Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RC Driveshaft.

Can anyone think of a way to repair this driveshaft off my sons Remote
control Off road buggy.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2pslftv&s=5

It is about 30mm in length.

It is used to connect the Driveshaft to the wheel, the wheel nut goes on
the threaded bit at the end. It seems to be made from mild steel.

I can only find a set of 2 replacement Driveshafts for £24, can't seem
to find just this part.
--
yendor
If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 17:45:56 +0100, yendor wrote:

Can anyone think of a way to repair this driveshaft off my sons Remote
control Off road buggy.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2pslftv&s=5

It is about 30mm in length.

It is used to connect the Driveshaft to the wheel, the wheel nut goes on
the threaded bit at the end. It seems to be made from mild steel.

I can only find a set of 2 replacement Driveshafts for £24, can't seem
to find just this part.

angle grinder
tig welder
lathe

If it's just for show then araldite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"yendor" wrote in message
Can anyone think of a way to repair this driveshaft off my sons Remote
control Off road buggy.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2pslftv&s=5

It is about 30mm in length.

It is used to connect the Driveshaft to the wheel, the wheel nut goes on
the threaded bit at the end. It seems to be made from mild steel.

I can only find a set of 2 replacement Driveshafts for £24, can't seem to
find just this part.
--
yendor
If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is.

If there is sufficient clearance you want a sleeve that will fit over the
shaft.
Glue it on with areldite. Main problem is lining it up so it doesn't wobble.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2013 17:45, yendor wrote:
Can anyone think of a way to repair this driveshaft off my sons Remote
control Off road buggy.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2pslftv&s=5

It is about 30mm in length.

It is used to connect the Driveshaft to the wheel, the wheel nut goes on
the threaded bit at the end. It seems to be made from mild steel.

You might get away with silver soldering / brazing it with a blowtorch.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2013 22:26, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/07/2013 17:45, yendor wrote:
Can anyone think of a way to repair this driveshaft off my sons Remote
control Off road buggy.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2pslftv&s=5

It is about 30mm in length.

It is used to connect the Driveshaft to the wheel, the wheel nut goes on
the threaded bit at the end. It seems to be made from mild steel.

You might get away with silver soldering / brazing it with a blowtorch.

It's not a very good design, it has failed at the obvious stress raiser.
Is there a pin through this hole? Even if not it looks as though
sleeving might be restricted by whatever is on the bit to the left of
the hole (the wheel?) I would have said araldite even with sleeving is a
non starter, the only real option would be, as John says, to machine a
reasonably close fitting sleeve and then silver solder. If you can sort
out a sleeve, you should be able to do this fairly easily with a small
gas torches like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stylish-Co...em3a 8195c7ad

or possibly even this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195mm-Buta...em5 64c235911.

Silver solder and suitable flux are readily available in small
quantities from eBay. Loads of "how to" stuff on the web.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

yendor formulated on Friday :
Can anyone think of a way to repair this driveshaft off my sons Remote
control Off road buggy.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2pslftv&s=5

It is about 30mm in length.

It is used to connect the Driveshaft to the wheel, the wheel nut goes on the
threaded bit at the end. It seems to be made from mild steel.

I can only find a set of 2 replacement Driveshafts for £24, can't seem to
find just this part.

I'm guessing the hole where it snapped, had a pin through it, which
located in the rear of the wheel to ensure the wheel truned with the
shaft. A rather poor, weak design.

I would suggest getting the two parts gas welded back together, so the
hole is filled, then turned in a lathe to restore the diameter.

I would also guess at the wheels being plastic?

Could you maybe redrill the peg hole so it appear on the outside of the
wheel, under the nut snd make a fresh slot in the plastic wheel to take
the pin?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield presented the following explanation :
[...]

Another way might be to have a slot mahcined into the side of the shaft
for what is called a Woodruff key, then cut a slot to match it in the
hole through the wheel.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Harry Bloomfield presented the following explanation :
Could you maybe redrill the peg hole so it appear on the outside of
the wheel, under the nut snd make a fresh slot in the plastic wheel to
take the pin?

Another way might be to have a slot mahcined into the side of the shaft
for what is called a Woodruff key, then cut a slot to match it in the
hole through the wheel.

It is, of course, possible that the weakness caused by the hole is to
protect a more expensive part elsewhere in the case of an overload.

In which case, the maker's replacment may make good financial sense in
the long run.

Just my 2 penn'orth.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2013 18:11, harryagain wrote:
"yendor" wrote in message
Can anyone think of a way to repair this driveshaft off my sons Remote
control Off road buggy.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2pslftv&s=5

It is about 30mm in length.

It is used to connect the Driveshaft to the wheel, the wheel nut goes on
the threaded bit at the end. It seems to be made from mild steel.

I can only find a set of 2 replacement Driveshafts for £24, can't seem to
find just this part.
--
yendor
If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is.

If there is sufficient clearance you want a sleeve that will fit over the
shaft.
Glue it on with areldite. Main problem is lining it up so it doesn't wobble.

Can't use a sleeve, as the shaft fits inside 2 small bearings. There is
a pin that goes through the hole and this slots into the back of the
wheel, this locks the wheel to the shaft,and acts as a sort of clutch
allowing the wheel to slip if required stopping damage to the motor gearing.

might try Super Glue, as having nothing to loose. If it breaks again,
will just have to buy the whole driveshaft and keep the rest for spares.

--
yendor
If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"yendor" wrote in message
[...]

no chance with glueing this. Buy the new set if you haven't a lathe.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Jul 2013 19:57:27 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

no chance with glueing this.

Agreed, if there's enough torque to break the metal glue doesn't
stand a chance. Brazing or welding might.

Buy the new set if you haven't a lathe.

Or find a local model makers club and some one with a lathe. But when
it comes to place on the shaft where the hole is leave pin diameter
disc on the shaft and file that disc into a pin afterwards. Radiused
corners where this pin meets the shaft will help strength as well.

--
Cheers
Dave.