Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default upstairs windows

Whats the current regulations regarding upstairs windows? Do they still have to be tilt and turn even though I have another escape route through a patio door.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday 28 June 2013 16:56 sintv wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Whats the current regulations regarding upstairs windows? Do they still
have to be tilt and turn even though I have another escape route through a
patio door.

According to my BCO, mine had to be "egress" which I assume includes
suitably desogned tilt-n-turn windows. However that was my particular house
layout - not sure in the general case.

Any reason for tilt as opposed to say casement+transom? I alway though tilt-
n-turn were a bit "office".

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 18:15:13 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On Friday 28 June 2013 16:56 sintv wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Whats the current regulations regarding upstairs windows? Do they still
have to be tilt and turn even though I have another escape route through a
patio door.

According to my BCO, mine had to be "egress" which I assume includes
suitably desogned tilt-n-turn windows. However that was my particular house
layout - not sure in the general case.

Any reason for tilt as opposed to say casement+transom? I alway though tilt-
n-turn were a bit "office".

AFAIK these will do - I've retrofitted my upstairs windows with similar:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Iron.../sd3183/p11743
but I had to widen the channel for it - a bit onerous but not difficult (AG
no good for this!).
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday 28 June 2013 21:48 PeterC wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 18:15:13 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On Friday 28 June 2013 16:56 sintv wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Whats the current regulations regarding upstairs windows? Do they still
have to be tilt and turn even though I have another escape route through
a patio door.

According to my BCO, mine had to be "egress" which I assume includes
suitably desogned tilt-n-turn windows. However that was my particular
house layout - not sure in the general case.

Any reason for tilt as opposed to say casement+transom? I alway though
tilt- n-turn were a bit "office".

AFAIK these will do - I've retrofitted my upstairs windows with similar:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Iron.../sd3183/p11743
but I had to widen the channel for it - a bit onerous but not difficult
(AG no good for this!).

They're good for modding exising windows - but I assumed the OP was
replacing his - in which case you can just buy them with those hinges (they
will have a buying option called "egress").

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 08:56:32 -0700, sintv wrote:

Whats the current regulations regarding upstairs windows? Do they still
have to be tilt and turn even though I have another escape route through
a patio door.

How close is the patio door to the upstairs window?

Same room?

Same floor?

You need to check with BC about the current regs but there is a limit to
the number of rooms/passageways you have to traverse to get to the nearest
fire exit.

In our last house we had a balcony door off the landing, but still needed
escape hinges in one bedroom because you needed to traverse a lobby and
another bedroom before you got to the door.

Cheers

Dave R

upstairs now too warm ronald UK diy 21 October 29th 09 09:41 PM
Upstairs too hot Kurt Ullman Home Repair 39 June 23rd 09 06:40 AM
Upstairs very hot tenplay Home Repair 13 July 25th 06 09:13 PM
Are Storm Windows a reasonable approach for newish vinyl windows? patrick conroy Home Repair 6 October 31st 05 12:11 AM
Course of bricks above upstairs windows John UK diy 7 April 5th 05 08:37 AM