garden
which produces pods like that at the ends of its stems after flowering,
similar to these:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8290/7...7a3b09b6_z.jpg

On the positive side, vanilla pods should make Fido's poop smell a bit
better...

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Baker wrote:
Idiot dog, labrador, eats anything he comes across including all the
animal poop from the farm I live near. Twice now in the last few days
he's vomited up what looks like some sort of seed pod. About 3 inches
long, a bit like a small banana, hard woody ends and the insides
vaguely like an onion. Looks like he swallowed them almost whole. I'm
stumped as to what they might be or where he's getting them from.

The dog walkers round here tend to put muzzles on labradors. Given their
reputation for being good tempered beasts, I asked and was told it was to
stop them eating everything they could.

--
*The most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/25/2013 10:30 AM, Dave Baker wrote:
Idiot dog, labrador, eats anything he comes across including all the
animal poop from the farm I live near. Twice now in the last few days
he's vomited up what looks like some sort of seed pod. About 3 inches
long, a bit like a small banana, hard woody ends and the insides vaguely
like an onion. Looks like he swallowed them almost whole. I'm stumped as
to what they might be or where he's getting them from.

Sounds a little like immature corncob but it's a bit late in the season
now. Might be some left over after harvesting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge put finger to keyboard:

On 2013-10-25, Dave Baker wrote:
Idiot dog, labrador, eats anything he comes across including all the
animal poop from the farm I live near. Twice now in the last few days
he's vomited up what looks like some sort of seed pod. About 3 inches
long, a bit like a small banana, hard woody ends and the insides
vaguely like an onion. Looks like he swallowed them almost whole. I'm
stumped as to what they might be or where he's getting them from.

Vanilla pod?

Never seen one that short, but reminds me a bit of Laburnum, which ISTR
is toxic

Good point. We had a Laburnam tree in our front garden at our last
house, which I always hoped would poison one of the schoolchildren who
left large quantities of litter. Never did, sadly.

Presumably hanging a sign on the tree with "Delicious Snack Tree" in
massive letters, with "This is not a" in tiny writing just above, would be
frowned upon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:
Idiot dog, labrador, eats anything he comes across including all the
animal poop from the farm I live near. Twice now in the last few days
he's vomited up what looks like some sort of seed pod. About 3 inches
long, a bit like a small banana, hard woody ends and the insides
vaguely like an onion. Looks like he swallowed them almost whole. I'm
stumped as to what they might be or where he's getting them from.

is there a pond local to you? - they sound like iris pseudacorus pods
(yellow pond iris) these look like small green bananas and the seeds inside
are round but I'm not sure they resemble onions, although they may do after
they've been partially digested by a labrador, have a look at these pics:
http://snipurl.com/2823xmu

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dave Baker wrote:
Idiot dog, labrador, eats anything he comes across including all the
animal poop from the farm I live near. Twice now in the last few days
he's vomited up what looks like some sort of seed pod. About 3 inches
long, a bit like a small banana, hard woody ends and the insides
vaguely like an onion. Looks like he swallowed them almost whole. I'm
stumped as to what they might be or where he's getting them from.

The dog walkers round here tend to put muzzles on labradors. Given
their reputation for being good tempered beasts, I asked and was told
it was to stop them eating everything they could.

That's what labradors do. As a child I quickly learnt that I did not have to
eat the cold sprouts at my Grandparents Sunday dinner as the Lab sat under
the table would eat them for me.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Chris Hogg
escribió:

Phormium tenax, aka New Zealand Flax. More pictures of seed pods he

That's the one, thank you, I googled for a while trying to identify it
but failed.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6078/6...04977b4d_o.jpg

Not mine but very similar, the leaves are darker, maybe because it's in
a north-facing garden. Seems happy enough though, the rate it grows.
It's full of seed pods now.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
Dave Baker wrote:
Idiot dog, labrador, eats anything he comes across including all the
animal poop from the farm I live near. Twice now in the last few days
he's vomited up what looks like some sort of seed pod. About 3 inches
long, a bit like a small banana, hard woody ends and the insides
vaguely like an onion. Looks like he swallowed them almost whole. I'm
stumped as to what they might be or where he's getting them from.

is there a pond local to you? - they sound like iris pseudacorus pods
(yellow pond iris) these look like small green bananas and the seeds
inside are round but I'm not sure they resemble onions, although they may
do after they've been partially digested by a labrador, have a look at
these pics:
http://snipurl.com/2823xmu

That looks quite like it. I might have misled by saying "seed pod" because I
have no actual reason to believe they contained seeds so perhaps I should
have stuck to "pod" on its own. I'd say they were about 1" in diameter x 3"
to 4" long hence the "like a small banana" bit. There is a pond about half a
mile away but whether he roams that far I have no idea.

Last night what came up was a mess of quite large grass and other sundry
plant stalks. God knows he gets enough actual dog food to eat to not have to
rely on foliage but as others have said, that's bloody labradors for you.

Earlier this year I forgot about a small tin of opened cat food at the back
of the fridge for about a month. When I spotted it it was covered in mould,
had gone all green and slimy and the smell was so bad I stuck it out on the
back step overnight cos I couldn't be arsed to put my boots on and take it
round to the bin. Sure enough feckin dog ate it all first time I let him out
for a wee.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/2013 18:35, Dave Baker wrote:

Last night what came up was a mess of quite large grass and other sundry
plant stalks. God knows he gets enough actual dog food to eat to not
have to rely on foliage but as others have said, that's bloody labradors
for you.

I *believe* that dogs will eat grass and possibly other foliage when
they are feeling sick, to act as an emetic. I've known at least two that
do this, but sufficiently irregularly for it to be a simple habit. And
some don't seem to do it at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-10-25, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Chris Hogg
escribió:

Phormium tenax, aka New Zealand Flax. More pictures of seed pods he

That's the one, thank you, I googled for a while trying to identify it
but failed.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6078/6...04977b4d_o.jpg

Not mine but very similar, the leaves are darker, maybe because it's in
a north-facing garden. Seems happy enough though, the rate it grows.
It's full of seed pods now.

All ours died last winter. (

A friend's lab used to "eat" stones. I think surgery was required in the end
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
On 25/10/2013 18:35, Dave Baker wrote:

Last night what came up was a mess of quite large grass and other
sundry plant stalks. God knows he gets enough actual dog food to eat
to not have to rely on foliage but as others have said, that's
bloody labradors for you.

I *believe* that dogs will eat grass and possibly other foliage when
they are feeling sick, to act as an emetic. I've known at least two
that do this, but sufficiently irregularly for it to be a simple
habit. And some don't seem to do it at all.

I'm not sure it's because they feel sick, my dog grazes like a horse when
she's out, but she never vomits the grass back up, I've had other dogs that
did though

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Phil L" writes:
newshound wrote:
On 25/10/2013 18:35, Dave Baker wrote:

Last night what came up was a mess of quite large grass and other
sundry plant stalks. God knows he gets enough actual dog food to eat
to not have to rely on foliage but as others have said, that's
bloody labradors for you.

I *believe* that dogs will eat grass and possibly other foliage when
they are feeling sick, to act as an emetic. I've known at least two
that do this, but sufficiently irregularly for it to be a simple
habit. And some don't seem to do it at all.

I'm not sure it's because they feel sick, my dog grazes like a horse when
she's out, but she never vomits the grass back up, I've had other dogs that
did though

Cats eat small amounts of grass too. They are not able to digest
the cellulose to get the energy out of the grass though. Grass
contains folic acid which they need. They can also choose specific
types of grass to make them throw up the indigestable parts of
animals they've eaten such as fur and bones, which they probably
find more comfortable than allowing to pass all the way through.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 18:03:58 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

As a child I quickly learnt that I did not have to
eat the cold sprouts at my Grandparents Sunday dinner as the Lab sat under
the table would eat them for me.

Followed by an afternoon of grandparents being gassed.
"That bloody dog, what's it been eating?"

Cat farts are vile, though.

Dog eating house K Home Repair 24 September 9th 08 10:06 PM
What's eating my lagging? Ken UK diy 5 December 11th 05 05:31 PM
Eating outdoors KTECH Home Repair 17 September 16th 05 09:00 PM
Eating fox? (Aldi). Jerry Built UK diy 132 May 24th 04 03:39 PM
OT - was eating fox (Aldi) Tim Nicholson UK diy 2 May 10th 04 09:01 PM