Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any use for a fridge freezer motor / compressor?

I was about to scrap an old FF. Can anyone thing of a worthwhile use for
the motor compressor before I scrap it with the machine?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 21:57:20 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

I was about to scrap an old FF. Can anyone thing of a worthwhile use for
the motor compressor before I scrap it with the machine?

Very good compressor for an airbrush. Nice vacuum pump for refreshing
bronze bushes in motors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was about to scrap an old FF. Can anyone thing of a worthwhile use for
the motor compressor before I scrap it with the machine?

Very good compressor for an airbrush. Nice vacuum pump for refreshing
bronze bushes in motors.

The compressor will spit oil out, so you will need some way to collect
this and return it to the compressor, the oil might also be hazardous.

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 22:15:22 +0100, Toby
wrote:

The compressor will spit oil out, so you will need some way to collect
this and return it to the compressor, the oil might also be hazardous.

Not terribly difficult - simply have a 100mm or so vertical length of
22mm pipe on the output, that ensures that most oil dribbles back to
the compressor. A conventional oil filter takes care of the small
amount remaining.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The compressor will spit oil out, so you will need some way to collect
this and return it to the compressor, the oil might also be hazardous.

Not terribly difficult - simply have a 100mm or so vertical length of
22mm pipe on the output, that ensures that most oil dribbles back to
the compressor. A conventional oil filter takes care of the small
amount remaining.

Press metal scourer into the 22mm, same way car air filters worked in the 40s. No need for separate filter then.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 1, 2013 10:38:30 AM UTC+1, wrote:

Press metal scourer into the 22mm, same way car air filters worked in the 40s. No need for separate filter then.

Metal scourer?
Oil filter?
What could possibly go wrong?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was about to scrap an old FF. Can anyone thing of a worthwhile use for
the motor compressor before I scrap it with the machine?

Very good compressor for an airbrush. Nice vacuum pump for refreshing
bronze bushes in motors.

Good vacuum pump for a vacuum laminating and veneering bag too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was about to scrap an old FF. Can anyone thing of a worthwhile use for
the motor compressor before I scrap it with the machine?

Very good compressor for an airbrush. Nice vacuum pump for refreshing
bronze bushes in motors.

Good vacuum pump for a vacuum laminating and veneering bag too.

That possibly sounds like one worth trying...

any gottchs to watch getting one of these things out? (I have a feeling
its a butane style refrigerant rather than the ozone depleting type)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was about to scrap an old FF. Can anyone thing of a worthwhile use
for
the motor compressor before I scrap it with the machine?

Very good compressor for an airbrush. Nice vacuum pump for refreshing
bronze bushes in motors.

Good vacuum pump for a vacuum laminating and veneering bag too.

That possibly sounds like one worth trying...

any gottchs to watch getting one of these things out? (I have a feeling
its a butane style refrigerant rather than the ozone depleting type)

Do it outside and if you have had to tip it to get it outside, let the
oil return to the compressor.
Make a small cut to let the gas out - there should be a label to state
the refrigerant type to calm any rampant scruples(!)
The pipes are usually steel with a copper plating so cut through with a
magnet handy to catch the swarf.

Knock up a oil trap/filter as per the other replies for the high
pressure side to collect any expelled oil and automatically let it drain
back to the sump.
Maybe something to cover the vacuum side inlet to keep sawdust out when
it is not in use.

See here for improvised vacuum bagging ideas including a neat vacuum
switch to prevent the compressor running continuously.
http://thewoodhaven.co.uk/phpBB3/vie...t=1568&p=17977
hth
Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Very good compressor for an airbrush. Nice vacuum pump for refreshing

bronze bushes in motors.

You get a lot of condensation forming in the compressed air, a quite surprising amount.

You'd normally have a compressor discharging into a receiver, with a drain valve on it and the condensate drops out in the receiver.

A bare DIY compressor with no HP controls, connected to a DIY receiver with no pressure relief valve would be getting uncomfortably close to a potentially lethal device.

I don't know how the moisture or oil carry-over would affect painting, I've had no involvement with it. There must be information on the internet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Very good compressor for an airbrush. Nice vacuum pump for
refreshing

bronze bushes in motors.

You get a lot of condensation forming in the compressed air, a quite
surprising amount.

You'd normally have a compressor discharging into a receiver, with a
drain valve on it and the condensate drops out in the receiver.

A bare DIY compressor with no HP controls, connected to a DIY
receiver with no pressure relief valve would be getting uncomfortably
close to a potentially lethal device.

Well I have a compressor, so sucking is of more interest to me than
blowing ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, June 30, 2013 9:57:20 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
I was about to scrap an old FF. Can anyone thing of a worthwhile use for

the motor compressor before I scrap it with the machine?

Vacuum pump for DIY refrigeration systems?

http://www.overclockers.com/build-yo...ooling-system/

As it says there, if it used Polyol Ester oil (a lot of old stuff did, I believe), the oil turns acidic on exposure to air, so it's probably already knackered.

If it runs, I'm sure you could get a different oil in; seizing would be the compressor's way of telling you that'd failed.