Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Living without electricity

On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 16:25:19 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 04/09/13 13:09, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 10:42:19 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Haveing heard the fuss that English Nature made when the water board
moled a 6" main over the same fell top a few years back I'm not
surprised the DNO took the easy "maintenance" route rather than go
through planning, approvals, enviromental impact, wildlife assements,
etc to underground it. Fing stupid, 6 months after the water main had
been moled in you had to know where it was to notice it. Now you
can't tell. Similar fuss was made about 2 x 8" pipes feeding a small
(700 kW ish) hydro station from an old (1850's) fellside reservoir,
they where open trenched in but again you can't tell where they are
now.

They should have buried it, both for reduced maintenance and reduced
eyesore.

I think environmental assem,ents area great idea BUT ...
waive the environmental ********.

Environmental assessments are a good idea, but
a) If you agree to one, you can't then just 'waive the eco', etc.
b) An assessment needs to take account of the environmental cost of
not doing anything as well, which in this case would have been the
worst option.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2013 16:25, tony sayer wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
On 04/09/13 10:20, Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 04 September 2013 08:29 Roger Chapman wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 04/09/2013 00:21, djc wrote:
The particulars say the property has 80 acres of land which could easily
be the steep land between the cottage and Tobermory. Contrary to what
has been suggested previously most of this land is wooded so wood for
fuel would not seem to be a problem nor would widening the track should
it be on the property.
Looking at the map on the downloadable brochure there is an area edged
in blue that extends alonng the shore to Tobermory. If that is the 80
acres then the path/road is all on the land.
I missed the downloadable brochure and couldn't be bothered to register
for more detail. :-(

That blue border does seem to contain about 80 acres but it stops short
of the town and the last quarter mile or so of the track is outside of
the area. It is not clear from the 1:25000 exactly where the track
leaves the built up area. On the face of it the path heading diagonally
up the hill by the road end at the pier as seen in streetview shouldn't
be it but it could be.

It goes as far as he

http://goo.gl/maps/k5kXS

There's a road with power lines 20m away. I wonder how the electricity
company would view putting a supply in to a small brick outhouse in those
woods (convenient for them to read the meter).

typically long distance will be 11KV single or 3 phase. piece of **** to
couple that to a ground based transformer. Then its up to the
householder to dig a trench to the house..

From there you add your own transformer[1] and private distribution lines
entirely across your land.

[1] And not necessarily HV - perhaps just an autotransformer to boost it
enough to balance the losses and drop a LV line in. Might be reasonable all
things said and done to trench a bit of SWA in - at least you will have no
lines to blow over.

indeed.

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...ower%20cut.png

dropped through the door yesterday.

Why? CUTTING TREES.

Cheer up you miserable odle sod! at least their doing some maintenance
thats more then what they do on a bit of 11 kV line that causes us
grief;!..

And they told you too, eh!, thats Luxury that is!..

As I said t they are not putting in any more 11KV overheads here.

Remember last time they did that here - 2-3 years ago. They were only
cutting the trees on my land, from the 11kv transformer on a pole on my
land to my house, under the 240v lines.

2 electric board guys showed up first thing to disconnect at the pole up
from my transformer. They then sat in their van all day while the 2
tree surgeons did their stuff. OK, they also checked out my genny to
check it wasn't going to backfeed and electrocute them.

I wasn't complaining as it only cost me the diesel for the generator,
but it did seem rather inefficient.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message

g, Steve Firth writes

But believe me toting fuel around, filling tanks, fetching gas cylinders
gets to be a PITA. It doesn't seem to matter how you plan there are always
days when you run out and usually at times when all the suppliers are
closed.

That, I think, is the crux of it. However, it has been an entertaining
and educational discussion. Thanks, all :-)
--
Graeme