rutman

Default Question about kids ride on Power Wheels jeep

hello

Looking for parts for Power wheels and peg perego jeeps and vehicles
and any
info on altering them for more power better speed or battery life etc.

also, can i in theory use a standard heavy duty 12volts battery to
power this kids toy?

Ken Weitzel

rutman wrote:
hello

Looking for parts for Power wheels and peg perego jeeps and vehicles
and any
info on altering them for more power better speed or battery life etc.

also, can i in theory use a standard heavy duty 12volts battery to
power this kids toy?

Hi Rutman...

12 volts dc is 12 volts dc is.... so the *theoretical*
answer is yes.

Having said that, I hope you don't even consider it. Not for
a second!

Incredible current - and kids with metal toys, bracelets,
watch bands perhaps, rings perhaps, tinfoil, along with
insatiable curiousity adds up to bad bad problems.

And if that's not enough - acid, great weight, lead posts...

Don't do it - kids are worth waaaaay too much

Ken

rutman

thanks Ken for the input!

I was thinking of adding the car battery to extent a bit its power to
cut through the grass. since the jeep is already electric and runs on
a 12v battery, i thought that maybe adding a car battery wouldnt be a
big deal. the current battery is sealed and located in the hood
department under a fake plastic engine.

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 01:25:47 GMT, Ken Weitzel
wrote:

rutman wrote:
hello

Looking for parts for Power wheels and peg perego jeeps and vehicles
and any
info on altering them for more power better speed or battery life etc.

also, can i in theory use a standard heavy duty 12volts battery to
power this kids toy?

Hi Rutman...

12 volts dc is 12 volts dc is.... so the *theoretical*
answer is yes.

Having said that, I hope you don't even consider it. Not for
a second!

Incredible current - and kids with metal toys, bracelets,
watch bands perhaps, rings perhaps, tinfoil, along with
insatiable curiousity adds up to bad bad problems.

And if that's not enough - acid, great weight, lead posts...

Don't do it - kids are worth waaaaay too much

Ken

James Sweet

"rutman" wrote in message
thanks Ken for the input!

I was thinking of adding the car battery to extent a bit its power to
cut through the grass. since the jeep is already electric and runs on
a 12v battery, i thought that maybe adding a car battery wouldnt be a
big deal. the current battery is sealed and located in the hood
department under a fake plastic engine.

Don't use a car battery, use a sealed gel cell and fuse it, much safer.

Despite the contraindications a buddy of mine used to do this. He found
a way to get a car battery in those lil cars and they worked great !

His grandkids rode around the campgrounds three at a time and went over
bumps etc. that would normally stop these things.

Generally they seemed to have 12 guage wiring, so if you use that or
heavier and keep the wiring concealed the danger isn't that great. If
you look at the switches that control the thing they will be what burns
up, not the wires.

Things happen, but the cars we had didn't have doors or seatbelts so
even if it started smoking they could just hop off the thing.

The attitude was : You only live once. The kids had a blast, and yes
things did happen but nobody got hurt. After awhile of course switches
and motors and gearboxes needed to be changed, they broke of course.

If you do this, keep an eye on them, they may well be able to run each
other over etc., but even if they ride these things in their "stock"
form they should be supervised.

Always keep in mind the danger of fire, and if you live in dry country
be especially careful. If you start a forest fire you not only go to
jail, it's wrong. Do keep an eye on things.

As far as getting the parts, my buddy actually picked the garbage, as
did his friends. I normally don't, but for the kids I did pick one up
when I saw it. Almost always the problem was bad batteries. I know of
no other way to get the other parts, such as the wheel motors ets. We
just put the good parts in the best cars and got rid of the rest. Foot
pedals and reverse switches did not last long.

JURB

rutman

thanks for the great info!!!!

On 14 Apr 2005 11:50:17 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Dumb Silicon Power Cube Question Bridgeport 6F feed ATP* Metalworking 2 March 25th 05 12:01 AM
retrofitting an ATX psupply into a microATX psupply box - won't power dave Electronics Repair 0 March 23rd 05 03:23 PM
Another mains power in bathroom question Charles Middleton UK diy 6 September 1st 04 05:16 PM
Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM
Electrical question - vac with power take-off mike UK diy 8 January 31st 04 08:16 PM