Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Starting a car without a battery:

Timothy Murphy wrote:

I've forgotten the details of how this was supposed to work,
but I'm sure it would have been plausible.
I wonder if anyone has come across this idea,
and knows how it works or is supposed to work?

I suspect that Hoyle was attempting to force his students to think, rather
than spoon-feeding solutions. There's really no absolute need for a big
starter motor or huge current to start a car. A spark can be generated from
a torch battery and the car carries fuel.

As others have pointed out you can start engines without any battery using
a magneto and pull start or starter handle. In the past huge aircraft
engines were started with explosive starter cartridges.

It's therefore possible to conceive the idea of starting a car engine in a
similar manner - prime a cylinder with a fuel air mix, close the valves,
fire a spark and hopefully get just enough "oomph" to start the engine
moving. After that the engine should pick up as the other cylinders start
to fire.

No idea if this was what Hoyle had in mind.

--
€˘DarWin|
_/ _/