Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Watching paint dry.

Or rather I don't want to watch it any longer.

I have painted a corner in my kitchen ( following lots of renovations and
electrics being moved etc -long story).

The corner is small and cramped and usually houses my freezer.

The paint I used was supposed to dry in two hours. 24 hours and counting
later, its still wet! Well not all of it. Just the part nearest the floor
( two feet and on the one wall.

I know its a kitchen. I know the corner is prone to condensation and since
all the way is now dry except this part, I am guessing its just lack of air
and hot damp atmosphere but is there a way I can dry it out quickly now? I
want my kitchen back

I have the dehumidifier on in the hope that will do it but its not going
very fast. I have had the windows open and the door but still no go

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:
I have the dehumidifier on in the hope that will do it but its not
going very fast. I have had the windows open and the door but still no go

I'd have had the fan heater on it by now. And running the dehumidifier
with the windows and doors open might do summat for your local climate,
but it won't dry out the kitchen much.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Williamson" wrote in message
sweetheart wrote:
I have the dehumidifier on in the hope that will do it but its not going
very fast. I have had the windows open and the door but still no go

I'd have had the fan heater on it by now. And running the dehumidifier
with the windows and doors open might do summat for your local climate,
but it won't dry out the kitchen much.

So, you aresaying it needs heat, not the water drawing out then?

Ok, I will get the fan heater out instead.

Thanks.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:
I have the dehumidifier on in the hope that will do it but its not
going very fast. I have had the windows open and the door but still
no go

I'd have had the fan heater on it by now. And running the dehumidifier
with the windows and doors open might do summat for your local
climate, but it won't dry out the kitchen much.

So, you aresaying it needs heat, not the water drawing out then?

Ok, I will get the fan heater out instead.

As I don't have a dehumidifier, gentle local heat's another way of
reducing the humidity in the area. Of course,if the paint's water based
and not drying because the damp's coming in through the substrate, you
may be on a loser no matter what you do.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

"John Williamson" wrote in message

As I don't have a dehumidifier, gentle local heat's another way of
reducing the humidity in the area. Of course,if the paint's water based
and not drying because the damp's coming in through the substrate, you may
be on a loser no matter what you do.

Water based paint? As in you clean the brishes with soapy water? Yes. Its
vynal matt kitchen paint ( magnolia in case you wonder).

I have closed the doors and windows and put the fan heater on and now its
drying off nicely.

Thank you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

"John Williamson" wrote in message

As I don't have a dehumidifier, gentle local heat's another way of
reducing the humidity in the area. Of course,if the paint's water based
and not drying because the damp's coming in through the substrate, you
may be on a loser no matter what you do.

Water based paint? As in you clean the brishes with soapy water? Yes. Its
vynal matt kitchen paint ( magnolia in case you wonder).

I have closed the doors and windows and put the fan heater on and now its
drying off nicely.

Thank you.

Using heat to dry paint. Who would have thought of that? Amazing.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday 22 September 2013 11:56 wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Or rather I don't want to watch it any longer.

I have painted a corner in my kitchen ( following lots of renovations and
electrics being moved etc -long story).

The corner is small and cramped and usually houses my freezer.

The paint I used was supposed to dry in two hours. 24 hours and counting
later, its still wet! Well not all of it. Just the part nearest the floor
( two feet and on the one wall.

I know its a kitchen. I know the corner is prone to condensation and
since
all the way is now dry except this part, I am guessing its just lack of
air
and hot damp atmosphere but is there a way I can dry it out quickly now?
I want my kitchen back

I have the dehumidifier on in the hope that will do it but its not going
very fast. I have had the windows open and the door but still no go

I suggest one or the other. If dehumidifier is running, close teh doors and
windows.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You might have to take it off and dry the corner and paint it with some kind
of sealing gunge for it to work. You don't say what paint it was, but if it
was that non smelling acrilic stuff, I'd chuck it in the bin and get some
more normal stuff. I had a bit of bathroom wall done it that and it was
always tacky and then came off.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
Or rather I don't want to watch it any longer.

I have painted a corner in my kitchen ( following lots of renovations and
electrics being moved etc -long story).

The corner is small and cramped and usually houses my freezer.

The paint I used was supposed to dry in two hours. 24 hours and counting
later, its still wet! Well not all of it. Just the part nearest the floor
( two feet and on the one wall.

I know its a kitchen. I know the corner is prone to condensation and
since all the way is now dry except this part, I am guessing its just
lack of air and hot damp atmosphere but is there a way I can dry it out
quickly now? I want my kitchen back

I have the dehumidifier on in the hope that will do it but its not going
very fast. I have had the windows open and the door but still no go

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2013 18:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
You might have to take it off and dry the corner and paint it with some kind
of sealing gunge for it to work. You don't say what paint it was, but if it
was that non smelling acrilic stuff, I'd chuck it in the bin and get some
more normal stuff. I had a bit of bathroom wall done it that and it was
always tacky and then came off.
Brian

Just hijacking this thread. A few years ago I painted the woodwork in
our hallway with as quick drying gloss (I can't remember the make). I
used quick drying, 'cos with three young kids and the only toilets being
upstairs, I couldn't keep them away from it for long! Anyway, it gave a
poor finish (more silk than gloss) and rapidly lost its sheen completely
wherever hands touched regularly. We tend to hang coats, scarves, school
blazers and the like on the newel post and suddenly, after 18 months or
so, the paint went soft and stuck to my wife's coat and silk scarf. Has
anyone else experienced this or has any idea why it would happen?

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:
Or rather I don't want to watch it any longer.

I have painted a corner in my kitchen ( following lots of renovations
and electrics being moved etc -long story).

The corner is small and cramped and usually houses my freezer.

The paint I used was supposed to dry in two hours. 24 hours and counting
later, its still wet! Well not all of it. Just the part nearest the
floor ( two feet and on the one wall.

Put the freezer back and forget about it.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

sweetheart wrote:
Or rather I don't want to watch it any longer.

I have painted a corner in my kitchen ( following lots of renovations
and electrics being moved etc -long story).

The corner is small and cramped and usually houses my freezer.

You need one of the new 90 degree corners. Anyone who is right on and is not
square has got one.

--
Adam

Watching Freeview TV News UK diy 42 December 9th 11 08:09 PM
Someone must be watching out for them............ Count de Monet[_3_] UK diy 6 September 4th 10 03:48 PM
The police is watching you b.head UK diy 0 August 12th 07 06:54 PM
My TV is watching me [email protected] Home Repair 12 June 3rd 07 06:42 AM
Anyone watching CH4... George UK diy 16 March 2nd 07 08:40 PM