Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Please share your dehumidifier recommendations

I posted this three days ago and got no responses, so I hope you
don't mind if I repost. Surely there are a lot of homeowners with
dehudifiers! I'd be grateful for your recommendations pro or con.

Much to my surprise, there's nothing in the Consumer Reports Buying
Guide nor in the 12-month index of the October issue. Can someone
make a recommendation? I'm looking for

-- energy efficient
-- relatively low in noise
-- setting for target humidity in percent
-- hose connection for continuous discharge to floor drain
-- not made by LG Electronics

Thanks!

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Much to my surprise, there's nothing in the Consumer Reports Buying
Guide nor in the 12-month index of the October issue. Can someone
make a recommendation? I'm looking for

-- energy efficient
-- relatively low in noise
-- setting for target humidity in percent
-- hose connection for continuous discharge to floor drain
-- not made by LG Electronics

I decided on and recommend the Delonghi that Costco carries:
http://tinyurl.com/357bv5

This particular unit I think is Costco-specific, but there are
similar
variants out there that aren't Costco. IIRC, the only difference was
the pump.

It meets your requirements except low noise. Everyone's definition
of noise level is different, but I'd call it medium+ for noise. It's
not loud.

The pump feature is nice but you can also turn it off and set things
up for traditional gravity feed.

Max

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Stan Brown" wrote
I posted this three days ago and got no responses, so I hope you
don't mind if I repost. Surely there are a lot of homeowners with
dehudifiers! I'd be grateful for your recommendations pro or con.

Much to my surprise, there's nothing in the Consumer Reports Buying
Guide nor in the 12-month index of the October issue. Can someone
make a recommendation? I'm looking for

-- energy efficient
-- relatively low in noise
-- setting for target humidity in percent
-- hose connection for continuous discharge to floor drain
-- not made by LG Electronics

Thanks!

===

I bought this Danby several months ago and have been very pleased with its
performance.

http://www.allergybuyersclubshopping...midifiers.html

Posted to misc.consumers.house
z z is offline

On Sep 17, 8:09 pm, Stan Brown wrote:
I posted this three days ago and got no responses, so I hope you
don't mind if I repost. Surely there are a lot of homeowners with
dehudifiers! I'd be grateful for your recommendations pro or con.

Much to my surprise, there's nothing in the Consumer Reports Buying
Guide nor in the 12-month index of the October issue. Can someone
make a recommendation? I'm looking for

-- energy efficient
-- relatively low in noise
-- setting for target humidity in percent
-- hose connection for continuous discharge to floor drain
-- not made by LG Electronics

Thanks!

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

There's not a lot not made by LG, I've discovered. I've got a Sears
that's a couple of years old and it's an LG. I found another place in
NY that sells refurbished LGs and gone through a few of those, with
different labels on them; comfort_aire, etc.
I've been through a lot of fan motors with them.

I've also got an older Whirlpool, 6 years old? 10? the kind that had a
recall early on so as to not set things on fire. But aside from that,
it's been OK. Analog humidity control, no digital display. Basically,
it's just run continuously every since it was new. The only drawback:
unlike the LG where the optional hose connection goes right on the
drip from the coils, the Whirlpool drain connection is just a tap into
the side of the bucket, so it's got standing water in it always and
need periodic degunking.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Thanks to those who responded.

I had assumed that I'd have a lot of choices, but I was wrong,
Walmart, Kmart, Target, Best Buy had no units. Lowe's and Sears had
one line each, so in 50-pint my choices are Whirlpool AD50USS ($189),
which has analog controls but supposedly operates down to 38 degrees,
and Kenmore 42-54501 ($200), which has digital controls and requires
65 degrees ambient temperature.

There's a Home Depot in town, but after looking at its Web site I
don't think there's much point in going to the store.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Stan Brown" wrote
Thanks to those who responded.

I had assumed that I'd have a lot of choices, but I was wrong,
Walmart, Kmart, Target, Best Buy had no units. Lowe's and Sears had
one line each, so in 50-pint my choices are Whirlpool AD50USS ($189),
which has analog controls but supposedly operates down to 38 degrees,
and Kenmore 42-54501 ($200), which has digital controls and requires
65 degrees ambient temperature.

There's a Home Depot in town, but after looking at its Web site I
don't think there's much point in going to the store.

==
So...did you buy one? I ordered my Danby online.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Fri, 21 Sep 2007 21:33:29 GMT from Gini :

So...did you buy one? I ordered my Danby online.

Yes, this morning I bought the Whirlpool AD50USS. There were only two
50-pint models available in the Ithaca area, and I don't have want to
buy something like this remotely.

Thanks again to all who responded.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/