Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help removing light bulb

I have a strip light in a cupboard. See (a bad picture):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/DSCF0002.JPG

I cannot work out how to remove the bulb which has gone. The plastic clips at the end are screwed to the central portion from behind and I cannot get at the screws. The don't appear to slide so I am now stuck.

Does anyone know how to do it?

Many thanks

Jonathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 06:14:34 -0700, Jonathan wrote:

I cannot work out how to remove the bulb which has gone. The plastic
clips at the end are screwed to the central portion from behind and I
cannot get at the screws. The don't appear to slide so I am now stuck.

They might not appear to slide, but I bet they do. Or, rather, I bet they
should.

If all else fails, a new fitting won't be expensive...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 06:14:34 -0700, Jonathan wrote:

I cannot work out how to remove the bulb which has gone. The plastic
clips at the end are screwed to the central portion from behind and I
cannot get at the screws. The don't appear to slide so I am now stuck.

They might not appear to slide, but I bet they do. Or, rather, I bet they
should.

If all else fails, a new fitting won't be expensive...

I had something similar where the end caps actually pulled off at rt angles
to the tube. A clip held them on and there were locating lugs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jonathan wrote:
I have a strip light in a cupboard. See (a bad picture):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/DSCF0002.JPG

I cannot work out how to remove the bulb which has gone. The plastic
clips at the end are screwed to the central portion from behind and I
cannot get at the screws. The don't appear to slide so I am now stuck.

Does anyone know how to do it?

The bulb (tube) is held in by a strong spring at one end. Try a sideways
movement which pushes the tube into the end cap. The other end of the tube
should then be revealed. Then it should come out.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 29, 2013 2:31:29 PM UTC+1, charles wrote:

The bulb (tube) is held in by a strong spring at one end. Try a sideways

movement which pushes the tube into the end cap. The other end of the tube

should then be revealed. Then it should come out.

It doesn't seem to. there is a metal cap at both ends and as far as I can see tow pins in each cap.

Jonathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jonathan wrote:
On Monday, July 29, 2013 2:31:29 PM UTC+1, charles wrote:

The bulb (tube) is held in by a strong spring at one end. Try a
sideways

movement which pushes the tube into the end cap. The other end of the
tube

should then be revealed. Then it should come out.

It doesn't seem to. there is a metal cap at both ends and as far as I can
see tow pins in each cap.

Jonathan

If it has two pins in each end you need to twist the tube by 90° - and then
it should come out.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 29, 2013 2:47:55 PM UTC+1, charles wrote:
In article ,

Jonathan wrote:

On Monday, July 29, 2013 2:31:29 PM UTC+1, charles wrote:

The bulb (tube) is held in by a strong spring at one end. Try a

sideways

movement which pushes the tube into the end cap. The other end of the

tube

should then be revealed. Then it should come out.

It doesn't seem to. there is a metal cap at both ends and as far as I can

see tow pins in each cap.

Jonathan

If it has two pins in each end you need to twist the tube by 90° - and then

it should come out.

But it doesn't because the end caps prevent it.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 06:14:34 -0700 (PDT), Jonathan
wrote:

I have a strip light in a cupboard. See (a bad picture):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/DSCF0002.JPG

That type - the cap slides off and then you can either twist the tube
90deg or spring-load it and pull it out, depending on what's there
under the cap. Iirc, it's a twist fitting under that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have a strip light in a cupboard. See (a bad picture):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/DSCF0002.JPG

That type - the cap slides off and then you can either twist the tube
90deg or spring-load it and pull it out, depending on what's there
under the cap. Iirc, it's a twist fitting under that.

Correction;
that's what I came across with that type, it doesn't mean yours is the
same, so don't go attacking it with gusto.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article
,
Jonathan wrote:
I have a strip light in a cupboard. See (a bad picture):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/DSCF0002.JPG

I cannot work out how to remove the bulb which has gone.
The plastic clips at the end are screwed to the central
portion from behind and I cannot get at the screws. The
don't appear to slide so I am now stuck.

Does anyone know how to do it?

Many thanks

Jonathan

I'd go with Adrian. Looks like a groove between the endcap
and main body.

Can you get a thin screwdriver in and lever the endcap off?

John M

--
John Mulrooney

No matter how early you arrive, someone else is in line first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 29/07/2013 20:43, JTM wrote:
In article
,
wrote:
I have a strip light in a cupboard. See (a bad picture):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/DSCF0002.JPG

I cannot work out how to remove the bulb which has gone.
The plastic clips at the end are screwed to the central
portion from behind and I cannot get at the screws. The
don't appear to slide so I am now stuck.

Does anyone know how to do it?

Many thanks

Jonathan

I'd go with Adrian. Looks like a groove between the endcap
and main body.

Can you get a thin screwdriver in and lever the endcap off?

John M

Is it possible that the complete unit slides on to a couple of screws
that then hold the unit in place. I seem to recall a similar problem in
my last house but damned if I can remember how I got the bulb out but it
had me flumixed for a couple of days, I have vague memories of twisting
the bulb but also sliding one end cap or maybe both.
Its maybe worth wearing a pair of gloves if twisting the bulb in case it
breaks on you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2013 14:14, Jonathan wrote:

I cannot work out how to remove the bulb which has gone. The plastic clips at the end are screwed to the central portion from behind and I cannot get at the screws. The don't appear to slide so I am now stuck.

Protective gloves, glasses and a mask to avoid inhaling the phosphor,
then break the tube. Pull the ends out and you will have access to the
fitting end pieces to see how it is constructed.

My bet is that they slide outwards, or should do, but are stuck.

Al.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have a strip light in a cupboard. See (a bad picture):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/DSCF0002.JPG

I cannot work out how to remove the bulb which has gone.
The plastic clips at the end are screwed to the central portion from
behind and I cannot get at the screws. The don't appear to slide so
I am now stuck.

Does anyone know how to do it?

Many thanks

Jonathan

I browsed on Google images and I think this is it:
http://www.alertelectrical.com/prod/...-with-diffuser
On this page it shows that the endcap is not just covering the tube,
it has a square part that looks like an extension of the base. The
whole moulding is called an End Cheek. I think you should grab the
base of the moulding and wrench it off.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

I have a strip light in a cupboard. See (a bad picture):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/DSCF0002.JPG

I cannot work out how to remove the bulb which has gone.
The plastic clips at the end are screwed to the central portion from
behind and I cannot get at the screws. The don't appear to slide so
I am now stuck.

Does anyone know how to do it?

Many thanks

Jonathan

I browsed on Google images and I think this is it:
http://www.alertelectrical.com/prod/...-with-diffuser
On this page it shows that the endcap is not just covering the tube,
it has a square part that looks like an extension of the base. The
whole moulding is called an End Cheek. I think you should grab the
base of the moulding and wrench it off.

There is always some who does things correctly:-) I would have followed some
of BigAl's advice. I would have just smashed the lamp.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan wrote:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/DSCF0002.JPG
I cannot work out how to remove the bulb which has gone.

That's a bulb? I have to see what your tulips look like.

JGH