Posted to uk.d-i-y
larkim larkim is offline

Default Yuk - maggots in the bin

On Friday, 30 August 2013 10:29:14 UTC+1, mogga wrote:
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 10:19:32 +0100, stuart noble

wrote:

Gross little *******s. Just gave the bin top and lid a spray with strong

bleach - not the best but all I could find at 22:40.

Didn't help that someone left a bag poking out so the lid did not close and

the ******* flies got in. But can't control everyone's actions all the time

I feel sorry for the binmen... Yes we recycle and we compost peelings.. Must

be some plate scrapings attracting the buggers. But we also have guests so

of course the bin's full.

Ah the joys of driving in reverse from the once civilised country we used to

be...

I notice public bins are normally emptied daily. In this weather that's

where the odd disposable nappy we get lumbered with goes

Round here they wrote to everyone saying too many people had two grey

(general waste) bins. You could keep both if you met the requirements.

I don't think anyone has.

--

http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Our council has a rather disgusting (to my mind) system where food waste (cooked only, uncooked such as peelings, cores, egg shells etc go in the compost bin) goes in a small container inside, transferred to a slightly larger (think mop bucket sized) bin when the inside one is full, and this is collected weekly. Other general rubbish is fortnightly, with paper / card / tetra packs / tins / cans / etc also collected weekly.

To be honest, the food waste our family of 6 generates is usually sufficient to about 1/8 to 1/4 fill the outside "mop bucket" sized food recycling bin, and it only gets transferred to outside on the day of collection, so no maggots for us.

I don't like the idea of a food waste only container in the house, but it does seem to work OK.

Matt