Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boundary Dispute

I'm sure that this has been covered many times before. After I have been living in the property for over 14 years now, my neighbour has just knocked on the door and announced that he will be "straightening the fence". I replied that I didn't think it was leaning badly everywhere, but he then clarified the statement by saying he was going to make it a straight line and get his garden back.

Next door is a property let as multiple occupancy. The owners live elsewhere. The boundary has not changed since we moved in, although I have maintained and replaced most of the fence panels and posts.

About 4 years ago, they started on that we had taken part of their garden. We refuted that statement and gave them proof in that we have pictures to prove that the fence is unchanged from when we moved in, but they now claim that the previous owner moved the fence without their permission. Why they never took it up with them, or it took them 10 years to raise it with us, it a mystery!!
They also brought the previous owner back and whilst they didn't involve us in the visit, the indication was that they (the previous owners) stated it hadn't moved from when they moved out. We're trying to trace them again and get them to make a written statement that we can use (if they will!)

The last thing I want to do is get involved in in expensive litigation, but the owners do not believe in listening/being reasonable, so I'm not convinced they will listen to reason. I don't see why I should allow the fence to be moved and lose space in my garden, it was the way I bought the house 14 years ago. (OK, so they may see that as unreasonable).

I don't see a way forward, but with the reputation our neighbours have I'm afraid is one that indicates they will just do it! We also have a number of dogs that enjoy the garden and I'm also concerned if they just take down the fence, they may get out.

I assume the Police will just see this as a civil dispute.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers

Peter

Fence dispute A Plumber UK diy 10 August 10th 10 09:16 PM
Boundary dispute advice please George \(dicegeorge\) UK diy 13 March 26th 08 11:56 PM
Refrigerator dispute Mike S. Home Repair 12 June 11th 06 07:43 PM
Boundary Dispute Kristiansand99 Home Ownership 11 January 20th 05 06:57 PM
Shower drainage - possible boundary dispute (O/T?) [email protected] UK diy 2 August 17th 04 09:04 PM