Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Petrol-proof washer

The 'can' for spare petrol (lawnmower - and neighbour's for her car) has a
washer in the cap but not in the long nozzle. Of course, the petrol dribbles
out which, with a hot motor on a hot day...
I have some washers that fit (Aldidl kit) but they shrink and deform after a
few weeks. They're about 39 mm (1.5") OD and 30 mm ID.
I've tried Halfwits (I was up that way, OK?) and don't know where else to
go. Looking at such cans in Wickes showed that even new ones don't have
washers!
Any pointers please?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message

The 'can' for spare petrol (lawnmower - and neighbour's for her car) has a
washer in the cap but not in the long nozzle. Of course, the petrol
dribbles
out which, with a hot motor on a hot day...
I have some washers that fit (Aldidl kit) but they shrink and deform after
few weeks. They're about 39 mm (1.5") OD and 30 mm ID.
I've tried Halfwits (I was up that way, OK?) and don't know where else to
go. Looking at such cans in Wickes showed that even new ones don't have
washers!
Any pointers please?

Buy a new can which doesn't leak? They're only a few quid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2013 11:47, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"PeterC" wrote in message

The 'can' for spare petrol (lawnmower - and neighbour's for her car)
has a
washer in the cap but not in the long nozzle. Of course, the petrol
dribbles
out which, with a hot motor on a hot day...
I have some washers that fit (Aldidl kit) but they shrink and deform
after a
few weeks. They're about 39 mm (1.5") OD and 30 mm ID.
I've tried Halfwits (I was up that way, OK?) and don't know where else to
go. Looking at such cans in Wickes showed that even new ones don't have
washers!
Any pointers please?

Buy a new can which doesn't leak? They're only a few quid.

Probably because it is the cheapest type of rubber (SBR). Get Nitrile
rubber sheet from eBay, cut a new one. Of course in hot weather the can
is going to pressurise itself, so it may not seal if the washer is below
the level of the liquid.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/13 11:25, PeterC wrote:
The 'can' for spare petrol (lawnmower - and neighbour's for her car) has a
washer in the cap but not in the long nozzle. Of course, the petrol dribbles
out which, with a hot motor on a hot day...
I have some washers that fit (Aldidl kit) but they shrink and deform after a
few weeks. They're about 39 mm (1.5") OD and 30 mm ID.
I've tried Halfwits (I was up that way, OK?) and don't know where else to
go. Looking at such cans in Wickes showed that even new ones don't have
washers!
Any pointers please?

try making one out of silicone sealer.
apply a bead around the nozzle top, and then screw it down and leave it.
wIth luck the nozzle will unscrew.

Or better still, buy a funnel and throw the bloody nozzle away. They are
as you have discovered almost useless.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 11:47:49 +0100, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"PeterC" wrote in message

The 'can' for spare petrol (lawnmower - and neighbour's for her car) has a
washer in the cap but not in the long nozzle. Of course, the petrol
dribbles
out which, with a hot motor on a hot day...
I have some washers that fit (Aldidl kit) but they shrink and deform after
few weeks. They're about 39 mm (1.5") OD and 30 mm ID.
I've tried Halfwits (I was up that way, OK?) and don't know where else to
go. Looking at such cans in Wickes showed that even new ones don't have
washers!
Any pointers please?

Buy a new can which doesn't leak? They're only a few quid.

The can's OK as is the cap. As new cans will have the same problem it seems
pointless repeating the process.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message

[...]

Ah, thanks - it was nitrile that I couldn't remember. I'd guessed that the
washer was butyl.
If the washer is below the liquid, it means that the can isn't upright. With
the nozzle on, the can's not pressurised.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 13:15:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 25/07/13 11:25, PeterC wrote:
The 'can' for spare petrol (lawnmower - and neighbour's for her car) has a
washer in the cap but not in the long nozzle. Of course, the petrol dribbles
out which, with a hot motor on a hot day...
I have some washers that fit (Aldidl kit) but they shrink and deform after a
few weeks. They're about 39 mm (1.5") OD and 30 mm ID.
I've tried Halfwits (I was up that way, OK?) and don't know where else to
go. Looking at such cans in Wickes showed that even new ones don't have
washers!
Any pointers please?

try making one out of silicone sealer.
apply a bead around the nozzle top, and then screw it down and leave it.
wIth luck the nozzle will unscrew.

OK, I'll give it a go.

Or better still, buy a funnel and throw the bloody nozzle away. They are
as you have discovered almost useless.

The nozzle actually works very well and means less stuff to lose, as it fits
around the can when not in use.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 11:25:19 +0100, PeterC wrote:

The 'can' for spare petrol (lawnmower - and neighbour's for her car) has
a washer in the cap but not in the long nozzle. Of course, the petrol
dribbles out which, with a hot motor on a hot day...

Will just harmlessly evaporate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:
The 'can' for spare petrol (lawnmower - and neighbour's for her car) has a
washer in the cap but not in the long nozzle. Of course, the petrol dribbles
out which, with a hot motor on a hot day...

Um, surely you've got the cap on when it's not in use? You'd only you the
nozzle outside the car. Minor dribbles will evaporate away outside quickly
enough. Or have I not understood the problem?

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
The 'can' for spare petrol (lawnmower - and neighbour's for her car) has
a washer in the cap but not in the long nozzle. Of course, the petrol
dribbles out which, with a hot motor on a hot day... I have some washers
that fit (Aldidl kit) but they shrink and deform after a few weeks.
They're about 39 mm (1.5") OD and 30 mm ID. I've tried Halfwits (I was
up that way, OK?) and don't know where else to go. Looking at such cans
in Wickes showed that even new ones don't have washers! Any pointers
please?

Before synthetics, those brown/red fibre washers seemed to be used on car
carburettors.

--
*'Progress' and 'Change' are not synonyms.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

try making one out of silicone sealer.

Silicone sealer falls apart when petrol touches it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 14:14:52 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

try making one out of silicone sealer.
apply a bead around the nozzle top, and then screw it down and leave it.
wIth luck the nozzle will unscrew.

OK, I'll give it a go.

Don't waste your time.
TNP issues such advice and has no fecking clue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

try making one out of silicone sealer.
apply a bead around the nozzle top, and then screw it down and leave it.
wIth luck the nozzle will unscrew.

OK, I'll give it a go.

Don't waste your time.
TNP issues such advice and has no fecking clue.

I said try.

I have never seen silicone fail on contact with petrol

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

try making one out of silicone sealer.

Silicone sealer falls apart when petrol touches it.

That's not my experience. What sealant did you use?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 16:52:25 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Before synthetics, those brown/red fibre washers seemed to be used on
car carburettors.

And to just seal the nozzle for pouring a bit of thin, solid,
cardboard may well do.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 15:07:55 +0100, Tim+ wrote:

PeterC wrote:
The 'can' for spare petrol (lawnmower - and neighbour's for her car) has a
washer in the cap but not in the long nozzle. Of course, the petrol dribbles
out which, with a hot motor on a hot day...

Um, surely you've got the cap on when it's not in use? You'd only you the
nozzle outside the car. Minor dribbles will evaporate away outside quickly
enough. Or have I not understood the problem?

Tim

Yes, of course. The whole point of this is that the nozzle dribbles around
the thread when filling mower or car. The petrol seems quite good at killing
grass (perhaps would be better with vinegar/salt in it) and moving off the
grass almost always means being close to buildings.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:
The 'can' for spare petrol (lawnmower - and neighbour's for her car) has
a washer in the cap but not in the long nozzle. Of course, the petrol
dribbles out which, with a hot motor on a hot day... I have some washers
that fit (Aldidl kit) but they shrink and deform after a few weeks.
They're about 39 mm (1.5") OD and 30 mm ID. I've tried Halfwits (I was
up that way, OK?) and don't know where else to go. Looking at such cans
in Wickes showed that even new ones don't have washers! Any pointers
please?

Before synthetics, those brown/red fibre washers seemed to be used on car
carburettors.

Too hard for plastic threads - useless on shower hoses as well.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
Before synthetics, those brown/red fibre washers seemed to be used on
car carburettors.

Too hard for plastic threads - useless on shower hoses as well.

If the plastic is that soft it should deform enough to provide its own
seal. Have you checked for moulding ridges etc which if removed would
allow this?

--
*Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 18:07:52 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

I have never seen silicone fail on contact with petrol

I have; more than once.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

try making one out of silicone sealer.

Silicone sealer falls apart when petrol touches it.

That's not my experience. What sealant did you use?

Automotive gasket silicone, not some bathroom stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

try making one out of silicone sealer.
apply a bead around the nozzle top, and then screw it down and leave it.
wIth luck the nozzle will unscrew.

OK, I'll give it a go.

Don't waste your time.
TNP issues such advice and has no fecking clue.

Petrol eats silicone, don't use silicone any where near petrol
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

try making one out of silicone sealer.
apply a bead around the nozzle top, and then screw it down and leave it.
wIth luck the nozzle will unscrew.

OK, I'll give it a go.

Don't waste your time.
TNP issues such advice and has no fecking clue.

Petrol eats silicone, don't use silicone any where near petrol

The cans in Wickes had white seals in the caps, but I don't know what it
was.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 17:40:20 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
Before synthetics, those brown/red fibre washers seemed to be used on
car carburettors.

Too hard for plastic threads - useless on shower hoses as well.

If the plastic is that soft it should deform enough to provide its own
seal. Have you checked for moulding ridges etc which if removed would
allow this?

Shower hose plastic is not soft but to get a fibre washer to seal would
probably strip the thread or split the fitting, which I can easily do by
hand.
The mouldings seem to be smooth enough. I also have to consider that my
neighbour uses these cans and her grip is about average for a woman - firm
but not hard enough to hurt too much (I guess).
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

try making one out of silicone sealer.

Silicone sealer falls apart when petrol touches it.

That's not my experience. What sealant did you use?

Automotive gasket silicone, not some bathroom stuff.

That's it - green Hermatite!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

try making one out of silicone sealer.
apply a bead around the nozzle top, and then screw it down and leave it.
wIth luck the nozzle will unscrew.

OK, I'll give it a go.

Don't waste your time.
TNP issues such advice and has no fecking clue.

Petrol eats silicone, don't use silicone any where near petrol

The cans in Wickes had white seals in the caps, but I don't know what it
was.

Baby Harp seals?

--
Rod

Petrol cap sealing washer robgraham UK diy 12 May 23rd 13 12:43 AM
Proof, if proof were needed.... The Medway Handyman UK diy 11 July 4th 08 11:53 PM
Petrol Pressure Washer Mark X UK diy 6 April 15th 08 12:09 AM
kid-proof, dog-proof, dirt-proof paint K UK diy 18 March 7th 08 05:37 PM
Anyone Interested in a Petrol Pressure Washer? [email protected] UK diy 1 November 8th 06 03:38 PM