Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dehumidifier Q

Pointed my Father in direction of lead here on the LIDL offer and he
just bought one of those.

I would like to get a Dehumidifier to use when I lay my boat up for the
winter.
I remember reading here that there are compressor models & rotating
desiccant wheel type.

Are the latter any good ? ....which would be better for a reasonable
small area ... and lower temperatures, as boat shed is unheated.

Would prefer type that has option to drain to a hose, timer would be
nice but not essesntial.

Any reconsiderations / advice
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

Pointed my Father in direction of lead here on the LIDL offer and he
just bought one of those.

I would like to get a Dehumidifier to use when I lay my boat up for the
winter.
I remember reading here that there are compressor models & rotating
desiccant wheel type.

Are the latter any good ?

Superior, IMHO

....which would be better for a reasonable
small area ... and lower temperatures, as boat shed is unheated.

My desiccant-wheel dehumidifier works down to ~2 degC, my cheapo
compressor type is really struggling by 15 degC.

Would prefer type that has option to drain to a hose, timer would be
nice but not essesntial.

Most seem to have the drain hose option, it is no more difficult than
pushing the hose on to the fitting.

Any reconsiderations / advice

This is similar to mine, although this one has a dial for setting the
humidity level whereas mine has button-set fixed options. You might
like to read the reviews, noting the possible energy costs. Having a
dial-type means you can choose an optimum setting for humidity/cost
balance depending on your particular circumstances - you might find
that say 60% is sufficient for your purposes, which should result in
less energy use:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00474K8SY

--
Terry Fields

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2013 16:31, Terry Fields wrote:
Rick Hughes wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00474K8SY

Thanks Googling around I found this one :
http://www.airconcentre.co.uk/meaco+...nty/2959630988

Seems neat in that that the sensor shuts it down once at set level, and
restarts every 30 min and checks .. then runs or shuts down again ....
admit never heard of MEACO make
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00474K8SY

Thanks Googling around I found this one :
http://www.airconcentre.co.uk/meaco+...nty/2959630988

Seems neat in that that the sensor shuts it down once at set level, and
restarts every 30 min and checks .. then runs or shuts down again ....
admit never heard of MEACO make

Be careful in that this one also has button-set levels. I find these a
pain, as I'd like to set the humidity level to 60 - 65% percent but
have to go for 50 - 55%. On a cold, wet, windy, day it struggles
with this and therefore uses quite a bit more energy (which is
something you might like to take into account). I did read somewhere
that mould growth starts at 68% RH.

The one you refer to is also dearer than than the Amazon one.

I'm not sure the timer approach will help as on a damp day the
humidity shoots up again when the unit turns off, and then you have to
spend energy getting it back down again when the unit powers up. ITMT
your boat interior hasn't had time to 'dry out', especially as it is
likely to be well-ventilated; it's rather like an uphill struggle,
except on those lovely cold and dry winter days.

--
Terry Fields

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2013 17:06, Terry Fields wrote:
Rick Hughes wrote:

I'm not sure the timer approach will help as on a damp day the
humidity shoots up again when the unit turns off, and then you have to
spend energy getting it back down again when the unit powers up. ITMT
your boat interior hasn't had time to 'dry out', especially as it is
likely to be well-ventilated; it's rather like an uphill struggle,
except on those lovely cold and dry winter days.

OK ... found what may be better ...
http://www.dehumidifiersuk.com/p/116...-warranty.html

Same price ... but includes Tilt sensor, and has rotary humidistat,
fully shuts to standby once humidity level reached, a benefit can be put
on external timer ... has full auto restart if power switched off.

Although the recommendation seems to be set it to a level and leave it
permanently on.

Won the aware for best unit for boat owners and top performer in Caravan
tests ... so might be my machine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

[...]

£125.98 with free delivery on Amazon, 1 year warranty.

--
Terry Fields

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, September 12, 2013 8:04:57 PM UTC+1, Rick Hughes wrote:

Same price ... but includes Tilt sensor, and has rotary humidistat,
fully shuts to standby once humidity level reached, a benefit can be put

My main one has a rotary humidistat knob. Its setpoint has wandered a lot, up and down, over time. I wouldnt want to rely on that unattended. An electronic sensor should be far more reliable than the plastic strip type.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 15:31:35 +0100, Rick Hughes
wrote:

Pointed my Father in direction of lead here on the LIDL offer and he
just bought one of those.

I would like to get a Dehumidifier to use when I lay my boat up for the
winter.
I remember reading here that there are compressor models & rotating
desiccant wheel type.

Are the latter any good ? ....which would be better for a reasonable
small area ... and lower temperatures, as boat shed is unheated.

Would prefer type that has option to drain to a hose, timer would be
nice but not essesntial.

Any reconsiderations / advice

Move any 'soft furnishings' into a spare room in the house , wipe over all
internal surfaces with a disinfectant spray, exclude vermin, allow controlled
natural ventilation and forget about the dehumidifier.

Best Dehumidifier? BCDrums Home Repair 6 August 8th 09 08:44 AM
dehumidifier Jay Stootzmann Home Repair 0 July 11th 07 03:31 AM
when do I need to use a dehumidifier? [email protected] Home Repair 1 August 22nd 06 12:34 AM
dehumidifier lls8000 Home Ownership 0 July 25th 05 04:46 PM
DIY Dehumidifier songofruth Home Repair 28 May 20th 05 10:41 AM