Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The possibilities.....

I've just realised that the porch outside the front door is inside the
house so the far end of the little bedroom is directly over it.

Now there must be something I can do with this.

Simple thing like putting access in the bedroom floor so I can install
stuff like a web cam to check out door knockers.

A water spray to discourage chuggers.

Chute for boiling oil/lead in case we are besieged.

Dumb waiter to take packages straight from the front door up to the office.

The possibilities are endless.

Including an escape hatch and folding ladder in case we lose the front
door key :-)

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2013 18:49, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I've just realised that the porch outside the front door is inside the
house so the far end of the little bedroom is directly over it.

Now there must be something I can do with this.

Simple thing like putting access in the bedroom floor so I can install
stuff like a web cam to check out door knockers.

Any sort of knockers for that matter.

A water spray to discourage chuggers.

Chute for boiling oil/lead in case we are besieged.

I would go for that for the chuggers. Add a portcullis for the siege.

Dumb waiter to take packages straight from the front door up to the office.

A bit posh. What is wrong with a bucket on a rope?.

The possibilities are endless.

Including an escape hatch and folding ladder in case we lose the front
door key :-)

or need a fire escape route.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Jul 2013 10:07:06 +0100, ARW wrote:

David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I've just realised that the porch outside the front door is inside the
house so the far end of the little bedroom is directly over it.

Now there must be something I can do with this.

Do you mean something like this when you say the porch is inside the
house?

http://goo.gl/maps/ooJ9x

If so, the best thing you can do is make sure that there is some
insulation under the floorboards above the porch.

Could be a mirror image of our 3 bed semi :-)

Insulation under floors is part of the schedule.

Just wondering what quirky things could be done with the inside/outside
situation.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 17:49:45 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

I've just realised that the porch outside the front door is inside the
house so the far end of the little bedroom is directly over it.

Now there must be something I can do with this.

Simple thing like putting access in the bedroom floor so I can install
stuff like a web cam to check out door knockers.

A water spray to discourage chuggers.

Chute for boiling oil/lead in case we are besieged.

Dumb waiter to take packages straight from the front door up to the
office.

The possibilities are endless.

Including an escape hatch and folding ladder in case we lose the front
door key :-)

Pair of switched 13 amp sockets in the porch ceiling for those tasteful
Christmas decorations?

Saves drilling brick.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I've just realised that the porch outside the front door is inside
the house so the far end of the little bedroom is directly over it.

Now there must be something I can do with this.

Do you mean something like this when you say the porch is inside the
house?

http://goo.gl/maps/ooJ9x

If so, the best thing you can do is make sure that there is some
insulation under the floorboards above the porch.

Could be a mirror image of our 3 bed semi :-)

Insulation under floors is part of the schedule.

Just wondering what quirky things could be done with the
inside/outside situation.

Most people add a new front door and make it part of the inside!

At my friends I added a flush mounted PIR and a light.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I've just realised that the porch outside the front door is inside
the house so the far end of the little bedroom is directly over it.

Now there must be something I can do with this.

Do you mean something like this when you say the porch is inside the
house?

http://goo.gl/maps/ooJ9x

If so, the best thing you can do is make sure that there is some
insulation under the floorboards above the porch.

Could be a mirror image of our 3 bed semi :-)

Insulation under floors is part of the schedule.

Just wondering what quirky things could be done with the inside/outside
situation.

Most people add a new front door and make it part of the inside!

At my friends I added a flush mounted PIR and a light.

We haven't (so far) decided that the cost of installing another door gives
enough benefit.

It would increase insulation and possibly security and give a (minimal)
extra indoor area but none of these benefits seem pressing.

Of course, we would also lose the chance to pour boiling oil on barbarian
invaders :-)

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David.WE.Roberts wrote:
[...]

A relative had a bungalow with an inset portch like that. His wife was
obviously very understanding.

He walled up the front of the porch. Extended the front path to the side
door, and remodelled to have a little hallway.

The porch area? It was now a small room with a door from the extended
living room. His radio shack.