Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Advice on three phase.

A pal on a car forum has asked about getting a three phase supply for his
workshop. He lives in an old railway station, and *thinks* there is three
phases incoming. (I've asked for a pic) He's contacted his supplier and
can't seem to get an answer from them. Should he be asking for a
particular department - like commercial or whatever? And has anyone got a
ball park figure just for the supplier fitting the required new meter etc
- not the cost of installing the three phase cables etc to the workshop.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
A pal on a car forum has asked about getting a three phase supply for his
workshop. He lives in an old railway station, and *thinks* there is three
phases incoming. (I've asked for a pic) He's contacted his supplier and
can't seem to get an answer from them. Should he be asking for a
particular department - like commercial or whatever? And has anyone got a
ball park figure just for the supplier fitting the required new meter etc
- not the cost of installing the three phase cables etc to the workshop.

Take a few photos and post a link to them here Dave .. be the best bet...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
A pal on a car forum has asked about getting a three phase supply for his
workshop. He lives in an old railway station, and *thinks* there is three
phases incoming. (I've asked for a pic) He's contacted his supplier and
can't seem to get an answer from them. Should he be asking for a
particular department - like commercial or whatever? And has anyone got a
ball park figure just for the supplier fitting the required new meter etc
- not the cost of installing the three phase cables etc to the workshop.

If the supply is overhead,it's just a case of going outside and counting the
number of wires on a nearby pole.

If there is three phase incoming, there will be three fuses in the cutout
and four wires coming in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
A pal on a car forum has asked about getting a three phase supply for
his workshop.

He lives in an old railway station,

That must have a story to it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , harryagain
wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
A pal on a car forum has asked about getting a three phase supply for
his workshop. He lives in an old railway station, and *thinks* there is
three phases incoming. (I've asked for a pic) He's contacted his
supplier and can't seem to get an answer from them. Should he be asking
for a particular department - like commercial or whatever? And has
anyone got a ball park figure just for the supplier fitting the
required new meter etc - not the cost of installing the three phase
cables etc to the workshop.

If the supply is overhead,it's just a case of going outside and counting
the number of wires on a nearby pole.

If there is three phase incoming, there will be three fuses in the cutout
and four wires coming in.

or as in my house, 1 fuse and 2 blanks and two wires coming out.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, August 19, 2013 9:55:13 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

A pal on a car forum has asked about getting a three phase supply for

his workshop.

He lives in an old railway station,

That must have a story to it.

--

Adam

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Railway-...ilway+children
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-08-19, ARW wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
A pal on a car forum has asked about getting a three phase supply for
his workshop.

He lives in an old railway station,

That must have a story to it.

I expect he wants to draw a line through it.

Don't try to use it as a platform for your ideas about PT.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-08-19, ARW wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

[snip]
He lives in an old railway station,

That must have a story to it.

I expect he wants to draw a line through it.

Don't try to use it as a platform for your ideas about PT.

Perhaps not, but once the thread is in train.

Are you on the level? Crossing into new territory here.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2013-08-19, ARW wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
A pal on a car forum has asked about getting a three phase supply for
his workshop.

He lives in an old railway station,

That must have a story to it.

I expect he wants to draw a line through it.

Is there a point to this?

--
*How's my driving? Call 999*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2013-08-19, ARW wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
A pal on a car forum has asked about getting a three phase supply
for his workshop.

He lives in an old railway station,

That must have a story to it.

I expect he wants to draw a line through it.

Is there a point to this?

I think it's crossing to a new level.

No, just shunting puns backwards and forwards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2013-08-19, ARW wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
A pal on a car forum has asked about getting a three phase supply for
his workshop.
He lives in an old railway station,
That must have a story to it.

I expect he wants to draw a line through it.

Is there a point to this?

Only that he represents a signal failure.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2013-08-19, ARW wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
A pal on a car forum has asked about getting a three phase supply
for his workshop.
He lives in an old railway station,
That must have a story to it.
I expect he wants to draw a line through it.
Is there a point to this?

I think it's crossing to a new level.

No, just shunting puns backwards and forwards.

not shunting puns - entraining double entendres.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2013 22:22, charles wrote:
In article , harryagain
wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
A pal on a car forum has asked about getting a three phase supply for
his workshop. He lives in an old railway station, and *thinks* there is
three phases incoming. (I've asked for a pic) He's contacted his
supplier and can't seem to get an answer from them. Should he be asking
for a particular department - like commercial or whatever? And has
anyone got a ball park figure just for the supplier fitting the
required new meter etc - not the cost of installing the three phase
cables etc to the workshop.

If the supply is overhead,it's just a case of going outside and counting
the number of wires on a nearby pole.

If there is three phase incoming, there will be three fuses in the cutout
and four wires coming in.

or as in my house, 1 fuse and 2 blanks and two wires coming out.

I have a vague recollection that here an armoured cable with three phase
and neutral comes into each house, but only a single phase and neutral
make it through the terminating enclosure to the incoming fuse box.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

you can get armoured three phase at 250v rated levels yes.

Mine is a single phase transformer feeding a single phase coax.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus

In article ,
On 2013-08-19, ARW wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
A pal on a car forum has asked about getting a three phase supply
for his workshop.
He lives in an old railway station,
That must have a story to it.
I expect he wants to draw a line through it.
Is there a point to this?
I think it's crossing to a new level.

No, just shunting puns backwards and forwards.

not shunting puns - entraining double entendres.

We'll have to have a "possession" on that!...

--
Tony Sayer