Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Heavy duty cable clips?

I have an armoured cable running down the surface of wall from a secondary
consumer unit .
Cable is about 14mm-15mm diameter. At the moment it is not fixed and I want
to fix it straight and vertical
What clips/fixing brackets are available? I have in mind a screw/wallplug
type thing. The wall is hard render on hard brick and I don't think the nail
in sort would be any good.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday 12 July 2013 12:03 mark wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I have an armoured cable running down the surface of wall from a
secondary consumer unit .
Cable is about 14mm-15mm diameter. At the moment it is not fixed and I
want to fix it straight and vertical
What clips/fixing brackets are available? I have in mind a screw/wallplug
type thing. The wall is hard render on hard brick and I don't think the
nail in sort would be any good.

mark

Armoured cable (SWA) cleats:

http://www.tlc-
direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Cable_Clips_for_SWA/index.html

These will have less chance of buggering the cable than trying to bang
nailed clips in.

HTH

Tim

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Friday 12 July 2013 12:03 mark wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I have an armoured cable running down the surface of wall from a
secondary consumer unit .
Cable is about 14mm-15mm diameter. At the moment it is not fixed and I
want to fix it straight and vertical
What clips/fixing brackets are available? I have in mind a screw/wallplug
type thing. The wall is hard render on hard brick and I don't think the
nail in sort would be any good.

mark

Armoured cable (SWA) cleats:

http://www.tlc-
direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Cable_Clips_for_SWA/index.html

These will have less chance of buggering the cable than trying to bang
nailed clips in.

They look like the solution.
Are they screw fixed?

Thanks
mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2013 12:03, mark wrote:
I have an armoured cable running down the surface of wall from a secondary
consumer unit .
Cable is about 14mm-15mm diameter. At the moment it is not fixed and I want
to fix it straight and vertical
What clips/fixing brackets are available? I have in mind a screw/wallplug
type thing. The wall is hard render on hard brick and I don't think the nail
in sort would be any good.

mark

Wouldn't ordinary 15 mm pipe clips do the job in that case?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2013 13:18, mark wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Friday 12 July 2013 12:03 mark wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I have an armoured cable running down the surface of wall from a
secondary consumer unit .
Cable is about 14mm-15mm diameter. At the moment it is not fixed and I
want to fix it straight and vertical
What clips/fixing brackets are available? I have in mind a screw/wallplug
type thing. The wall is hard render on hard brick and I don't think the
nail in sort would be any good.

mark

Armoured cable (SWA) cleats:

http://www.tlc-
direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Cable_Clips_for_SWA/index.html

These will have less chance of buggering the cable than trying to bang
nailed clips in.

They look like the solution.
Are they screw fixed?

Screw or nail depending on what you are fixing to.

I have also found that with the SWA P clips (i.e. the ones that look
like normal cable clips on steroids), you ca drill a 5mm hole, slap in a
yellow plug, and then drive the nail into that when fixing to hard masonry.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday 12 July 2013 13:18 mark wrote in uk.d-i-y:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

Yes.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark used his keyboard to write :
I have an armoured cable running down the surface of wall from a secondary
consumer unit .
Cable is about 14mm-15mm diameter. At the moment it is not fixed and I want
to fix it straight and vertical
What clips/fixing brackets are available? I have in mind a screw/wallplug
type thing. The wall is hard render on hard brick and I don't think the nail
in sort would be any good.

mark

You can buy a black plastic clip like a thick C, which takes a long
woodscrew.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
I've also seen 'saddle' ones.

I suspect that the saddles are for conduit. However, they could do the
job.

Could be. They were used here by the LEB when they moved the meter from
the cellar to the top of the stairs, before I bought his house. So at
least 40 years ago. ;-)

--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2013 12:03, mark wrote:
I have an armoured cable running down the surface of wall from a secondary
consumer unit .
Cable is about 14mm-15mm diameter. At the moment it is not fixed and I want
to fix it straight and vertical
What clips/fixing brackets are available? I have in mind a screw/wallplug
type thing. The wall is hard render on hard brick and I don't think the nail
in sort would be any good.

mark

I use Tie Plugs with tiewraps

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CTCTP.html

--
yendor
If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2013 19:58, yendor wrote:
On 12/07/2013 12:03, mark wrote:
I have an armoured cable running down the surface of wall from a
secondary
consumer unit .
Cable is about 14mm-15mm diameter. At the moment it is not fixed and I
want
to fix it straight and vertical
What clips/fixing brackets are available? I have in mind a screw/wallplug
type thing. The wall is hard render on hard brick and I don't think
the nail
in sort would be any good.

mark

I use Tie Plugs with tiewraps

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CTCTP.html

I like the look of them, hadn't come across them before. More convenient
if you might have to release or move cables temporarily in the future,
or add another cable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2013 12:03, mark wrote:
I have an armoured cable running down the surface of wall from a
secondary
consumer unit .
Cable is about 14mm-15mm diameter. At the moment it is not fixed and I
want
to fix it straight and vertical
What clips/fixing brackets are available? I have in mind a
screw/wallplug
type thing. The wall is hard render on hard brick and I don't think
the nail
in sort would be any good.

mark

I use Tie Plugs with tiewraps

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CTCTP.html

I like the look of them, hadn't come across them before. More convenient
if you might have to release or move cables temporarily in the future,
or add another cable.

Even more convenient if they were not discontinued - at least by TLC. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , polygonum
writes
On 13/07/2013 22:48, newshound wrote:

I use Tie Plugs with tiewraps

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CTCTP.html

I like the look of them, hadn't come across them before. More convenient
if you might have to release or move cables temporarily in the future,
or add another cable.

Even more convenient if they were not discontinued - at least by TLC. :-)

I think they're a bit light for armour but I've used them for a bundle
of sat coax, toolstation do them too:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p40215

I found them tricky to use, even with the hole drilled only a tad
smaller than the fins they were difficult to fit, too tight to push in
so needed a good tap with a hammer with a good chance of damaging the
outer moulding. Ended up putting a big screwdriver through the cable tie
slot and hitting the screwdriver. I don't know if that's a flaw inherent
to all or whether it's just more cheap crap from TS. Next time I'll use
plugs and screw mount cable tie bases.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .