Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler Commissioning Certificate

Could any esteemed member of this group give me an accurate answer to
this question, please.

We recently had an extension built. Part of the work carried out was to
move our existing boiler to a new location, this also meant fitting a
new gas supply.

The man from building control told me that we needed a certificate from
the heating engineers. The heating engineers say we don't as it is an
existing boiler that has only moved.

Who is right?

My vote is for the building control guys.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance, Dan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 12:07:05 +0100, danw
wrote:
Could any esteemed member of this group give me an accurate answer

this question, please.

We recently had an extension built. Part of the work carried out

was to
move our existing boiler to a new location, this also meant fitting

new gas supply.

The man from building control told me that we needed a certificate

from
the heating engineers. The heating engineers say we don't as it is

an
existing boiler that has only moved.

Who is right?

My vote is for the building control guys.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance, Dan

Don't know for sure but I suspect that you're right. I'm petty sure,
for example, that you're not officially allowed to move an old
inefficient boiler because it counts as a re-install, and has to meet
the latest regs.

(This my first attempt at posting from Android tablet, using
Groundhog - so fingers crossed!

Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2013 12:07, danw wrote:
Could any esteemed member of this group give me an accurate answer to
this question, please.

We recently had an extension built. Part of the work carried out was to
move our existing boiler to a new location, this also meant fitting a
new gas supply.

The man from building control told me that we needed a certificate from
the heating engineers. The heating engineers say we don't as it is an
existing boiler that has only moved.

Who is right?

My vote is for the building control guys.

Thoughts?

My understanding is that moving a boiler counts the same as installing
it from scratch. Hence it would need the installer (assuming its not
you) to provide notification to the LABC via Gas Safe. The boiler would
also need to meet current standards for minimum efficiency etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2013 12:26, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Apart from the double sig sep, looks fine here...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

danw wrote:
Could any esteemed member of this group give me an accurate answer to
this question, please.

We recently had an extension built. Part of the work carried out was
to move our existing boiler to a new location, this also meant
fitting a new gas supply.

The man from building control told me that we needed a certificate
from the heating engineers. The heating engineers say we don't as it
is an existing boiler that has only moved.

Who is right?

My vote is for the building control guys.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance, Dan

You need a cert.
I've just worked on an extension where the existing flue would have been
inside the extension and so need re-routing, as did the condensate and
blow-off pipes, we had to provide a gas safe cert for it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2013 13:21, John Rumm wrote:
On 23/07/2013 12:26, Roger Mills wrote:

(This my first attempt at posting from Android tablet, using Groundhog -
so fingers crossed!

Apart from the double sig sep, looks fine here...

Thanks. yes, I noticed that. I presume that Groundhog must insert a "--
" so that I don't need to.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2013 12:07, danw wrote:
Could any esteemed member of this group give me an accurate answer to
this question, please.

We recently had an extension built. Part of the work carried out was to
move our existing boiler to a new location, this also meant fitting a
new gas supply.

The man from building control told me that we needed a certificate from
the heating engineers. The heating engineers say we don't as it is an
existing boiler that has only moved.

Who is right?

My vote is for the building control guys.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance, Dan

Thanks for your help everyone. Much appreciated.

Dan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2013 12:07, danw wrote:
Could any esteemed member of this group give me an accurate answer to
this question, please.

We recently had an extension built. Part of the work carried out was to
move our existing boiler to a new location, this also meant fitting a
new gas supply.

The man from building control told me that we needed a certificate from
the heating engineers. The heating engineers say we don't as it is an
existing boiler that has only moved.

The BCO is correct. In any case he is the one who can cause you grief if
you don't!

--
Peter Crosland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

The regs mention "replacement" boiler and so while BCO interference may
be required in some aspects of installation, I don't see a rule to
stipulate a "new" boiler, that isn't a replacement boiler?

De-commissioning back-boilers? Adam Aglionby UK diy 0 January 20th 10 07:59 PM
Building Regs Compliance Certificate for new boiler TheScullster UK diy 5 January 6th 10 02:20 PM
new oil CH boilers - manufacturer commissioning? jim UK diy 2 November 16th 08 08:04 PM
Boiler Certificate David UK diy 11 July 18th 05 06:59 PM
Commissioning a ring circuit David W.E. Roberts UK diy 35 November 4th 03 10:52 PM