Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Clearing guttering

Hi guys,

Is there a pleasant way to clear all the crud out of gutters? I mean a
not-too-horrible way at least? And what is that stuff?? It looks like
silty earth, but how the heck can earth get up to gutter level?? (I'm
talking bungalow level here, mind)

cheers,

cd
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi guys,

Is there a pleasant way to clear all the crud out of gutters? I mean a
not-too-horrible way at least? And what is that stuff?? It looks like
silty earth, but how the heck can earth get up to gutter level?? (I'm
talking bungalow level here, mind)

cheers,

cd

I can show you how NOT to do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RwKX34KjBs

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Cursitor Doom wrote:

Is there a pleasant way to clear all the crud out of gutters?

I can show you how NOT to do it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RwKX34KjBs

Last time (ok time before actually) I cleared mine, I was rewarded with
a handful of dead chick ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 21 September 2013 17:46:54 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

I can show you how NOT to do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RwKX34KjBs

Something I half wish I was ignorant about and 100% glad I am wiser now for seeing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrv78nG9R04

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 17:43:23 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

I can show you how NOT to do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RwKX34KjBs

Well, that's five minutes of my life I'll never get back.

spoiler
Why didn't the dozy fecker fall off?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

I was not ****ed enough.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 19:34:38 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

Why didn't the dozy fecker fall off?

I was not ****ed enough.

Oh, that was YOU?
So used to seeing your neighbours cocking things up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

Why didn't the dozy fecker fall off?

I was not ****ed enough.

Oh, that was YOU?
So used to seeing your neighbours cocking things up.

It's not often I have 8 pints before climbing a ladder.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2013 09:18, Brian Gaff wrote:
I recall someone not too far away buying a new pressure washer and
tried to use it to clear gutters, what a mess.. oh dear. brian

There's a franchise thing now that uses a long hose vacuum cleaner. They
give you a before and after video apparently. Handy for locations where
access is difficult

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday 21 September 2013 17:32 Cursitor Doom wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Hi guys,

Is there a pleasant way to clear all the crud out of gutters? I mean a
not-too-horrible way at least? And what is that stuff?? It looks like
silty earth, but how the heck can earth get up to gutter level?? (I'm
talking bungalow level here, mind)

cheers,

cd

Hose on a stick with a loop at the top so you can gently flush the gutters
down the downpipes?

Depending on whether you want the crud down your drains or not, you may need
a sieve at the bottom of the downpipe.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2013 17:32, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi guys,

Is there a pleasant way to clear all the crud out of gutters? I mean a
not-too-horrible way at least? And what is that stuff?? It looks like
silty earth, but how the heck can earth get up to gutter level?? (I'm
talking bungalow level here, mind)

cheers,

cd

Step ladder & hosepipe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi guys,

Is there a pleasant way to clear all the crud out of gutters? I mean a
not-too-horrible way at least? And what is that stuff?? It looks like
silty earth, but how the heck can earth get up to gutter level?? (I'm
talking bungalow level here, mind)

cheers,

cd

No pleasant way unfortunately. The easiest way is to don a stout pair of
gloves and clean all the bulky rubbish out by hand and into a bucket, and
then use a hose pipe to wash the remainder away (don't forget to clean out
the rainwater gulley[s] after).

As for the "silty earth", if you have concrete tiles then it's usually the
surface aggregate that's 'rubbed off of the tile' by the rainwater over
several years (my 40ish year old roof was a b***ard for it before I had it
renewed).

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cash" wrote in message
Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi guys,

Is there a pleasant way to clear all the crud out of gutters? I mean a
not-too-horrible way at least? And what is that stuff?? It looks like
silty earth, but how the heck can earth get up to gutter level?? (I'm
talking bungalow level here, mind)

cheers,

cd

No pleasant way unfortunately. The easiest way is to don a stout pair of
gloves and clean all the bulky rubbish out by hand and into a bucket, and
then use a hose pipe to wash the remainder away (don't forget to clean out
the rainwater gulley[s] after).

Is unfortunately the correct answer. I did mine two days ago :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2013 18:32, Cash wrote:

As for the "silty earth", if you have concrete tiles then it's usually the
surface aggregate that's 'rubbed off of the tile' by the rainwater over
several years

Plus moss that grows on the roof, plus the sand/dust that is sometimes
on your car after a rain shower, plus bird **** plus.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan wrote:
On 21/09/2013 18:32, Cash wrote:

As for the "silty earth", if you have concrete tiles then it's
usually the surface aggregate that's 'rubbed off of the tile' by the
rainwater over several years

Plus moss that grows on the roof, plus the sand/dust that is sometimes
on your car after a rain shower, plus bird **** plus.....

When I did it for a living, I never came across any problems with moss or
bird ****. Tennis balls, the remains of dead birds, leaves, newspaper
scraps, paper aeroplanes, lumps of compo, bits of broken tiles/slates, rags
stuffed up the downpipe, bits of television aerials yes - and I've even
found a claw hammer in the gutter of one house!

All great fun in my younger days.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom grunted in news:l1khni$p1k$1@dont-
email.me:

Is there a pleasant way to clear all the crud out of gutters?

Er - no.

But once they're clear, fit some of this stuff:
www.hedgehoggutterbrush.com
I put some in a couple of years ago, and my gutters (which previously
clogged with leaves repeatedly every autumn) have been maintenance-free
ever since.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 18:17:16 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Cursitor Doom grunted in news:l1khni$p1k$1@dont-
email.me:

Is there a pleasant way to clear all the crud out of gutters?

Er - no.

But once they're clear, fit some of this stuff:
www.hedgehoggutterbrush.com
I put some in a couple of years ago, and my gutters (which previously
clogged with leaves repeatedly every autumn) have been maintenance-free
ever since.

Seconded. If you have trees adjacent to your property it is very good
indeed. Does not stop the very fine particles but excellent against
leaves and lumps of moss. I first tried it on a section of guttering
that always needed clearing a couple of times a year and the next year
fitted it all round.
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
Hi guys,

Is there a pleasant way to clear all the crud out of gutters? I mean a
not-too-horrible way at least? And what is that stuff?? It looks like
silty earth, but how the heck can earth get up to gutter level?? (I'm
talking bungalow level here, mind)

cheers,

There won't be anything too fearful in there. Just get stuck in. Unless you
have some poisonous trees overhead (yew etc), put the detritus in your
compost bin. It's all good stuff.
It's good clean muck and WILL wash off.
Bungalow level.... consider yourself fortunate.
Hth Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi guys,

Is there a pleasant way to clear all the crud out of gutters? I mean a
not-too-horrible way at least? And what is that stuff??

It's reindeer ****.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 16:32:50 +0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom wrote:

Is there a pleasant way to clear all the crud out of gutters?

Take 'em off, clean and refit with the correct amount of fall?

I've never lived anywhere that has ever suffered blocked gutters. Not
lived in a place with with a large leafed tree overhanging the roof
though. We have birches close here but they have small leaves.

Or have people got a fettish about having spotless gutters?

And what is that stuff?? It looks like silty earth, but how the heck can
earth get up to gutter level??

Errosion from the roof tiles, dust blown up there or falling with the
rain, every rain drop has a particle of dust in it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many years ago I rigged up a temporary tool for this job. Piece of 1/4" ply cut to the profile of the bottom of the gutter mounted on the end of a long lath. This enable me to pull the crap towards me whence I can scoop it with a rubber gloved hand into a bucket.

Temporary ? Its still going strong. Very handy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2013 13:53, fred wrote:
Many years ago I rigged up a temporary tool for this job. Piece of 1/4" ply cut to the profile of the bottom of the gutter mounted on the end of a long lath. This enable me to pull the crap towards me whence I can scoop it with a rubber gloved hand into a bucket.

Temporary ? Its still going strong. Very handy

I use a drop scraper on a set of drain rods to the same effect...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message
Many years ago I rigged up a temporary tool for this job. Piece of 1/4" ply
cut to the profile of the bottom of the gutter mounted on the end of a long
lath. This enable me to pull the crap towards me whence I can scoop it with
a rubber gloved hand into a bucket.

Temporary ? Its still going strong. Very handy

+1 'cept mine is 1/2" ply, has dowel and is shaped to work L & R. 20yrs and
still in use.

Clearing Gutters [email protected] UK diy 16 August 6th 11 08:02 AM
Clearing a Drain? Don Green Home Repair 10 January 20th 11 01:29 AM
Clearing a blockage : Help ! Andrew Mawson UK diy 5 November 25th 10 06:33 PM
Cheque clearing in the UK Mick UK diy 34 August 8th 05 11:32 AM
Gutter clearing Andy Pandy UK diy 13 January 7th 05 09:02 AM