Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default (OT) More censorship

Using the same dongle which blocked my attempt to learn about 'qat'
a.k.a. 'khat' from that den of iniquity called Wikipedia, I tried to
learn something about the ways in which one can improve one's privacy.

An obvious thing to do, when faced with snoops.

*That was also blocked*.

So we know for certain that while it might be half-true that 'if you
have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear' from snooping, the
government has much to hide and is fearful of whistle-blowers who try
to maintain their anonymity.

And if it becomes illegal for me to try to maintain a little privacy, I
will no longer be law-abiding; I'll be by definition a criminal.
(Unless of course I learn to tug my forelock at the right times.)

But Cameron, Blair, and co. will still be deemed to be law abiding, by
the laws they themselves pass and/or reinterpret.
No matter how much roadkill they leave in their wake.

The media who should be protecting us from government excesses are
usually only too quick to describe someone as a criminal, when they
might more truthfully just say 'was found guilty' (and might later be
proved innocent, which occasionally happens).

Sex is always a sure thing from the government point of view; when
fifty years ago a series of Oxbridge types were said to be (and
possibly even were) spies, it was always said that they were
homosexual, though it was also said that one at least had a wife in
Moscow.
The U.S. army is still playing that card in the case of Manning.

One of the oddest things was the reporting by the Express of the death
of the frogman Crabbe (IIRC), who it is now admitted was up to no good
when he was beheaded, maybe planting bombs on ships in harbour.
They made a great issue of the idea that he had a kinky love of wet
rubber. Were they afraid that other scuba divers might get ideas?

Things like the ECHR, which of course the gummint hates, may become the
only slight protection we have.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khat
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=im...online+privacy

So we know for certain that while it might be half-true that 'if you
have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear' from snooping, the
government has much to hide and is fearful of whistle-blowers who try to
maintain their anonymity.

Given that I'm using BT broadband, and had no difficulties in getting the
information you imply the government has blocked, I think it's safe to
say that either it's your ISP (Presumably, given the dongle reference,
Three?) or your utter incompetence that's leading you to such utter false
conclusions and paranoid conspiracy theories.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 29 July 2013 12:49:54 UTC+1, Windmill wrote:
Using the same dongle which blocked my attempt to learn about 'qat'

a.k.a. 'khat' from that den of iniquity called Wikipedia, I tried to

learn something about the ways in which one can improve one's privacy.

Why use the dongle ?

An obvious thing to do, when faced with snoops.

There was a discussion about that sort of thing in the podcats TWIT, this week in tech on and how to use the privacy that firefox and safari have built in.

Khat is hardly 'secrete' it's been all over the TV a couple of weeks ago

*That was also blocked*.

So we know for certain that while it might be half-true that 'if you

have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear' from snooping, the

government has much to hide and is fearful of whistle-blowers who try

to maintain their anonymity.

I had a student like that a while ago I kept saying well keep pushing the door and you won't get out, but if you read the instructions which says "pull", you will get out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday 29 July 2013 12:49 Windmill wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Using the same dongle which blocked my attempt to learn about 'qat'
a.k.a. 'khat' from that den of iniquity called Wikipedia, I tried to
learn something about the ways in which one can improve one's privacy.

An obvious thing to do, when faced with snoops.

*That was also blocked*.

Whilst it would not surprise me, can you provide your search terms, in the
interests of being scientific?

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2013 14:38, Tim Watts wrote:
On Monday 29 July 2013 12:49 Windmill wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Using the same dongle which blocked my attempt to learn about 'qat'
a.k.a. 'khat' from that den of iniquity called Wikipedia, I tried to
learn something about the ways in which one can improve one's privacy.

An obvious thing to do, when faced with snoops.

*That was also blocked*.

Whilst it would not surprise me, can you provide your search terms, in the
interests of being scientific?

It would surprise me as I haven't found any of the previous "blocked"
items to be blocked on my O2 smart phone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk writes:

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 12:16:50 +0000, Adrian wrote:

[...]

IAUI mobile internet dongles go through default-on filtering. You need to
contact the network to turn it off.

I know my employer has them off by default on all mobile equipment,
because as the network manager told the CEO when asked "they're ****ing
****e". They had an overload of support calls from sales and marketing
guys who couldn't access all manner of essential sites.

That I can readily believe. But with the Prime Minister (more an
Improper Fraction than a Prime IMHO) demanding censorship, there would
seem to be reason to worry that this might be only the thin end of the
wedge.

It's not as if politicians have integrity. They seem to check their
consciences at the entry door to Westminster and forget to retrieve
them on the way out.

Someone once described it as the 'committee effect'; people at least
some of whom love their wives and children will, once in a group,
cheerfully vote to disembowel the janitor and euthanase all
grandmothers over 90 years of age.

--
Windmill, Use m a i l
@ r m i l l