Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solar LED's

Bought a set of solar LED deck lights - with a remote photocell/battery
pack.

I want the photocell/battery pack on the shed roof to get max charging,
but the cable ain't not long enough.

Makers say "Unfortunately it is not possible to extend the length to the
solar lights, or add extension cables".

Why would that be?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 18:39:25 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Bought a set of solar LED deck lights - with a remote photocell/battery
pack.

I want the photocell/battery pack on the shed roof to get max charging,
but the cable ain't not long enough.

Makers say "Unfortunately it is not possible to extend the length to the
solar lights, or add extension cables".

Why would that be?

I would think...voltage drop. Just use very thick cable?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2013 19:02, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 18:39:25 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Bought a set of solar LED deck lights - with a remote photocell/battery
pack.

I want the photocell/battery pack on the shed roof to get max charging,
but the cable ain't not long enough.

Makers say "Unfortunately it is not possible to extend the length to the
solar lights, or add extension cables".

Why would that be?

I would think...voltage drop. Just use very thick cable?

Could it be they don't trust customers to make the joins weatherproof?
Easier to say your customers that you can't than "you are an idiot who
wouldn't do it properly"! :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
On 11/07/2013 19:02, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 18:39:25 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Bought a set of solar LED deck lights - with a remote photocell/battery
pack.

I want the photocell/battery pack on the shed roof to get max charging,
but the cable ain't not long enough.

Makers say "Unfortunately it is not possible to extend the length to the
solar lights, or add extension cables".

Why would that be?

I would think...voltage drop. Just use very thick cable?

Could it be they don't trust customers to make the joins weatherproof?
Easier to say your customers that you can't than "you are an idiot who
wouldn't do it properly"! :-)

You might find (if the unit is pre-wired) that the cable is permanently
connected to the battery and cutting it to extend it will but a dead
short on the battery.
Just a thought

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 20:01:34 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

I would think...voltage drop. Just use very thick cable?

Could it be they don't trust customers to make the joins

weatherproof?

Or that the maker doesn't want get involved in "weather proof"
connectors at all. Decent weather proof connectors aren't cheap...

You might find (if the unit is pre-wired) that the cable is permanently
connected to the battery and cutting it to extend it will but a dead
short on the battery.

Only if you just take your snips and cut straight through the cable.
With figure of eight cable it's perfectly possible to snip one wire,
then the other. Or split the cable into two wires then cut each one
in turn. Other forms of cable can also be dissected and the
individual wires separated out.

I'd say it's perfectly possible to extend the cable but we'd need to
know more about these lights first.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, I was laughing cos some I've had for years have IDC connectors for the
lights so you can string them out to the length you want. Hardly
waterproof, but workable.

Besides, if the system is not protected against a short its pretty dire.
Mice love cables to chew on I have found.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Makers say "Unfortunately it is not possible to extend the length to the
solar lights, or add extension cables".

Why would that be?

Maybe the "cable" has some resistance to limit charging current - or
is made with some tinsel that nobody can connect to...
I would look at the ends of the cable first to see if normal copper.