Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dulux Weathershield gloss

I have been decorating the kitchen and ran out of gloss white but I had an unopened tin of weathershield so I used that, white gloss is white gloss but when I finished and was cleaning up I noticed on the tin " for outside use only", why should it be outside only and what difference is there between that and interior gloss.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 08/09/2013 16:19, Trevor Smith wrote:
I have been decorating the kitchen and ran out of gloss white but I had an unopened tin of weathershield so I used that, white gloss is white gloss but when I finished and was cleaning up I noticed on the tin " for outside use only", why should it be outside only and what difference is there between that and interior gloss.

Exterior gloss has fungicide included in the formulation which isn't
suitable for indoor use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, September 8, 2013 4:33:34 PM UTC+1, Lee wrote:
On 08/09/2013 16:19, Trevor Smith wrote:

I have been decorating the kitchen and ran out of gloss white but I had an unopened tin of weathershield so I used that, white gloss is white gloss but when I finished and was cleaning up I noticed on the tin " for outside use only", why should it be outside only and what difference is there between that and interior gloss.

Exterior gloss has fungicide included in the formulation which isn't
suitable for indoor use.

"isn't suitable" in what way?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2013 16:35, Jim K wrote:
On Sunday, September 8, 2013 4:33:34 PM UTC+1, Lee wrote:
On 08/09/2013 16:19, Trevor Smith wrote:

I have been decorating the kitchen and ran out of gloss white but I had an unopened tin of weathershield so I used that, white gloss is white gloss but when I finished and was cleaning up I noticed on the tin " for outside use only", why should it be outside only and what difference is there between that and interior gloss.

Exterior gloss has fungicide included in the formulation which isn't
suitable for indoor use.

"isn't suitable" in what way?

Jim K

In the way that interior paint is supposed to be safe if you place food
on it, or a child or pet licks or gnaws it.

The website seems to confirm some anti-fungal agent:

"The weatherproof paint film is mould resistant to minimise staining and
flexible to resist cracking."

I would get in touch with Dulux - after all, they do have a help and
advice arrangement. At least they could be more specific.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2013 19:12, Brian Gaff wrote:
Who chews paint though?

Brian

Babies/toddlers and pets.

But not in this house!

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Who chews paint though?

Toddlers. Or more accurately they may chew furniture or wooden toys that
are painted.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

As it's only the window frames, back door and skirting boards that have been painted it shouldn't be an issue with foodstuffs.
Following your info I won't use it indoors again but I will leave it as it is in the kitchen as I don't fancy stripping it off and re-doing it again

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2013 19:26, Trevor Smith wrote:
As it's only the window frames, back door and skirting boards that have been painted it shouldn't be an issue with foodstuffs.
Following your info I won't use it indoors again but I will leave it as it is in the kitchen as I don't fancy stripping it off and re-doing it again

I too wouldn't be in a panic about it given where you have used it. But
best to know the possible issues.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Sep 2013 08:19:09 -0700 (PDT), Trevor Smith wrote:

why should it be outside only and what difference is there between that
and interior gloss.

Fungicides I should imagine and possibly less care about the solvents
used or other substances that may leach out over time.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2013 16:36, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 8 Sep 2013 08:19:09 -0700 (PDT), Trevor Smith wrote:

why should it be outside only and what difference is there between that
and interior gloss.

Fungicides I should imagine and possibly less care about the solvents
used or other substances that may leach out over time.

I'd go with fungicides. I'd guess that since a kitchen (or bathroom)
should get more ventilation than "living" rooms the levels of any
volatile fungicide in the air should be reasonably low. Same reason you
are not supposed to use creosote or tanilised timber indoors.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Trevor Smith writes
I have been decorating the kitchen and ran out of gloss white but I had
an unopened tin of weathershield so I used that, white gloss is white
gloss but when I finished and was cleaning up I noticed on the tin "
for outside use only", why should it be outside only and what
difference is there between that and interior gloss.

Might it be that it goes yellow in the absence of outdoor light?
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2013 16:19, Trevor Smith wrote:
I have been decorating the kitchen and ran out of gloss white but I had an unopened tin of weathershield so I used that, white gloss is white gloss but when I finished and was cleaning up I noticed on the tin " for outside use only", why should it be outside only and what difference is there between that and interior gloss.

There is a lot more UV available outside so the paint is adjusted to
compensate for it. You may find that it will yellow prematurely when
used indoors in areas that have limited or no natural sunlight in much
the same way that it does under a plantpot on a windowsill.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown