Senior Member

Default uPVC windows

I am planning to replace my wooden windows for uPVC ones.

What are the two or three best brands?

Thanks,

Antonio
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2013 17:18, asalcedo wrote:
I am planning to replace my wooden windows for uPVC ones.

What are the two or three best brands?

Thanks,

Antonio

There aren't any! Look for small local firms which make their own
windows rather than the large national companies.

Even better, go for thermal-break aluminium rather than uPVC.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 13 August 2013 17:18 asalcedo wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I am planning to replace my wooden windows for uPVC ones.

What are the two or three best brands?

Thanks,

Antonio

http://windowsanddoors.co.uk/

are pretty good - though a little hard to pop the beading in.

Good website to get a cost of unit quote and see the options.

Croft Glass (of Kent) make nice units.

Bear in mind - there ar eonly a few makes of the extrusions - everyone just
buys those in and chops and welds them into the final unit.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
asalcedo wrote:

I am planning to replace my wooden windows for uPVC ones.

What are the two or three best brands?

Don't go with the large companies such as Everest or Anglia. They use all
the 2nd hand car salesman techniques such as quoting an inflated price and
then offering "deals" (which always expire today) to get the price down to
only 50% more than a small local company.

+1

My mum had one of these Everest parasites round, fortunately she remembered
to tell me about it and I was there. He quoted her 3 grand for a new single
back door, but shock horror he could "do it for £2,200 if you sign now". He
even did the "I'll phone my boss while you listen to the call and I'll
pretend to argue with him to get another 200 quid off" crap. 3 times he
tried to push her into signing up there and then, despite me telling him not
to, and that I have power of attorney over her finances and was getting more
quotes from other firms. I had to ask him to leave in the end. He packed up
his little laptop and stomped off in a huff, I'm quite glad I wasted an hour
of his time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2013 18:42, Roger Mills wrote:
On 13/08/2013 17:18, asalcedo wrote:
I am planning to replace my wooden windows for uPVC ones.

What are the two or three best brands?

Thanks,

Antonio

There aren't any! Look for small local firms which make their own
windows rather than the large national companies.

Even better, go for thermal-break aluminium rather than uPVC.

Very few companies find it worthwhile to make their own windows these
days. Most local firms are just buying stuff in from a handful of large
concerns and getting whatever markup they can. Fortunately it's a very
competitive market

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2013 19:17, stuart noble wrote:
On 13/08/2013 18:42, Roger Mills wrote:
On 13/08/2013 17:18, asalcedo wrote:
I am planning to replace my wooden windows for uPVC ones.

What are the two or three best brands?

Thanks,

Antonio

There aren't any! Look for small local firms which make their own
windows rather than the large national companies.

Even better, go for thermal-break aluminium rather than uPVC.

Very few companies find it worthwhile to make their own windows these
days. Most local firms are just buying stuff in from a handful of large
concerns and getting whatever markup they can. Fortunately it's a very
competitive market

I went around five this morning. That's within five miles.
They nearly all use the same Swish branded extrusions.
They all quoted similar prices too, well within 20%.
I don't think they make the double glazing panels though, just the frames.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 18:18:45 +0200 Asalcedo wrote :
I am planning to replace my wooden windows for uPVC ones.

What are the two or three best brands?

They're harder to find but when I replaced windows on my UK home I used
thermal break aluminium which I reckon better from a sightline and long
term durability pov. Mine (2008) came from Royale Glazing, Hounslow
http://www.checkatrade.com/RoyaleGlazing/

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

asalcedo wrote:
I am planning to replace my wooden windows for uPVC ones.

What are the two or three best brands?

Thanks,

Antonio

Yorkshire Windows are very good, and cover a wide area.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote:
I used thermal break aluminium which I reckon better from a sightline
and long term durability pov. Mine (2008) came from Royale Glazing,
Hounslow
http://www.checkatrade.com/RoyaleGlazing/

Looks like they've gone ...

http://www.royale-glazing.co.uk
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wright[_2_] View Post
asalcedo wrote:
I am planning to replace my wooden windows for uPVC ones.

What are the two or three best brands?

Thanks,

Antonio

Yorkshire Windows are very good, and cover a wide area.

Bill
So far, I am getting names of installers. Which is helpful.

But, what about brand names of the actual windows? Are there not meaningful differences between them?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"asalcedo" wrote in message

I am planning to replace my wooden windows for uPVC ones.

What are the two or three best brands?

Thanks,

Antonio

--
asalcedo

None of them is very durable and are irreparable. I am now looking at a set
of Everest windows, 20 years old in brown uPVC, which will have to be
replaced soon. The plastic has perished, the rubber seals torn and the
aluminium worn. If they had been decent timber, they would be easily
maintained, easy to repair and look better. My own house is 120 years old
and has all its original windows. My previous house was built in 1809 -
same story.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"asalcedo" wrote in message

I am planning to replace my wooden windows for uPVC ones.

What are the two or three best brands?

Thanks,

Antonio

You can buy and fit your own. Small ones are quite easy.
They get harder to fit as they get bigger.

Double doors are difficult.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Make sure (ie, specify) that any openers are hinged on the
longest side. This weird fad for hinging openers on their
shortest side just makes the opened window look as though
whoever installed it can't tell one end of a ruler from the
other - they look like they're going to take somebody's head off.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:18:32 AM UTC+1, wrote:
Make sure (ie, specify) that any openers are hinged on the

longest side. This weird fad for hinging openers on their

shortest side just makes the opened window look as though

whoever installed it can't tell one end of a ruler from the

other - they look like they're going to take somebody's head off.

JGH

You mean the hinge on the top instead of on the side for windows that are taller vertically ?
I don't like that look, but an advantage is they can be left open in the rain.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 August 2013 17:18:45 UTC+1, asalcedo wrote:
I am planning to replace my wooden windows for uPVC ones.

What are the two or three best brands?

Where in the country are you? May be people could then suggest someone suitable. As well as profiles etc. make sure you understand U-values and the WER. In a similar situation I ended up with triple-glazed windows from a local company. Over all U-value was 0.9.

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 14, 2013 8:32:20 AM UTC+1, Geoff Pearson wrote:
snip

None of them is very durable and are irreparable. I am now looking at a set
of Everest windows, 20 years old in brown uPVC, which will have to be
replaced soon. The plastic has perished, the rubber seals torn and the
aluminium worn. If they had been decent timber, they would be easily
maintained, easy to repair and look better. My own house is 120 years old
and has all its original windows. My previous house was built in 1809 -
same story.

My house (also around 120 years old) has just one window which is in desperate need of replacement - it's the only non-original one, replaced when the previous owner was doing up the kitchen...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Wednesday, August 14, 2013 8:32:20 AM UTC+1, Geoff Pearson wrote:
snip

None of them is very durable and are irreparable. I am now looking at
a set of Everest windows, 20 years old in brown uPVC, which will have
to be replaced soon. The plastic has perished, the rubber seals torn
and the aluminium worn. If they had been decent timber, they would be
easily maintained, easy to repair and look better. My own house is
120 years old and has all its original windows. My previous house was
built in 1809 - same story.

My house (also around 120 years old) has just one window which is in
desperate need of replacement - it's the only non-original one, replaced
when the previous owner was doing up the kitchen...

my house is a comparative younster - only 102 years old. 5 years ago we
had most windows replaced - with wooden ones. I hope they last 90+ years
too, although I don't think I'll be around to see.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-08-14, Geoff Pearson wrote:

"asalcedo" wrote in message

I am planning to replace my wooden windows for uPVC ones.

What are the two or three best brands?

Thanks,

Antonio

--
asalcedo

None of them is very durable and are irreparable. I am now looking at a
set
of Everest windows, 20 years old in brown uPVC, which will have to be
replaced soon. The plastic has perished, the rubber seals torn and the
aluminium worn. If they had been decent timber, they would be easily
maintained, easy to repair and look better.

And would you have the upstairs ones installed by flying pigs?

--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 7th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3179
RIP Karen Black (July 1, 1939 €“ August 8, 2013)

flying pigs would do as well as Everest. On the other hand it is easy to
install a decently made set of redwood windows that will last 3 times as
long as any plastic/aluminium jobs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-08-14, Geoff Pearson wrote:

"asalcedo" wrote in message

[...]

I have to correct myself - the worn-out jobbies were C R Smith not Everest.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthelliwell[_2_] View Post
On Tuesday, 13 August 2013 17:18:45 UTC+1, asalcedo wrote:
I am planning to replace my wooden windows for uPVC ones.

What are the two or three best brands?

Where in the country are you? May be people could then suggest someone suitable. As well as profiles etc. make sure you understand U-values and the WER. In a similar situation I ended up with triple-glazed windows from a local company. Over all U-value was 0.9.

Matt
I am in central London
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 07:58:32 +0100 Andy Burns wrote :
Tony Bryer wrote:
I used thermal break aluminium which I reckon better from a sightline
and long term durability pov. Mine (2008) came from Royale Glazing,
Hounslow
http://www.checkatrade.com/RoyaleGlazing/

Looks like they've gone ...

http://www.royale-glazing.co.uk

Gone to http://www.royaleglazing.co.uk

Sensible thing would have been to keep both URLs

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Tony Bryer wrote:
I used thermal break aluminium which I reckon better from a sightline
and long term durability pov. Mine (2008) came from Royale Glazing,
Hounslow
http://www.checkatrade.com/RoyaleGlazing/

Looks like they've gone ...

http://www.royale-glazing.co.uk

Gone to http://www.royaleglazing.co.uk

Sensible thing would have been to keep both URLs

"Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player."

and got a competent web designer.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, August 13, 2013 6:42:36 PM UTC+1, Roger Mills wrote:
On 13/08/2013 17:18, asalcedo wrote:

Even better, go for thermal-break aluminium rather than uPVC.

+1

Jonathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

asalcedo wrote:

I am planning to replace my wooden windows for uPVC ones.

What are the two or three best brands?

Don't go with the large companies such as Everest or Anglia. They use all
the 2nd hand car salesman techniques such as quoting an inflated price and
then offering "deals" (which always expire today)

If they do report then to trading standards

that is now officially an illegal selling technique (the expiring today bit)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 10:07:40 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

Note that the skill of the installers is also very important.

Agreed, you may have good windows made from decent profiles and good
glazing but if they are installed by a monkey using a couple of nails
and the minimum of sealant... It's not difficult to install a window
but to do well takes time and time is money.

As others have said there are very few makes of the profiles so try
and find out which profile you like the look of then find a local
company who can make your frames with that profile. The smaller
companies will buy in from the same local maker. With the sealed
units again there are only a few makers of those, the frame making
companies will buy in the glazing from one of those.

Above all avoid Everest, Anglian, etc biggest cowboys out there. With
Anglian the "branches" are actually franchises, when (not if...) you
get problems Anglian HQ won't be at all interested and just push you
back to the franschise. Their fitters are pretty hopeless, it says
something when they have to full time "trouble shooting" teams
following the fitters around...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

asalcedo wrote:

I am planning to replace my wooden windows for uPVC ones.

What are the two or three best brands?

Don't go with the large companies such as Everest or Anglia. They use
all the 2nd hand car salesman techniques such as quoting an inflated
price and then offering "deals" (which always expire today)

If they do report then to trading standards

that is now officially an illegal selling technique (the expiring today
bit)

Do they have to expire "today" for that to be the case, or can they expire
not today but still only a short time in the future?

well the rule is:

"7. Falsely stating that a product will only be available for a very
limited time, or that it will only be available on particular terms for a
very limited time, in order to elicit an immediate decision and deprive
consumers of sufficient opportunity or time to make an informed choice"

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 14 August 2013 18:28 Jonathan wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Tuesday, August 13, 2013 6:42:36 PM UTC+1, Roger Mills wrote:
On 13/08/2013 17:18, asalcedo wrote:

Even better, go for thermal-break aluminium rather than uPVC.

+1

Jonathan

My ali windows are at least 30 years old.

The only thing wrong with them is the power coating is a bit fouled up - and
T-cut fixes that nicely.

They are 12mm gap DG with a 4mm thermal break so not upto currect standards
- however, some checking showed they were not that far off - not far enough
to get any payback by replacing them.

For the anally retentive, replacing the DG panels (several are misting up)
with modern coated ones will add some improvement.

I did add new locking handles (they were drilled to one of several standards
and a bit of wibbling on ebay turned up compatible handles).

I have replaced 7 other windows (crittal and softwood non DG) with decent
quality uPVC in rosewood finish. Ask me in 20 years how those are going.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater writes:

You will find that a small local cpy will give you a quote, and then
you'll never hear from them again unless you contact them to accept it.
Unlike Everest etc who will pester you for up to a year after you've
turned them down.

"Up to a year"!
Everest have been pestering me for nearly 12 years now, since I
asked for a quote (which came in at 3 times higher than the local
firm I used).

--
Andrew Gabriel

UPVC windows Craig UK diy 7 July 22nd 06 11:29 AM
upvc windows Jim Scott UK diy 8 July 2nd 06 02:33 PM
upvc windows (o/t) tonyjeffs UK diy 9 April 24th 06 06:26 AM
UPvc windows Davao UK diy 8 April 5th 06 10:19 PM
upvc windows [email protected] UK diy 23 September 21st 05 05:01 PM