Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cuprionol fence paint on concrete?

We have concrete posts and wooden fence panels.

It would be nice to have the posts and panels the same colour.

Has anyone used fence paint on concrete posts with good results?

We have used Cuprinol Garden Shades on the panels.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday 26 July 2013 11:29 David.WE.Roberts wrote in uk.d-i-y:

We have concrete posts and wooden fence panels.

It would be nice to have the posts and panels the same colour.

Has anyone used fence paint on concrete posts with good results?

We have used Cuprinol Garden Shades on the panels.

Cheers

Dave R

I'm interested in the answer too

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2013 12:19, Tim Watts wrote:
On Friday 26 July 2013 11:29 David.WE.Roberts wrote in uk.d-i-y:

We have concrete posts and wooden fence panels.

It would be nice to have the posts and panels the same colour.

Has anyone used fence paint on concrete posts with good results?

We have used Cuprinol Garden Shades on the panels.

Cheers

Dave R

I'm interested in the answer too

I'd imagine the result would be disastrous unless you spilt some onto a
concrete path where it might bond spectacularly well just to be awkward.

Usually concrete requires a masonry paint designed to bind onto an
alkaline surface. Try it and see on a piece of scrap material. It might
work but my instinct is that it will fail to make a decent bond.

Incidentally does anyone have recommendations for an outdoor furniture
wood preserver that doesn't require redoing every year? Has to be safe
for use on picnic benches and to be user friendly for sitting on too.

The items in question include various picnic benches at the Village Hall
out in all weathers and the recent winters seem able to strip these new
fangled eco friendly finishes off with ease

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, July 26, 2013 12:41:46 PM UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Probably best to use an cement primer first to deal with the alkaline problem. But there might not be much depth of colour in the cuprinol if it's designed to let the grain show through.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 12:19:42 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On Friday 26 July 2013 11:29 David.WE.Roberts wrote in uk.d-i-y:

We have concrete posts and wooden fence panels.

It would be nice to have the posts and panels the same colour.

Has anyone used fence paint on concrete posts with good results?

We have used Cuprinol Garden Shades on the panels.

Cheers

Dave R

I'm interested in the answer too

We have decided to try a bit and see how it goes.

It is unlikely to look quite the same because of the different substrate,
but could be a better match than trying to mix the colour in masonry paint.

Will report back.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 04:45:09 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson wrote:

But there might not be much depth of colour in the cuprinol if it's
designed to let the grain show through.

Just repainted a gate with Gardenshades, the last painting was about
10 years ago and that had all worn off.

The new garden shades is not the same as the old. The new has no wood
preservative ingredient and is more of a film forming paint thing
than the old which was more a soak into the wood stain. Hence the
comment above about it wearing out rather than flaking/peeling off.

The grain shows through the new Gardenshades a bit but that is
probably more down to the grain be raised by age and weathering.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
On Friday 26 July 2013 11:29 David.WE.Roberts wrote in uk.d-i-y:

We have concrete posts and wooden fence panels.

It would be nice to have the posts and panels the same colour.

Has anyone used fence paint on concrete posts with good results?

We have used Cuprinol Garden Shades on the panels.

Cheers

Dave R

I'm interested in the answer too

Only because I sprayed the panels and it became easier to spray the
posts as well Not very successful really and over time it gradually
washes off.
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 20:47:07 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Its semi transparent and probably would not make it look a lot different
I'd say.

Hum, the Cuprinol Garden Shades "Black Ash" I've just used is pretty
opaque and film forming compared to the old Cuprinol Garden Shades
"Black Ash", that was more like a stain.

The new only contains terbutyn an algicide the old stuff had three
chlorophenol type compounds for fungal and algae control. I guess the
compounds used in the old worked and have now been banned...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
We have concrete posts and wooden fence panels.
It would be nice to have the posts and panels the same colour.
Has anyone used fence paint on concrete posts with good results?
We have used Cuprinol Garden Shades on the panels.
Cheers
Dave R

How about finding some concrete-coloured wood paint for the panels? g
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2013 12:41, Martin Brown wrote:
On 26/07/2013 12:19, Tim Watts wrote:
On Friday 26 July 2013 11:29 David.WE.Roberts wrote in uk.d-i-y:

We have concrete posts and wooden fence panels.

It would be nice to have the posts and panels the same colour.

Has anyone used fence paint on concrete posts with good results?

We have used Cuprinol Garden Shades on the panels.

Cheers

Dave R

I'm interested in the answer too

I'd imagine the result would be disastrous unless you spilt some onto a
concrete path where it might bond spectacularly well just to be awkward.

Usually concrete requires a masonry paint designed to bind onto an
alkaline surface. Try it and see on a piece of scrap material. It might
work but my instinct is that it will fail to make a decent bond.

I set in concrete H posts & gravel boards ... and made my own fence panels.
I mixed up some 'test pots' of Sandtex smooth until I got a good match
to fence colour .... and painted posts with that ...
47 of them .... but that was well over 10 years ago and still looking
fine ... fence needs a re-coat this year.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to David.WE.Roberts , Leng wrote:
nospam wrote:

We have concrete posts and wooden fence panels.
It would be nice to have the posts and panels the same colour.
Has anyone used fence paint on concrete posts with good results?
We have used Cuprinol Garden Shades on the panels.
Cheers
Dave R

I have just used Curprinol Garden Shades (sage) on my fence, tried a bit
on the concrete post, the colour looks exactly same on the fence, it's
brilliant! the problem is how long it will last, as I read a message here,
a guy said his concrete looks good after 3 years. so I'm going to try.
I'll let all of you know when the paint starts to fade, if I can still
find this website.
Leng

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Martin Brown, jaiman123 wrote:
protek stains work extremely well on all outdoor furniture have a look at
there website and see for yourself www.protekproducts.co.uk I own a fence
painting company and I will only use protek thanks jai

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...te-910280-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ame Ame is offline

replying to Leng, Ame wrote:
Keep us updated! I'd love to know how it is now

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...te-910280-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Martin Brown, Gaz wrote:
Black magic

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...te-910280-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to David.WE.Roberts, Hawkeye wrote:
I used Ronseal Fencelife Sprayable on the fence panels and the concrete posts
and gravel boards, brushing it out after spraying. It looks pretty good,
better than grey, and lasts about 18 months before it needs a recoat. With a
sprayer and a brush it took me 3 hours to do all 20 panels and 2 x 4 litre
tins of Ronseal.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...te-910280-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ive done all mine and it looks beautiful the comments I get is amazing you can do anything with fence paint
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I did mine many years ago and its looks bloody lovely the comments I get are amazing abs its way cheaper than masonry paint shame I cant send you a pic
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, I'm sure you can.... (Humour him)

Brian

--