Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Question re life of alkaline batteries

I am about to replace the `d` batteries on my wireless alarm box (yale).
I purchased fresh batteries that have a best before of 2019. The alarm
states 2 years or more for the life of the batteries. The alarm is
rarely used, maybe 4 times a year but thats for switching it on and off
and it has never gone off in anger yet.
With this rate of usage should I get pretty near the `best before` date
before having to replace again or is there some other reason once
installed they would consume the power from the batteries.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 15:03:40 +0100, ss wrote:

I am about to replace the `d` batteries on my wireless alarm box (yale).
I purchased fresh batteries that have a best before of 2019. The alarm
states 2 years or more for the life of the batteries. The alarm is
rarely used, maybe 4 times a year but thats for switching it on and off
and it has never gone off in anger yet.
With this rate of usage should I get pretty near the `best before` date
before having to replace again or is there some other reason once
installed they would consume the power from the batteries.

You might want to consider lithium non-rechargable AA cells for that
application.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 15:17:09 +0100, Graham. wrote:

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 15:03:40 +0100, ss wrote:

I am about to replace the `d` batteries on my wireless alarm box (yale).
I purchased fresh batteries that have a best before of 2019. The alarm
states 2 years or more for the life of the batteries. The alarm is
rarely used, maybe 4 times a year but thats for switching it on and off
and it has never gone off in anger yet.
With this rate of usage should I get pretty near the `best before` date
before having to replace again or is there some other reason once
installed they would consume the power from the batteries.

You might want to consider lithium non-rechargable AA cells for that
application.

OK "D" cells, but the lithium suggestion still stands.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
I am about to replace the `d` batteries on my wireless alarm box (yale). I
purchased fresh batteries that have a best before of 2019. The alarm
states 2 years or more for the life of the batteries. The alarm is rarely
used, maybe 4 times a year but thats for switching it on and off and it has
never gone off in anger yet.
With this rate of usage should I get pretty near the `best before` date
before having to replace again or is there some other reason once
installed they would consume the power from the batteries.

An aside perhaps.
I use a couple of Yale wireless alarms. They're about as good as wireless
kit gets imho.
Presuming your bellbox is at some altitude.
If you can securely do so, it might be worth rigging up a remote battery
supply.
Through the wall to a location of your choice. Makes changing battery
process much easier.
Stay with alkaline batteries. The cost of more modern batts is not worth the
expense. I tried a mains powered power supply, didn't work. Spoke to Yale
about this. They said 'it won't work'. They were right but I do not
understand why.
Just my 2d's worth.
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 08/08/2013 17:13, Nick wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I like the idea of a remote power supply, I am not electronically minded
so is it a simple enough job to do. Anything that saves me going up a
ladder is good in my book.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd imagine the whole idea is to make it tamper proof ie with any wires from
bell, you can cut them, no bell.

As for why mains supply won'dt work, who knows. I guess it depends how
sensitive the things is to ripple.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"ss" wrote in message
On 08/08/2013 17:13, Nick wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 15:19:00 +0100, Graham. wrote:

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 15:17:09 +0100, Graham. wrote:

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 15:03:40 +0100, ss wrote:

I am about to replace the `d` batteries on my wireless alarm box (yale).
I purchased fresh batteries that have a best before of 2019. The alarm
states 2 years or more for the life of the batteries. The alarm is
rarely used, maybe 4 times a year but thats for switching it on and off
and it has never gone off in anger yet.
With this rate of usage should I get pretty near the `best before` date
before having to replace again or is there some other reason once
installed they would consume the power from the batteries.

You might want to consider lithium non-rechargable AA cells for that
application.

OK "D" cells, but the lithium suggestion still stands.

Ditto. Energizer Lithium AA's in an AA to D adapter and maybe he'll never need
to replace them again