Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Yuk - maggots in the bin

Thanks to the modern idea that our half sized bin only needs emptying every
fortnight I now have a full on maggot farm...

Gross little *******s. Just gave the bin top and lid a spray with strong
bleach - not the best but all I could find at 22:40.

Didn't help that someone left a bag poking out so the lid did not close and
the ******* flies got in. But can't control everyone's actions all the time

I feel sorry for the binmen... Yes we recycle and we compost peelings. Must
be some plate scrapings attracting the buggers. But we also have guests so
of course the bin's full.

Ah the joys of driving in reverse from the once civilised country we used to
be...

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Tim Watts wrote:
Thanks to the modern idea that our half sized bin only needs emptying
every fortnight I now have a full on maggot farm...

Gross little *******s. Just gave the bin top and lid a spray with
strong bleach - not the best but all I could find at 22:40.

Didn't help that someone left a bag poking out so the lid did not
close and the ******* flies got in. But can't control everyone's
actions all the time

I feel sorry for the binmen... Yes we recycle and we compost
peelings. Must be some plate scrapings attracting the buggers. But we
also have guests so of course the bin's full.

Ah the joys of driving in reverse from the once civilised country we
used to be...

Maggots have a bad name.

Did your bin have a bad smell? If so don't blame the maggots. Maggots fed
on bran do not have a bad smell.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Ah the joys of driving in reverse from the once civilised country we used
be...

Absolutely true. Maggots every week, even with bleach, boiling water and
double bagging. The fact that the last two climate change (i.e. green lobby)
advisors have had to stand down due to conflict of interest is neither here
nor there. No r the fact that SamCam's dad makes a grand a day from 'green'
subsidies be of any concern and that we should consider that it is a total
money making scam.

Still, we'll be in Syria soon, doing the money lender's work, changing their
State owned central bank into a private central bank, so that they can
fiscally tax the citizens of that country. Just like we did with Libya.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 22:50:20 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

Thanks to the modern idea that our half sized bin only needs emptying every
fortnight I now have a full on maggot farm...

Gross little *******s. Just gave the bin top and lid a spray with strong
bleach - not the best but all I could find at 22:40.

Didn't help that someone left a bag poking out so the lid did not close and
the ******* flies got in. But can't control everyone's actions all the time

I feel sorry for the binmen... Yes we recycle and we compost peelings. Must
be some plate scrapings attracting the buggers. But we also have guests so
of course the bin's full.

Ah the joys of driving in reverse from the once civilised country we used to
be...

Try a large barbecue. Flies don't seem too atracted to things that are
black & crunchy, an added bonus is that you would have room for more
guests if you pack em down a bit.

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Thanks to the modern idea that our half sized bin only needs emptying every
fortnight I now have a full on maggot farm...

Does your council not do a weekly food waste collection?
If not, why not ask them.

The letters page of the local free paper is always a good place to
start moaning about bin services.

Gross little *******s. Just gave the bin top and lid a spray with strong
bleach - not the best but all I could find at 22:40.

Didn't help that someone left a bag poking out so the lid did not close and
the ******* flies got in. But can't control everyone's actions all the time

I feel sorry for the binmen... Yes we recycle and we compost peelings. Must
be some plate scrapings attracting the buggers. But we also have guests so
of course the bin's full.

Ah the joys of driving in reverse from the once civilised country we used to
be...

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 30 August 2013 07:37:40 UTC+1, Archibald wrote:
On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 22:50:20 +0100, Tim Watts wrote: Thanks to the modern idea that our half sized bin only needs emptying every fortnight I now have a full on maggot farm... Gross little *******s. Just gave the bin top and lid a spray with strong bleach - not the best but all I could find at 22:40. Didn't help that someone left a bag poking out so the lid did not close and the ******* flies got in. But can't control everyone's actions all the time I feel sorry for the binmen... Yes we recycle and we compost peelings. Must be some plate scrapings attracting the buggers. But we also have guests so of course the bin's full. Ah the joys of driving in reverse from the once civilised country we used to be... Try a large barbecue. Flies don't seem too atracted to things that are black & crunchy, an added bonus is that you would have room for more guests if you pack em down a bit. AB

I tried packing our guests down a bit to get more in, but they complained. !:*^))
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I notice public bins are normally emptied daily. In this weather that's
where the odd disposable nappy we get lumbered with goes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 10:19:32 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

Gross little *******s. Just gave the bin top and lid a spray with strong
bleach - not the best but all I could find at 22:40.

Didn't help that someone left a bag poking out so the lid did not close and
the ******* flies got in. But can't control everyone's actions all the time

I feel sorry for the binmen... Yes we recycle and we compost peelings. Must
be some plate scrapings attracting the buggers. But we also have guests so
of course the bin's full.

Ah the joys of driving in reverse from the once civilised country we used to
be...

I notice public bins are normally emptied daily. In this weather that's
where the odd disposable nappy we get lumbered with goes

Round here they wrote to everyone saying too many people had two grey
(general waste) bins. You could keep both if you met the requirements.
I don't think anyone has.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Thanks to the modern idea that our half sized bin only needs emptying
every
fortnight I now have a full on maggot farm...

Gross little *******s. Just gave the bin top and lid a spray with strong
bleach - not the best but all I could find at 22:40.

Plus Eric Pickles has offered to give councils the extra funding to have
weekly collections and virtually every council says no, we're not
interested.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Our council has a rather disgusting (to my mind) system where food waste (cooked only, uncooked such as peelings, cores, egg shells etc go in the compost bin) goes in a small container inside, transferred to a slightly larger (think mop bucket sized) bin when the inside one is full, and this is collected weekly. Other general rubbish is fortnightly, with paper / card / tetra packs / tins / cans / etc also collected weekly.

To be honest, the food waste our family of 6 generates is usually sufficient to about 1/8 to 1/4 fill the outside "mop bucket" sized food recycling bin, and it only gets transferred to outside on the day of collection, so no maggots for us.

I don't like the idea of a food waste only container in the house, but it does seem to work OK.

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article k,
Road_Hog wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Thanks to the modern idea that our half sized bin only needs emptying
every
fortnight I now have a full on maggot farm...

Gross little *******s. Just gave the bin top and lid a spray with strong
bleach - not the best but all I could find at 22:40.

Plus Eric Pickles has offered to give councils the extra funding to have
weekly collections and virtually every council says no, we're not
interested.

probably because the "extra funding" would not cover the costs involved.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 11:36:21 +0100, Road_Hog wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Thanks to the modern idea that our half sized bin only needs emptying
every fortnight I now have a full on maggot farm...

Gross little *******s. Just gave the bin top and lid a spray with
strong bleach - not the best but all I could find at 22:40.

Plus Eric Pickles has offered to give councils the extra funding to have
weekly collections and virtually every council says no, we're not
interested.

Birmingham did. Although they (rather cunningly) have linked taking the
cash with introducing wheelie bins. Finally. There's something 3rd world
about seeing ripped open bin bags everywhere.

I was amused to see on their FAQ about wheelie bins a "question" saying
"The system we have already is working, so why change ?". As if anyone in
their right mind would think rubbish strewn over the roads is working.

its is working - if you asked an urban fox.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2013 16:41, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 15:50:43 +0100, charles wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

Birds get to the bags first ...

Yep, those crows are very efficient emptiers of bins. Then the local
yobs get the blame. Shame
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 03:41:59 -0700 (PDT), larkim
wrote:

Our council has a rather disgusting (to my mind) system where food waste (cooked only, uncooked such as peelings, cores, egg shells etc go in the compost bin) goes in a small container inside, transferred to a slightly larger (think mop bucket sized) bin when the inside one is full, and this is collected weekly. Other general rubbish is fortnightly, with paper / card / tetra packs / tins / cans / etc also collected weekly.

To be honest, the food waste our family of 6 generates is usually sufficient to about 1/8 to 1/4 fill the outside "mop bucket" sized food recycling bin, and it only gets transferred to outside on the day of collection, so no maggots for us.

I don't like the idea of a food waste only container in the house, but it does seem to work OK.

Matt

We compost the stuff that can be, so fairly small amounts of food need
to be thrown out - the birds will eat various bits.
The food waste gets wrapped in paper and put straight out in the
bigger food bin - the small one is only used if it's too rainy tba
going outside.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
Thanks to the modern idea that our half sized bin only needs emptying every
fortnight I now have a full on maggot farm...

They're in the bin.
You're not planning on retrieving anything from the bin to eat (I hope),
so why does it matter?

They actually eat the stuff that generates the smell, thereby reducing
the smell from the bin.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday 30 August 2013 21:40 Andrew Gabriel wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
Thanks to the modern idea that our half sized bin only needs emptying
every fortnight I now have a full on maggot farm...

They're in the bin.
You're not planning on retrieving anything from the bin to eat (I hope),
so why does it matter?

err - because it's gross and they are all over the lid and rim when I open
it...

They actually eat the stuff that generates the smell, thereby reducing
the smell from the bin.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jethro_uk
writes

Round our way it's Magpies. Who are viscous buggers. I have an abiding
memory of looking out the kitchen window and seeing 5 Magpies* strutting
5-abreast across the lawn, looking for all the world like there were re-
shooting an avian version of "Reservoir Dogs".

*1 for sorrow ...5 for a secret never to be told ?

1 for sorrow,
2 for joy,
3 for a girl,
4 for a boy,
5 for silver,
6 for gold,
7 for a secret never to be told.
8 is a wish
9 a kiss
10 is a bird you should not miss.

MAGPIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts writes:
Thanks to the modern idea that our half sized bin only needs emptying
every fortnight I now have a full on maggot farm...

They're in the bin.
You're not planning on retrieving anything from the bin to eat (I hope),
so why does it matter?

err - because it's gross and they are all over the lid and rim when I open
it...

They can only climb up a plastic container if it's wet.
If the rubbish isn't up to the rim, leave the lid open for a while so
it can dry in the sun, and then they'll be stuck down with the rubbish.
(It might get cold enough at night to form condensation on the
inside again though.)

They actually eat the stuff that generates the smell, thereby reducing
the smell from the bin.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-08-31, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 18:58:22 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

Yep, those crows are very efficient emptiers of bins. Then the local
yobs get the blame. Shame

Round our way it's Magpies. Who are viscous buggers.

I never thought magpies were slimy? Perhaps you meant vicious?

)

I was going to point out that they only went viscous after they'd been
dead a while.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-08-31, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 18:58:22 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

Yep, those crows are very efficient emptiers of bins. Then the local
yobs get the blame. Shame

Round our way it's Magpies. Who are viscous buggers.

I never thought magpies were slimy? Perhaps you meant vicious?

)

I was going to point out that they only went viscous after they'd been
dead a while.

Back to maggots...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , polygonum
scribeth thus

On 2013-08-31, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 18:58:22 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

Yep, those crows are very efficient emptiers of bins. Then the local
yobs get the blame. Shame

Round our way it's Magpies. Who are viscous buggers.

I never thought magpies were slimy? Perhaps you meant vicious?

)

I was going to point out that they only went viscous after they'd been
dead a while.

Back to maggots...

Flog 'em off to the local Anglers...
--
Tony Sayer

Maggots Frank[_5_] Home Repair 6 July 15th 08 01:41 PM
Maggots in dustbin (elimination thereof) Vortex UK diy 95 August 12th 06 11:07 PM
Yahoo 9 tax sucking maggots whacked Try some Exlax Home Repair 1 April 1st 04 06:55 PM