Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default setting up Microsoft Office 365

On 15/07/2013 22:12 Brian Gaff wrote:

Bloody hell, somebody actually bought this crap!

grin.

Brian

Care to explain its crappiness?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
On 15/07/2013 22:12 Brian Gaff wrote:

Bloody hell, somebody actually bought this crap!

grin.

Brian

Care to explain its crappiness?

Should we start with its reputed requirement for an "always there"
internet connection, then with the fact that it's a subscription based
service, so if you forget a payment, you lose all your facilities, and
continuing with a lack of support for any non-Microsoft browser?

All this makes it totally useless to me, for a start.

Libre Office will do all that O365 will do, and is free, with free
unlimited updates to the software. Paid for support is available, but
not essential. You can even store your data in The Cloud while using it,
if that's what rocks your boat.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2013 09:28 John Williamson wrote:

F wrote:
On 15/07/2013 22:12 Brian Gaff wrote:

Bloody hell, somebody actually bought this crap!

grin.

Brian

Care to explain its crappiness?

Should we start with its reputed requirement for an "always there"
internet connection, then with the fact that it's a subscription based
service, so if you forget a payment, you lose all your facilities, and
continuing with a lack of support for any non-Microsoft browser?

All this makes it totally useless to me, for a start.

Libre Office will do all that O365 will do, and is free, with free
unlimited updates to the software. Paid for support is available, but
not essential. You can even store your data in The Cloud while using it,
if that's what rocks your boat.

Which just goes to show that you, like others, have jumped in with both
feet and made assumptions on what is being used, why it's being used and
how it's being used, that are wholly false.

If you can't answer the question why, like the three respondents to
date, does anyone bother with a totally unhelpful post? That someone
wouldn't use the package in question is fine. That it's being used in
particular circumstances for a particular reason isn't 'wrong'.

uk.d-i-y used to be a font of knowledge. Now that is being diluted by
posts which are simply abusive, dismissive or looking for an argument.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
[...]

I replied to your question "Care to explain its crappiness?" while
referring to MS Office 365. I replied with my opinions as to what makes
it crap, and offered a free alternative. Another free and cloud-based
alternative is Google's Chrome offering. What is your problem with
these? Do you, perhaps, work for Microsoft or one of its resellers?

I will admit to an error in my post, though. O365 does allegedly support
some non-MS browsers, although they have to be the latest versions
according to the website, and I'd like to see how that support is broken
in the latest version of Firefox which is was issued a couple of days
ago, as MS have a bad habit of using undocumented features in their
programs.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2013 11:17 John Williamson wrote:

Another free and cloud-based
alternative is Google's Chrome offering. What is your problem with
these? Do you, perhaps, work for Microsoft or one of its resellers?

I have no connection with Microsoft other than that of a user. We are
only using the email synchronisation subset of the 365 offering. My
original query was nothing to do with using a cloud-based version of Office.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , F
news@nowhere.? writes

uk.d-i-y used to be a font of knowledge.

It's a font of knowledge for matters relating to DIY but has **** all
to do with a crappy software package being flogged by a company
desperate to wring every last dollar out of its cash cow.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/13 09:21, F wrote:
On 15/07/2013 22:12 Brian Gaff wrote:

Bloody hell, somebody actually bought this crap!

grin.

Brian

Care to explain its crappiness?

The ways of Microsoft Office are beyond the understanding of mortal man.

It's crappiness remains inexplicable to the most talented philosophers
and sages.

It is perhaps, according to one theory, like a basically decent
vegetable garden, infested and overrun by that most deadly of weeds,
creeping featurism. It looks bursting with life, but as far as actual
potato content goes, its hard to find them anymore.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John Williamson
scribeth thus
F wrote:
On 15/07/2013 22:12 Brian Gaff wrote:

Bloody hell, somebody actually bought this crap!

grin.

Brian

Care to explain its crappiness?

Should we start with its reputed requirement for an "always there"
internet connection, then with the fact that it's a subscription based
service, so if you forget a payment, you lose all your facilities, and
continuing with a lack of support for any non-Microsoft browser?

All this makes it totally useless to me, for a start.

Libre Office will do all that O365 will do, and is free, with free
unlimited updates to the software. Paid for support is available, but
not essential. You can even store your data in The Cloud while using it,
if that's what rocks your boat.

SWMBO has been using this for around a year now with no complaints!.

Seems its rather more compatible with MS office products than Libre
office and Open office..

Theres is a useful free as well as paid for version which isn't that
expensive at all...

http://www.kingsoftstore.co.uk/
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , F
news@nowhere.? scribeth thus

F wrote:
[...]

Blimey!, Where have you been;?.

Newsnet is the biggest open wrestling ring around;!...

It shows up human nature better than anywhere else...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F scribbled...

On 16/07/2013 11:17 John Williamson wrote:

Another free and cloud-based
alternative is Google's Chrome offering. What is your problem with
these? Do you, perhaps, work for Microsoft or one of its resellers?

I have no connection with Microsoft other than that of a user. We are
only using the email synchronisation subset of the 365 offering. My
original query was nothing to do with using a cloud-based version of Office.

Like wot Thunderbird can do ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Williamson wrote:

Should we start with its reputed requirement for an "always there"
internet connection,

Some parts of it, yes. But then that's a lot easier to maintain than running
you own services. 3 quid per person a month for a small business to have
exchange services? Pretty good value IMO (as much as I hate the idea).

Less than a tenner a month per user for the lot including sharepoint
(sky drive pro). That's think clients as well so no need for a connection.

then with the fact that it's a subscription based service, so if you
forget a payment, you lose all your facilities, and

Basic email is on O365 now and is free. Outlook.com.

continuing with a lack of support for any non-Microsoft browser?

Rubbish. Since O365 launched the cross browser support is better than
pretty much any other complex web app.

All this makes it totally useless to me, for a start.

I suspect you are not the target market then

Libre Office will do all that O365 will do, and is free, with free

No it won't. It's limited use if you have to interact with complex
MS documents (which if you like it or not, are pretty standard).

It doesn't touch the online services that O365 offer. What is it's
sharepoint equivelent?

Office 365 is much more than a copy of word and outlook webaccess.

As much as I hate admitting it, it's pretty impressive.

Darren - currently hosting over 65000 accounts in O365

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2013-07-16, D.M.Chapman wrote:

Darren - currently hosting over 65000 accounts in O365

Cheers.

It's working well at the moment. Not perfect, but certainly worth what we
pay for it...

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2013 12:47 tony sayer wrote:

F wrote:

uk.d-i-y used to be a font of knowledge. Now that is being diluted by
posts which are simply abusive, dismissive or looking for an argument.

Blimey!, Where have you been;?.

In here (and elsewhere) for quite a few years.

Newsnet is the biggest open wrestling ring around;!...

But uk.d-i-y used to be much better than that: you could ask a question
and get a civilised and considered response without anyone needing to
exercise their ego.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2013 19:11 D.M.Chapman wrote:

In article ,
John Williamson wrote:

Should we start with its reputed requirement for an "always there"
internet connection,

Some parts of it, yes. But then that's a lot easier to maintain than running
you own services. 3 quid per person a month for a small business to have
exchange services? Pretty good value IMO (as much as I hate the idea).

Which is what we're using it for.

All this makes it totally useless to me, for a start.

I suspect you are not the target market then

He clearly isn't, but he's used his situation and applied it to my
original query without any understanding of why I might want to use it.

Libre Office will do all that O365 will do, and is free, with free

No it won't. It's limited use if you have to interact with complex
MS documents (which if you like it or not, are pretty standard).

It doesn't touch the online services that O365 offer. What is it's
sharepoint equivelent?

Office 365 is much more than a copy of word and outlook webaccess.

And it's the 'more than' that we're using and were asking for help for.
Unfortunately there were a number of distinctly unhelpful responses
based on some faulty assumptions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 09:13:06 +0100, F wrote:

And it's the 'more than' that we're using and were asking for help for.

IIRC it was a very specific question relating to problems when moving
a domain registrar. No other information about the scale of the
operation.

Unfortunately there were a number of distinctly unhelpful responses
based on some faulty assumptions.

People only make assumptions when not given enough information. Most
people in here are individuals or self-employed with one or two small
business's. Already hosting 65,000 accounts doesn't really fit that
demographic or the Subject:

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Unfortunately there were a number of distinctly unhelpful responses
based on some faulty assumptions.

People only make assumptions when not given enough information. Most
people in here are individuals or self-employed with one or two small
business's. Already hosting 65,000 accounts doesn't really fit that
demographic or the Subject:

Indeed, hence why I didn't respond initially :-)

I just felt I needed to point out that Office 365 is not directly comparable
to the older Office releases. MS appear to be causing much confusion with
their branding!

Office365 != Openoffice (unless you want it to be :-))

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/13 10:16, D.M.Chapman wrote:
In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Unfortunately there were a number of distinctly unhelpful responses
based on some faulty assumptions.

People only make assumptions when not given enough information. Most
people in here are individuals or self-employed with one or two small
business's. Already hosting 65,000 accounts doesn't really fit that
demographic or the Subject:

Indeed, hence why I didn't respond initially :-)

I just felt I needed to point out that Office 365 is not directly comparable
to the older Office releases. MS appear to be causing much confusion with
their branding!

Office365 != Openoffice (unless you want it to be :-))

Darren

And now libre office is accelerating away from Open Office.

Teh latest article I read n in in El Reg, suggests it will become its
own self in a year or two, not a 'fork' of open office. They are
apparently rewriting huge legacy chunks and throwing away the bits that
never worked that well, to get it leaner and faster.

Unless 100% interoperability with Micro****e is needed, I wouldn't use
anything but...Libre Office.

Its still quirky, JUST like Office was, but its very usable.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2013 09:44 Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 09:13:06 +0100, F wrote:

And it's the 'more than' that we're using and were asking for help for.

IIRC it was a very specific question relating to problems when moving
a domain registrar. No other information about the scale of the
operation.

It was quite specific and scale wasn't relevant. So if someone doesn't
have the answer, why bother responding?

Unfortunately there were a number of distinctly unhelpful responses
based on some faulty assumptions.

People only make assumptions when not given enough information.

Comments like...

'Bloody hell, somebody actually bought this crap!'

'Should we start with its reputed requirement for an "always there"
internet connection, then with the fact that it's a subscription based
service, so if you forget a payment, you lose all your facilities, and
continuing with a lack of support for any non-Microsoft browser?

All this makes it totally useless to me, for a start'

'Program manager

Add/remove programs'

....were totally unconnected with the amount of information given,
absolutely nothing to do with finding a solution to the question and
were just knee-jerk smart arse responses.

Ever heard the adage 'if you've got nothing pleasant to say, then say
nothing'?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
Ever heard the adage 'if you've got nothing pleasant to say, then say
nothing'?

Says the person hiding behind a pseudonym.....

Not all replies were to your original question, some were to your
explain its crappiness?".

You could, of course, have asked your question in a relevant newsgroup
or on one of the Microsoft forums if you were seeking relevant answers.

Asking detailed specific technical questions about Microsoft products in
a newsgroup generally devoted to do-it-yourself round the home possibly
wasn't the smartest move, was it?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 11:47:51 AM UTC+1, John Williamson wrote:
F wrote:

Ever heard the adage 'if you've got nothing pleasant to say, then say

nothing'?

Says the person hiding behind a pseudonym.....

Not all replies were to your original question, some were to your

explain its crappiness?".

You could, of course, have asked your question in a relevant newsgroup

or on one of the Microsoft forums if you were seeking relevant answers.

Asking detailed specific technical questions about Microsoft products in

a newsgroup generally devoted to do-it-yourself round the home possibly

wasn't the smartest move, was it?

cheap & anonymous tho......

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
Asking detailed specific technical questions about Microsoft products in

a newsgroup generally devoted to do-it-yourself round the home possibly

wasn't the smartest move, was it?

cheap & anonymous tho......

Maybe his boss thinks he's good at his job and knows stuff. ;-)

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2013 11:47 John Williamson wrote:

Asking detailed specific technical questions about Microsoft products in
a newsgroup generally devoted to do-it-yourself round the home possibly
wasn't the smartest move, was it?

Read the rest of the newsgroup. There's plenty of computer and computer
configuration questions and answers over time: it's not all angle
grinders and WD40. Oh, and I'm doing the installation myself - DIY...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2013 12:50 John Williamson wrote:

Maybe his boss thinks he's good at his job and knows stuff. ;-)

You know I'm not the boss?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 11:39:39 +0100, F wrote:

Ever heard the adage 'if you've got nothing pleasant to say, then say
nothing'?

Pot kettle black.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2013 13:41 Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 11:39:39 +0100, F wrote:

Ever heard the adage 'if you've got nothing pleasant to say, then say
nothing'?

Pot kettle black.

Read back and you'll see just how wrong you are.

I posted a perfectly reasonable and polite request for help. The
were the kind that wouldn't be made face-to-face.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
On 17/07/2013 12:50 John Williamson wrote:

Maybe his boss thinks he's good at his job and knows stuff. ;-)

You know I'm not the boss?

If you are the boss, be glad that I don't work for you.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2013 14:00 John Williamson wrote:

F wrote:
On 17/07/2013 12:50 John Williamson wrote:

Maybe his boss thinks he's good at his job and knows stuff. ;-)

You know I'm not the boss?

If you are the boss, be glad that I don't work for you.

You've embarrassed yourself earlier through your initial response. Now
your just making it worse.

I have better things to do than to continue to waste time on this.

Oh, and the Office 365 setup is complete.