Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Browsers OT

On 19/09/2013 15:37, Scion wrote:
John Rumm put finger to keyboard:

On 18/09/2013 03:37, mcp wrote:
On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 19:44:06 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

If you get Win 7 pro then it includes "XP Mode" (basically MS Virtual
PC with a licence for XP wrapped up in a way to hide some of the
detail such that you can just launch your application like normal and
still have it come up inside a virtual machine)

(Note Win 8 Pro does not include this as they have ditched virtual PC
for their more industrial strength Hyper-V VM technology)

Support for XP Mode in Windows 7 expires next April, at the same time
as it does for XP itself.

As you would expect - it is after all a fully fledged copy of XP. It
will still work obviously, but you would be unwise to use it for
applications that connect to the internet.

Can it be snapshotted in the same way that Hyper-V VMs can? That's one
guard against malware.

Yup, you can just copy the .vmcx file and have a backup to revert to.

Although you still carry some risk that once penetrated, it can be a
stepping stone to other parts of your network that is inside your
perimeter defences - even if its only for the duration of a session.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 19 September 2013 05:35:26 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Linux mint, for example, will load you a working flash setup right away.

Imagine plain simple old Windows XP with all the bugs taken, out that
doesn't crash, and everything that you had to pay for supplied free,
and all the bits you wished XP had had built in, and all the bits you
wished XP hadn't had, removed.

Linux mint mate.

I was using Magei 3 that found my cable to Virgin straight away.
I put Ubuntu 10.10 on another machine because Red Hat wouldn't find the hub (Not its fault Ubuntu failed too.)

So now I am going to get a copy of Mint, if I have a reasonably modern disc (I can't think why I still buy the occasional Linux Format Magazine, the last one I bought was splashing Debian all over the cover and cover of the disc. It turned out not to be a self installer I had to create an ISO. All the other distros on there (the Mageia which I really liked until I got an ISP for instance.))

Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know how it all goes tits up. And then go and get Tiny XP. and maybe Tiny 98. Does Bowlers still have a decent turnout? Northern Compute Markets don't go anywhere else these days. They used to be good before the era of the popular home computer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/13 19:43, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Thursday, 19 September 2013 05:35:26 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Linux mint, for example, will load you a working flash setup right away.

Imagine plain simple old Windows XP with all the bugs taken, out that
doesn't crash, and everything that you had to pay for supplied free,
and all the bits you wished XP had had built in, and all the bits you
wished XP hadn't had, removed.

Linux mint mate.

I was using Magei 3 that found my cable to Virgin straight away.
I put Ubuntu 10.10 on another machine because Red Hat wouldn't find the hub (Not its fault Ubuntu failed too.)

? thats odd. Ive never had a machine that wouldn't find ethernet/dhcp setup

Wifi is another matter., never been able to get that working WITHOUT an
ethernet connection first :-)

And usually s3aping screens to find a combination that works on each end.

So now I am going to get a copy of Mint, if I have a reasonably modern disc (I can't think why I still buy the occasional Linux Format Magazine, the last one I bought was splashing Debian all over the cover and cover of the disc. It turned out not to be a self installer I had to create an ISO. All the other distros on there (the Mageia which I really liked until I got an ISP for instance.))

beware that I found mint 15 unstable on one machine. settled on rel 14.
That is solid on all I have here.

Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know how it all goes tits up. And then go and get Tiny XP. and maybe Tiny 98. Does Bowlers still have a decent turnout? Northern Compute Markets don't go anywhere else these days. They used to be good before the era of the popular home computer.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.