Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dehumidifier recommendations?

I'm after a small dehumidifier.

From what little I know about them I think compressor types are better,
is this correct?
It will be running much of the time so want something economical.
Noise isn't an issue.

If anyone has any recommendations i'd be grateful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S writes:
I'm after a small dehumidifier.

From what little I know about them I think compressor types are better,
is this correct?
It will be running much of the time so want something economical.
Noise isn't an issue.

If anyone has any recommendations i'd be grateful.

It would help to say what you want it for.

I have a no-name one (actually, 3 of them) which Homebase sold 10+ years
ago, which look exactly like an Ebac model of that time. They've worked
very well. One had an early failure of the control board (zener diode
shorted out) which I could have got fixed under warranty, but decided
to fix myself instead, but they've all been fine since.

These ones have a humidistat, so they cycle on and off as the humidity
changes. If you are running continuously and want economy, then you
should pick one with a humidistat built in. These have a tank, but
can also be plumbed to a drain so you don't need to empty the tank.

Check the temperature range over which they'll work. There's usually
an upper limit of 30C or 35C. If they have built-in defrost, lower
limit might be 10C or less, but without built-in defrost, lower limit
might be 16C or more. Built-in defrost often doesn't work well enough
anyway. The heated disk type probably work better at lower
temperatures, but they aren't as fast or efficient.

There are additional complications if you are planning to run a
dehumidifier in a house, depending on construction. They can easily
generate humidity differences which will warp timber if you're not
careful, and you could end up with dished floorboards, broken door
panels, etc. That's why it would help to say what you want it for.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2013 10:09, R D S wrote:
I'm after a small dehumidifier.

From what little I know about them I think compressor types are better,
is this correct?
It will be running much of the time so want something economical.
Noise isn't an issue.

If anyone has any recommendations i'd be grateful.

Have no idea whatsoever about quality or value, but Lidl have a
dehumidifier on sale on Monday:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-9C...l&id=5305&ar=2

(Hope that works. If not - check out Laundry Must Haves on Monday coming.)

Anyone noticed that Lidl are now opening at 07:45 on Mondays and
Thursdays? Don't know if this is everywhere or selected branches.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2013 11:48, polygonum wrote:
On 24/08/2013 10:09, R D S wrote:
I'm after a small dehumidifier.

From what little I know about them I think compressor types are better,
is this correct?
It will be running much of the time so want something economical.
Noise isn't an issue.

If anyone has any recommendations i'd be grateful.

Have no idea whatsoever about quality or value, but Lidl have a
dehumidifier on sale on Monday:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-9C...l&id=5305&ar=2

That's quite large, 20 kg a day water extraction.

It will heat the room as much as a ~1.5kw fan heater if it runs
continuously extracting water.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 12:58:34 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

It will heat the room as much as a ~1.5kw fan heater if it runs
continuously extracting water.

At 420W then it might be worth buying a few, for cheap heating in winter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 11:48:00 +0100, polygonum wrote:

On 24/08/2013 10:09, R D S wrote:
I'm after a small dehumidifier.

From what little I know about them I think compressor types are
better,
is this correct?
It will be running much of the time so want something economical.
Noise isn't an issue.

If anyone has any recommendations i'd be grateful.

Have no idea whatsoever about quality or value, but Lidl have a
dehumidifier on sale on Monday:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-9C...idl_uk/hs.xsl/

our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=5305&ar=2

Great, i'll have a look at that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

R D S wrote:
I'm after a small dehumidifier.

From what little I know about them I think compressor types are
better, is this correct?
It will be running much of the time so want something economical.
Noise isn't an issue.

If anyone has any recommendations i'd be grateful.

If this is for your work cellar?

If so I was wondering if you might be better off by adding some forced (or
maybe natural) ventilation into it at the opposite end to the extractor fan.
And maybe a bigger extractor fan with better ducting.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2013 15:01, R D S wrote:
On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 12:58:34 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

It will heat the room as much as a ~1.5kw fan heater if it runs
continuously extracting water.

At 420W then it might be worth buying a few, for cheap heating in winter.

It only works that well if you have wet air.
It would be very good if you use an old style paraffin heater.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2013 17:27, dennis@home wrote:
On 24/08/2013 15:01, R D S wrote:
On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 12:58:34 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

It will heat the room as much as a ~1.5kw fan heater if it runs
continuously extracting water.

At 420W then it might be worth buying a few, for cheap heating in winter.

It only works that well if you have wet air.
It would be very good if you use an old style paraffin heater.

Where do you get the 1.5kw output from?!

--
Cheers, Rob

Pessimism of the spirit; optimism of the will Antonio Gramsci

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2013 15:01, R D S wrote:
On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 12:58:34 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

It will heat the room as much as a ~1.5kw fan heater if it runs
continuously extracting water.

At 420W then it might be worth buying a few, for cheap heating in
winter.

It only works that well if you have wet air.
It would be very good if you use an old style paraffin heater.

Where do you get the 1.5kw output from?!

Latent heat from condensing 20kg of steam + 420W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

R D S wrote:
On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 12:58:34 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

It will heat the room as much as a ~1.5kw fan heater if it runs
continuously extracting water.

At 420W then it might be worth buying a few, for cheap heating in
winter.

**** that. Fit PV cells in the cellar. You know it makes sense.

Of course dennis is only telling half the truth....

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 16:55:50 +0100, ARW wrote:

R D S wrote:
I'm after a small dehumidifier.

From what little I know about them I think compressor types are better,
is this correct?
It will be running much of the time so want something economical.
Noise isn't an issue.

If anyone has any recommendations i'd be grateful.

If this is for your work cellar?

It is, just bought a lens washer, it's like a mini car wash but for
lenses! It kicks out a load of steam (vapour?) so i'm concerned that it
will get damp(er).

If so I was wondering if you might be better off by adding some forced
(or maybe natural) ventilation into it at the opposite end to the
extractor fan.
And maybe a bigger extractor fan with better ducting.

I'm pretty sure i'll be out of the cellar before the year is out. Besides
the landlord id getting a bit tetchy with regard to all the holes I am
making in the place!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 18:12:11 +0100, ARW wrote:

R D S wrote:
On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 12:58:34 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

It will heat the room as much as a ~1.5kw fan heater if it runs
continuously extracting water.

At 420W then it might be worth buying a few, for cheap heating in
winter.

**** that. Fit PV cells in the cellar. You know it makes sense.

Aye, i'll make a fortune from the feed in tariff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2013 10:09, R D S wrote:
I'm after a small dehumidifier.

From what little I know about them I think compressor types are better,
is this correct?
It will be running much of the time so want something economical.
Noise isn't an issue.

If anyone has any recommendations i'd be grateful.

I bought three (all different) off e-Bay at around £30-£40 each. People
buy them after they have a washing machine flood or similar and then get
rid of them. They're barely used, one was still in the original packaging!

All three have humidistats so they run only when the humidity is over an
adjustable value so they're economical.

All three have been switched on for the last six months and work fine.
My favourite is a white no-name B&Q one that looks like a coffee machine
so it resides in the kitchen.

Another Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 09:32:14 +0000 (UTC), (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
R D S writes:
I'm after a small dehumidifier.

From what little I know about them I think compressor types are better,
[...]

would you happen to know what would be good for dehumidifying a car during the cold winter months?

--

mhm x v i x i i i

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2013 20:55, happy zombie jebus on the cross wrote:

would you happen to know what would be good for dehumidifying a car during the cold winter months?

Changing the cabin/pollen filter.

Another Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 21:07:36 +0100, Another Dave wrote:

On 25/08/2013 20:55, happy zombie jebus on the cross wrote:

would you happen to know what would be good for dehumidifying a car during the cold winter months?

Changing the cabin/pollen filter.

the pollen filter was changed at the last service, last month, so with any luck i will be good to
go.

Another Dave

--

mhm x v i x i i i
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
happy zombie jebus on the cross writes:
would you happen to know what would be good for dehumidifying a car during the cold winter months?

Why does a car need dehumidifying?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
happy zombie jebus on the cross writes:
would you happen to know what would be good for dehumidifying a car
during the cold winter months?

Why does a car need dehumidifying?

to stop the windows/windscreen misting up.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2013 10:09, R D S wrote:
I'm after a small dehumidifier.

From what little I know about them I think compressor types are better,
is this correct?
It will be running much of the time so want something economical.
Noise isn't an issue.

If anyone has any recommendations i'd be grateful.

Have no idea whatsoever about quality or value, but Lidl have a
dehumidifier on sale on Monday:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-9C...l&id=5305&ar=2

(Hope that works. If not - check out Laundry Must Haves on Monday coming.)

Anyone noticed that Lidl are now opening at 07:45 on Mondays and
Thursdays? Don't know if this is everywhere or selected branches.

Ooops - it is Thursday, not Monday. Apologies to those of you who miss
this and spend three days and nights camping outside your local Lidl.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 21:46:24 +0100, happy zombie jebus on the cross
wrote:

the pollen filter was changed at the last service, last month, ...

You mean it was listed on the invoice and you paid for it.

... so with any luck ...

The garage did actually replace it with a new one.

A car that is that damp inside I'd suspect as having a leak somewhere
and sodden sound deading felt...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2013 20:41, Another Dave wrote:
On 24/08/2013 10:09, R D S wrote:
I'm after a small dehumidifier.

From what little I know about them I think compressor types are better,
is this correct?
It will be running much of the time so want something economical.
Noise isn't an issue.

If anyone has any recommendations i'd be grateful.

I bought three (all different) off e-Bay at around £30-£40 each. People
buy them after they have a washing machine flood or similar and then get
rid of them. They're barely used, one was still in the original packaging!

All three have humidistats so they run only when the humidity is over an
adjustable value so they're economical.

All three have been switched on for the last six months and work fine.
My favourite is a white no-name B&Q one that looks like a coffee machine
so it resides in the kitchen.

Another Dave

Mine is a bit noisy for "living with" but it only comes out after
floods, steam stripping, etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another Dave wrote:
On 24/08/2013 10:09, R D S wrote:
I'm after a small dehumidifier.

From what little I know about them I think compressor types are better,
is this correct?
It will be running much of the time so want something economical.
Noise isn't an issue.

If anyone has any recommendations i'd be grateful.

I bought three (all different) off e-Bay at around £30-£40 each. People
buy them after they have a washing machine flood or similar and then get
rid of them. They're barely used, one was still in the original packaging!

All three have humidistats so they run only when the humidity is over an
adjustable value so they're economical.

All three have been switched on for the last six months and work fine. My
favourite is a white no-name B&Q one that looks like a coffee machine so
it resides in the kitchen.

Another Dave

My limited experience is that desiccant ones work much better, particularly
at low temperatures. We have one in our camper an and it does a great job.
Much lighter than compressor ones too. Higher power consumption but them it
seems to work a lot better.

We bought ours off eBay. Supposedly refurbished but you'd never know. WAY
cheaper than normal new price.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2013 10:09, R D S wrote:
I'm after a small dehumidifier.

From what little I know about them I think compressor types are
better,
is this correct?
It will be running much of the time so want something economical.
Noise isn't an issue.

If anyone has any recommendations i'd be grateful.

Have no idea whatsoever about quality or value, but Lidl have a
dehumidifier on sale on Monday:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-9C...idl_uk/hs.xsl/

our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=5305&ar=2

Great, i'll have a look at that.

Got the Lidl one, it's a decent unit, removes plenty of water, might be a
bit noisy in the home depending on where you put it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, August 26, 2013 11:33:45 AM UTC+1, happy zombie jebus on the cross wrote:
i used the aircon for the first time ever last week.

Um, using it keeps the oil circulating through the system and the seals lubricated and thus... sealing. Lack of use, ironically, can cause failure (leakage, needing regassing by F-Gas bod, new dryer).

If the HVAC condensate hose is blocked it can dump into the passenger footwell on some cars. Lift trunk/boot & footwell carpets and check for water. Some cars do unfortunately suffer leaks by design, others if the sunroof/boot seals are not working properly.

There are still alfasquelch wannabees out there...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2013 10:09, R D S wrote:
I'm after a small dehumidifier.

From what little I know about them I think compressor types are
better,
is this correct?
It will be running much of the time so want something economical.
Noise isn't an issue.

If anyone has any recommendations i'd be grateful.

Have no idea whatsoever about quality or value, but Lidl have a
dehumidifier on sale on Monday:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-9C...idl_uk/hs.xsl/

our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=5305&ar=2

Great, i'll have a look at that.

Got the Lidl one, it's a decent unit, removes plenty of water, might be a
bit noisy in the home depending on where you put it.

Yep, me too, agreed.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2013 10:09, R D S wrote:
I'm after a small dehumidifier.

From what little I know about them I think compressor types are better,
is this correct?
It will be running much of the time so want something economical.
Noise isn't an issue.

If anyone has any recommendations i'd be grateful.

My Father just picked a deal one up at LIDL today
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1255662 20130912 140035 Rick Hughes wrote:
On 24/08/2013 10:09, R D S wrote:
I'm after a small dehumidifier.

From what little I know about them I think compressor types are better,
is this correct?
It will be running much of the time so want something economical.
Noise isn't an issue.

If anyone has any recommendations i'd be grateful.

My Father just picked a deal one up at LIDL today

I bought the Lidl one a week or two ago.
It's so noisy my wife won't have it switched on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2013 10:09, R D S wrote:
I'm after a small dehumidifier.

From what little I know about them I think compressor types are better,
is this correct?
It will be running much of the time so want something economical.
Noise isn't an issue.

If anyone has any recommendations i'd be grateful.

My Father just picked a deal one up at LIDL today

I bought the Lidl one a week or two ago.
It's so noisy my wife won't have it switched on.

With her on that - too noisy to have in an occupied room.

The fan is pretty powerful, though, to the point that I can see the
'clothes drying' function working well.

And while it's difficult to tell what might have been without, and of
course I need to sell it to myself, it seems to have done a sterling job
around the house while I've got plasterers in.

Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2013 07:37, Bob Martin wrote:

I bought the Lidl one a week or two ago.
It's so noisy my wife won't have it switched on.

It's only for his garage which is seperate to house - so no problem
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Rick Hughes
writes
On 13/09/2013 07:37, Bob Martin wrote:

I bought the Lidl one a week or two ago.
It's so noisy my wife won't have it switched on.

It's only for his garage which is seperate to house - so no problem

BUT.... AIUI, the Lidl dehumidifiers are compressor types and don't
work well at lower temperatures.
--
Chris Holford

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1256255 20130915 220220 Chris Holford wrote:
In article , Rick Hughes
writes
On 13/09/2013 07:37, Bob Martin wrote:

I bought the Lidl one a week or two ago.
It's so noisy my wife won't have it switched on.

It's only for his garage which is seperate to house - so no problem

BUT.... AIUI, the Lidl dehumidifiers are compressor types and don't
work well at lower temperatures.

That's right; user manual says not below 5C.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Martin wrote:
in 1256255 20130915 220220 Chris Holford wrote:
In article , Rick Hughes
writes
On 13/09/2013 07:37, Bob Martin wrote:

I bought the Lidl one a week or two ago.
It's so noisy my wife won't have it switched on.

It's only for his garage which is seperate to house - so no problem

BUT.... AIUI, the Lidl dehumidifiers are compressor types and don't
work well at lower temperatures.

That's right; user manual says not below 5C.

I suspect performance will tail off badly significantly above that though.
Ours is naff when it's cool.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2013 10:09, R D S wrote:
I'm after a small dehumidifier.

From what little I know about them I think compressor types are
better,
is this correct?
It will be running much of the time so want something economical.
Noise isn't an issue.

If anyone has any recommendations i'd be grateful.

Have no idea whatsoever about quality or value, but Lidl have a
dehumidifier on sale on Monday:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-9C...idl_uk/hs.xsl/

our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=5305&ar=2

Great, i'll have a look at that.

Got the Lidl one, it's a decent unit, removes plenty of water, might be a
bit noisy in the home depending on where you put it.

My best eBay purchase was one of these that I picked up (from he same
seller I think) for £37 + reasonable postage. Better still, my purchase
came with a bit of minor damage to the case & cable so the seller sent me
another one and showed no interest in getting the first one back. Two for
half the price of a new one!

Much more efficient at removing water than our old condenser one and on the
lowest fan setting very discrete. (We can sleep with it running in our
motorcaravan).

Tim

air con or dehumidifier? Simon Finnigan UK diy 34 September 10th 11 09:48 PM
Dehumidifier. terry Home Repair 4 October 23rd 07 04:28 PM
Please share your dehumidifier recommendations Stan Brown Home Ownership 6 September 22nd 07 06:04 PM
kenmore dehumidifier-recommendations? Michael Muderick Home Repair 3 August 18th 07 05:41 PM
dehumidifier Jay Stootzmann Home Repair 0 July 11th 07 03:31 AM