Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Private water supply filtration help

Hi y'all,

Mah name's Billy Joe Jim-Bob Mary Ellen Walton (mah daddy wanted a cross
dresser and stuck with the name even when he got a boy) and ah got me one of
they new fangled filtration systems on the private well in mah new house. In
the garage it's got a pump, a big vertical metal tank about 3 feet high and
9" diameter with the filtration medium in it and an ultra violent lamp which
parrently terrifies the microbes into submission after they done come
through the filtration medium in the vertical tank.

So anyhoo, after a year or so after moving in the water done started running
a tad less clear than afore so I thought ah better fill me the vertical tank
again with them white pellets ah done got half a bag left off of by the
previous owners.

Ah switched off the pump and took me the top off the tank with the big
plastic spanner they left lying atop oh it and unner that wuz a white
plastic strainer thingy and that just done pulled straight up and out like
it was no big thang. Then I tried pouring them pellets in with a cup
thinking I'd need to fill half that tank or more with like a gallon or so of
pellets but after a couple of cups it seemed right full and no more would go
in. Ah even firkled about with a screwdriver to try and git the pellets down
into the tank but it seemed to bottom out and no more would go in.

Now I know they only just fitted that system just afore I bought the house
coz it was a condition of sale and all that wuz left of that big sack of
pellets like the size of a sack of coal they left me was less than half so
ah reckon the other half must be in that tank from the git go. So why caint
ah git more an a cup or two oh pellets into a tank that must surely take a
couple of gallons or more if it's clear an open right down to the bottom?
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:
[...]

more info required.

What type of pellets are they? - what does it say on the bag?

If you took the cartridge out to fill it, why can't you fill it?

what name is on the filter?

do you have a camera? - upload to tinypic

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
more info required.

What type of pellets are they? - what does it say on the bag?

If you took the cartridge out to fill it, why can't you fill it?

what name is on the filter?

do you have a camera? - upload to tinypic

Ah done found the answer. The pellets don't dissolve like the salt in water
softeners ah done thought they'd be like. They just git brown and ****ty
like Satan's thumb from the crap they done soaked up. Ah needed to remove
the whole top off the cylinder, shake all the water and the old dirty
pellets out and refill with new ones. Jings that cylinder wuz heavy and it
was a passel oh work shakin' it out. Ah'm tahred now but happy. That's
another job done that'll not need doing again til next year.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
Ah done found the answer. The pellets don't dissolve like the salt in
water softeners ah done thought they'd be like. They just git brown and
****ty like Satan's thumb from the crap they done soaked up. Ah needed to
remove the whole top off the cylinder, shake all the water and the old
dirty pellets out and refill with new ones. Jings that cylinder wuz heavy
and it was a passel oh work shakin' it out. Ah'm tahred now but happy.
That's another job done that'll not need doing again til next year.

********. Now I have no water at all. I think I filled the 1" diameter
central feed tube that runs up the cylinder from the bottom with pellets and
I'm now surmising I should have just poured them round the outside of that.
Ho hum. Empty it all out again tomorrow and have another try.
--
Dave Baker