Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mystery SMPS IC

Trying to source data (and possibly a part) for a switched mode psu control
ic. Number is either BE737423 or 13E737423. This is on the main board of a
small monochrome display monitor and seems to control the SMPS circuitry
generating the internal power rails.

Anyone recognize it? Anyone have a data sheet? Anyone have one (!!) ?

Picture is worth a thousand words:

http://tinyurl.com/mystery-chip

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

Trying to source data (and possibly a part) for a switched mode psu control
ic. Number is either BE737423 or 13E737423. This is on the main board of a
small monochrome display monitor and seems to control the SMPS circuitry
generating the internal power rails.

Anyone recognize it? Anyone have a data sheet? Anyone have one (!!) ?

Picture is worth a thousand words:

http://tinyurl.com/mystery-chip

AWEM

oops that didn't work try this:

http://m155.photobucket.com/albumvie...8.jpg.html?o=0

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

Trying to source data (and possibly a part) for a switched mode psu
control ic. Number is either BE737423 or 13E737423. This is on the
main board of a small monochrome display monitor and seems to control
the SMPS circuitry generating the internal power rails.

Anyone recognize it? Anyone have a data sheet? Anyone have one (!!) ?

Picture is worth a thousand words:

http://tinyurl.com/mystery-chip

AWEM

oops that didn't work try this:

http://m155.photobucket.com/albumvie...8.jpg.html?o=0

AWEM

Is there a recognisable makers logo on the chip?

Usually worth checking the actual capacitance and ESR of related capacitors.
Some monitor designs weave the whole power supply into the line
oscillator circuitry on the grounds of safety shutdown but making it a
pig to diagnose.
Sometimes forcing one of the low voltage rails up from a bench power
supply can bring it back to life enabling diagnosis.

Good luck

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message ...

Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

Sadly no, Bob, no logos present.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
Trying to source data (and possibly a part) for a switched mode psu
control ic. Number is either BE737423 or 13E737423. This is on the main
board of a small monochrome display monitor and seems to control the SMPS
circuitry generating the internal power rails.

Anyone recognize it? Anyone have a data sheet? Anyone have one (!!) ?

Picture is worth a thousand words:

http://tinyurl.com/mystery-chip

AWEM

Doesn't look like any type of SMPS controller IC that I've ever come across.
In fact, I don't think I have ever seen anything other than power amp or
motor controller ICs in that sort of package. SMPS one-chip solutions with
built in power device, are usually in a TO220 style package with five or six
legs. Similar looking to TDA2030 power amp IC. Is this a CRT monitor ? If
so, the first thing that I would have suspected that IC to be, is the field
output device ??

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message ...

[...]

no definitely smps. lopt driver is elsewhere

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/13 06:37, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message ...

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in
message ...
[...]

spent some time googling..its a rare package.

But not unkown. Suggest the chip is probably pushing out up to 50W in
terms of likely efficiency and heat sink size.

The problem is that may well be a Chinese or SE asian chip made
specifically for companies that spat these monitors - anmd indeed PC
style power supplies - out in volume, and never made it anywhere else.

and essenitially unobtaianble as a spare.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message ...

[...]

Could well be right there, though it is a German made main board - it's a
12" Heidenhain BE412B CNC controller monitor. There are commercial retrofits
using a TFT screen and electronics to emulate the original interface, but
quite pricey - I've been quoted between £460 and £980 from different
sources, which for a 12" B&W monitor is really silly money. The only real
issue is the synch frequency - the signal complement is only Vsync, Hsync,
Bright/Dim & Video so it should be possible to bodge something to work I
would have thought

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
Could well be right there, though it is a German made main board - it's a
12" Heidenhain BE412B CNC controller monitor. There are commercial
retrofits using a TFT screen and electronics to emulate the original
interface, but quite pricey - I've been quoted between £460 and £980 from
different sources, which for a 12" B&W monitor is really silly money. The
only real issue is the synch frequency - the signal complement is only
Vsync, Hsync, Bright/Dim & Video so it should be possible to bodge
something to work I would have thought

Is that CGA/EGA kind of frequencies (15KHz line rate) or something higher?
Try one of the small Raspberry Pi monitors that take composite perhaps?
Making a component to composite adaptor shouldn't be hard, or they can be
found on ebay for cheap.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Aug 2013 20:58:32 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

Trying to source data (and possibly a part) for a switched mode psu control
ic. Number is either BE737423 or 13E737423. This is on the main board of a
small monochrome display monitor and seems to control the SMPS circuitry
generating the internal power rails.

Anyone recognize it? Anyone have a data sheet? Anyone have one (!!) ?

Picture is worth a thousand words:

http://tinyurl.com/mystery-chip

AWEM

I have looked for 9-pin SIL packages on Google images. I didn't find
anything exactly like yours. There were three kinds of IC:
1. Vertical Deflection TDA3653B and AN5512
2. Triple Video Output Amplifier TDA6108JF
3. Adjustable Dual Tracking Voltage Regulator NE5554U
I don't think a switched mode psu control IC would need a massive
heatsink like on yours.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 11:45:09 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

Could well be right there, though it is a German made main board - it's a
12" Heidenhain BE412B CNC controller monitor. There are commercial retrofits
using a TFT screen and electronics to emulate the original interface, but
quite pricey - I've been quoted between £460 and £980 from different
sources, which for a 12" B&W monitor is really silly money. The only real
issue is the synch frequency - the signal complement is only Vsync, Hsync,
Bright/Dim & Video so it should be possible to bodge something to work I
would have thought

Is"Separate HSYNC and VSYNC signals to composite sync"
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/vga2rgbs.html
about halfway down just below the simple synch combining box diagram,
any use?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message ...

[...]

Err, that was 'field', not line ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2013 20:58, Andrew Mawson wrote:
Trying to source data (and possibly a part) for a switched mode psu
control ic. Number is either BE737423 or 13E737423. This is on the main
board of a small monochrome display monitor and seems to control the
SMPS circuitry generating the internal power rails.

Anyone recognize it? Anyone have a data sheet? Anyone have one (!!) ?

Picture is worth a thousand words:

http://tinyurl.com/mystery-chip

AWEM

Hi Andrew,

I've seen you've posted the controller timing spec before

---
Horizontal Synch: Period 41.7 uSec Amplitude (!!!) 4.67 uSec (presumably
pulse length)
Vertical Synch ; Period19.8 mSec Amplitude 12.5 uSec
--

There seems to be an arcade monitor "medium resolution / EGA" standard
called 24KHz which matches above (as far as I can decipher from google)

On eBay, there are some cheapish (£20) converter boards, that take a
variety of arcade game standards and drive standard VGA monitors.

e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160818784971

No experience of these, connection with trader, few others about, but
could be worth a go?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
---
Horizontal Synch: Period 41.7 uSec Amplitude (!!!) 4.67 uSec (presumably
pulse length)
Vertical Synch ; Period19.8 mSec Amplitude 12.5 uSec
--

There seems to be an arcade monitor "medium resolution / EGA" standard
called 24KHz which matches above (as far as I can decipher from google)

That's well within 'multisync' monitor frequencies - in the late
80s/early-mid 90s, if you bought a high-end monitor it could sync to a wide
range of frequencies. Not just VGA/SVGA/XGA/etc.

Such monitors are now skip fodder, if you can find one. Otherwise there are
probably LCDs with more liberal input acceptance than *GA out there.

Sadly I skipped my 17" CRT multisync the other week due to lack of takers,
but it could sync 15-92KHz line rate.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160818784971

Looks OK though it's a black box so, if it doesn't work, there's nothing to
tweak. But it looks reasonably flexible. I'd be happier if I knew what
chip it used.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message ...

[...]

Well spotted Adrian, but this is actually a different monitor - the previous
one (which now works ) is on a Mitsubishi CNC controller, whereas this
one is on a Heidenhain. - I expect they are both higher frequency than
normal monitors.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 18:26:27 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

"Adrian C" wrote in message ...

[...]

I found a test manual for a Heidenhain product on their website,
showing waveforms for Horizontal and Vertical sync pulses for the
display. They appeared to be standard TV 15KHz/50Hz. You might be able
to find the appropriate waveforms for your CNC, whatever it is.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Adrian C" wrote in message ...

[...]

The monitor interface waveforms are illustrated in the lower half of this
picture if you recognize the timing?

http://s155.photobucket.com/user/awe...g.html?filters[user]=39772696&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2013 20:58, Andrew Mawson wrote:
Trying to source data (and possibly a part) for a switched mode psu control
ic. Number is either BE737423 or 13E737423. This is on the main board of a
small monochrome display monitor and seems to control the SMPS circuitry
generating the internal power rails.

Anyone recognize it? Anyone have a data sheet? Anyone have one (!!) ?

Picture is worth a thousand words:

http://tinyurl.com/mystery-chip

AWEM

ST, Siemens or Infineon did produce a SMPS IC TDA4601 (google should
find a datasheet) which matches the 9 pin SIL package of your chip.
The initial 4604 identifier on your chip suggests it may be some sort
of variant.

Graham

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2013 22:24, Andrew Mawson wrote:

I found a test manual for a Heidenhain product on their website,
showing waveforms for Horizontal and Vertical sync pulses for the
display. They appeared to be standard TV 15KHz/50Hz. You might be able
to find the appropriate waveforms for your CNC, whatever it is.

The monitor interface waveforms are illustrated in the lower half of
this picture if you recognize the timing?

http://s155.photobucket.com/user/awe...g.html?filters[user]=39772696&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

That looks like 32KHz/60Hz

i.e. the most common 640×480 standard VGA mode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Graphics_Array

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2013 14:55, Adrian C wrote:

That looks like 32KHz/60Hz

i.e. the most common 640×480 standard VGA mode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Graphics_Array

For inspiration

http://www.f1-2000.co.uk/index.php?f...nhain_controls

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 22:24:17 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

The monitor interface waveforms are illustrated in the lower half of this
picture if you recognize the timing?

http://s155.photobucket.com/user/awe...g.html?filters[user]=39772696&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

AWEM

Picture is far too small and fuzzy to make out I'm afraid.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message ...

On 06/08/2013 14:55, Adrian C wrote:

That looks like 32KHz/60Hz

i.e. the most common 640×480 standard VGA mode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Graphics_Array

For inspiration

http://www.f1-2000.co.uk/index.php?f...nhain_controls

Thanks Adrian, interesting stuff you've been feeding me !

Andrew

CRT TV SMPS pfm Electronics Repair 2 March 10th 10 07:24 PM
smps servicing [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 July 1st 07 09:48 PM
looking for smps IC Luddite Electronics Repair 1 December 10th 06 02:00 AM
SMPS Don Carroll Electronics 0 March 24th 05 10:18 PM
please help me fix SMPS Louie Electronics Repair 3 August 14th 03 08:54 PM