Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default kids in a dinghy in the sea safety question

"Mentalguy2k8" wrote in message
Let's say you're thinking of buying an inflatable dinghy to put 2 young
kids in the sea at the beach. What would be your recommended safety
equipment?

I'm thinking you must be crazy.
There are people/kids blown out to sea every year on this sort of thing.
Quite a few get killed/drowned.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2013 07:39, harryagain wrote:
"Mentalguy2k8" wrote in message
Let's say you're thinking of buying an inflatable dinghy to put 2 young
kids in the sea at the beach. What would be your recommended safety
equipment?

I'm thinking you must be crazy.
There are people/kids blown out to sea every year on this sort of thing.
Quite a few get killed/drowned.

Well, sadly they would be the ones whose parents hadn't done any form of
risk assessment as the OP is suggesting.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2013 07:39, harryagain wrote:
"Mentalguy2k8" wrote in message
Let's say you're thinking of buying an inflatable dinghy to put 2 young
kids in the sea at the beach. What would be your recommended safety
equipment?

I'm thinking you must be crazy.
There are people/kids blown out to sea every year on this sort of thing....

How many of those are tied to the shore?

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar scribbled...

On 16/07/2013 07:39, harryagain wrote:
"Mentalguy2k8" wrote in message
Let's say you're thinking of buying an inflatable dinghy to put 2 young
kids in the sea at the beach. What would be your recommended safety
equipment?

I'm thinking you must be crazy.
There are people/kids blown out to sea every year on this sort of thing....

How many of those are tied to the shore?

Colin Bignell

How many start off tied to the shore, before the kids complain they're
only 15 foot out and being knocked around by the waves or someone moans
about the rope getting in the way of their enjoyment of the beach.

The sea isn't the place to start arsing around with a dinghy, especially
when the OP displays a total lack of knowledge of them or the sea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 16 July 2013 09:25 Artic wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Nightjar scribbled...

On 16/07/2013 07:39, harryagain wrote:
"Mentalguy2k8" wrote in message
Let's say you're thinking of buying an inflatable dinghy to put 2
young kids in the sea at the beach. What would be your recommended
safety equipment?

I'm thinking you must be crazy.
There are people/kids blown out to sea every year on this sort of
thing....

How many of those are tied to the shore?

Colin Bignell

How many start off tied to the shore, before the kids complain they're
only 15 foot out and being knocked around by the waves or someone moans
about the rope getting in the way of their enjoyment of the beach.

The sea isn't the place to start arsing around with a dinghy, especially
when the OP displays a total lack of knowledge of them or the sea.

Facepalm

No one has any knowledge of anything until they research it or are shown it.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bod bod is offline

The sea isn't the place to start arsing around with a dinghy, especially
when the OP displays a total lack of knowledge of them or the sea.

Facepalm

No one has any knowledge of anything until they research it or are shown it.

I agree with the previous poster, the sea isn't the place to start.
Find a small lake/large pond and let them have some freedom and fun
without any rope tethered to them. As long as they're wearing
lifejackets, the worst that can happen is they capsize and end up
bobbing about in calm waters.

If the OP was worried by that, take 2 blow up dingies so that he
can paddle out to them in the other one (if necessary).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2013 09:25, Artic wrote:
Nightjar scribbled...

On 16/07/2013 07:39, harryagain wrote:
"Mentalguy2k8" wrote in message
Let's say you're thinking of buying an inflatable dinghy to put 2 young
kids in the sea at the beach. What would be your recommended safety
equipment?

I'm thinking you must be crazy.
There are people/kids blown out to sea every year on this sort of thing....

How many of those are tied to the shore?

Colin Bignell

How many start off tied to the shore, before the kids complain they're
only 15 foot out and being knocked around by the waves or someone moans
about the rope getting in the way of their enjoyment of the beach.

I could ask at the next RNLI Governors' meeting, but I don't recall
either featuring in the regular rescue reports.

The sea isn't the place to start arsing around with a dinghy,

Perfectly safe if you follow the RNLI guidelines - choose a lifeguarded
beach, stay in the patrolled area and leave the inflatable behind if the
sea is rough or the wind is strong.

especially
when the OP displays a total lack of knowledge of them or the sea.

Simply asking the questions he did shows that he is aware of the
dangers. My only concern about people unfamiliar with the sea is the
urge to try a rescue themselves, rather than getting the experts in.
People who do that all too often do end up in the rescue reports.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Nightjar wrote:
On 16/07/2013 09:25, Artic wrote:

The sea isn't the place to start arsing around with a dinghy,

Perfectly safe if you follow the RNLI guidelines - choose a lifeguarded
beach, stay in the patrolled area and leave the inflatable behind if the
sea is rough or the wind is strong.

Also not all sea is equal. When my sister and I were young, we messed
about in an inflatable dinghy in a sheltered inlet on the Adriatic
(but not during or after strong winds).
When we went to the Atlantic coast of France, we enjoyed swimming in
the surf, but didn't take the dinghy.

Also depends how good at swimming the children are. If we had been blown
out, we could have swum a mile back to land, not that we'd have left it
that long to try anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2013 10:37, Bod wrote:

The sea isn't the place to start arsing around with a dinghy, especially
when the OP displays a total lack of knowledge of them or the sea.

Facepalm

No one has any knowledge of anything until they research it or are
shown it.

I agree with the previous poster, the sea isn't the place to start.

I would say you need to make a decision taking into account the actual
place you are going to use the thing. Some coastal areas pose more risk
than others...

Find a small lake/large pond and let them have some freedom and fun
without any rope tethered to them. As long as they're wearing
lifejackets, the worst that can happen is they capsize and end up
bobbing about in calm waters.

Being realistic, its difficult to capsize an inflatable rowing boat
unless you are very close to the beach and a rolling wave can flip you
over (DAMHIK!)

Obviously if you move up a to a proper dingy with a sail, then its a
different matter.

If the OP was worried by that, take 2 blow up dingies so that he
can paddle out to them in the other one (if necessary).

In my case, growing up frequenting the beaches around Westcliff /
Chalkwell etc in the Thames estuary, tides did not really pose much risk
- when coming in, they pulled you to the right, and when going out they
took you to the left. So even if the current was strong enough to take
you somewhere you did not want to go in spite of rowing in the other
direction, you could always get back to shore - even if not the bit you
left from.

Wind was more of a problem than tides, but was generally coming inland
or again to the side. However if the wind was from shore to sea, then
one would need to take significantly more care.

As long as you are a decent swimmer, and don't paddle out further than
you can swim back, there ought not be too much risk. If for whatever
reason you can't row back, jump out and swim back.

(I used to like to paddle out to one of the deep water posts at the end
of the breakwaters, and tether the boat there - you could then go for a
swim, have a sunbathe etc and have your own clear bit of water without
being hemmed in by others ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts scribbled...

[...]

And a couple of children are ideal testers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar scribbled...

On 16/07/2013 09:25, Artic wrote:
Nightjar scribbled...

On 16/07/2013 07:39, harryagain wrote:
"Mentalguy2k8" wrote in message
Let's say you're thinking of buying an inflatable dinghy to put 2 young
kids in the sea at the beach. What would be your recommended safety
equipment?

I'm thinking you must be crazy.
There are people/kids blown out to sea every year on this sort of thing....

How many of those are tied to the shore?

Colin Bignell

How many start off tied to the shore, before the kids complain they're
only 15 foot out and being knocked around by the waves or someone moans
about the rope getting in the way of their enjoyment of the beach.

I could ask at the next RNLI Governors' meeting, but I don't recall
either featuring in the regular rescue reports.

You've not been looking very hard - these are all very recent

http://rnli.org/NewsCentre/Pages/Inf...ep-Ceredigion-
lifeguards-busy-over-the-weekend1.aspx

http://rnli.org/NewsCentre/Pages/Whi...t-launched-to-
dinghy.aspx

http://rnli.org/NewsCentre/Pages/Sho...eboat-rescues-
youngsters-in-inflatable-dinghy.aspx

http://rnli.org/NewsCentre/Pages/Sed...guards-rescue-
two-men-in-an-inflatable-boat.aspx

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...n_dinghy_dange
r_after_two_rescues_at_Redcar/

The sea isn't the place to start arsing around with a dinghy,

Perfectly safe if you follow the RNLI guidelines - choose a lifeguarded
beach, stay in the patrolled area and leave the inflatable behind if the
sea is rough or the wind is strong.

especially
when the OP displays a total lack of knowledge of them or the sea.

Simply asking the questions he did shows that he is aware of the
dangers. My only concern about people unfamiliar with the sea is the
urge to try a rescue themselves, rather than getting the experts in.
People who do that all too often do end up in the rescue reports.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2013 15:19, Artic wrote:
Nightjar scribbled...

[...]

Exactly where, in any of those, does it suggest they started off tied to
the shore? Indeed, the only mention I can see of anything like that is
in the last, where the RNLI specifically recommend tying a long strong
rope to an inflatable, to stop it being blown out to sea.

Colin Bignell