Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plain Tile - felt support @ eaves.

Need to do some plain tiling on a 35 degree pitch roof ...
It is 4.3 x 4.3 m square with all 4 corners fitted with bonnet hips.

The Q relates to eaves .. on previous job I used these Felt support
trays - http://tinyurl.com/kqw6suz

These are great for large format tiles or slates
However as plain tiles have a course of eaves tiles first .. means first
batten is pretty close to fascia ... only ~150mm between back of fascia
and bottom edge of batten.

So I had to cut quite a lot off the depth of each one (about 75mm if I
remember)so it could fit in front of batten (so a lost of waste)

What else is typically used to prevent felt sag & puddling at eaves ...
even the old method of cutting a tilting fillet for each rafter, can
still allow felt to sag and then puddling of rain water.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rick Hughes writes:
Need to do some plain tiling on a 35 degree pitch roof ...
It is 4.3 x 4.3 m square with all 4 corners fitted with bonnet hips.

The Q relates to eaves .. on previous job I used these Felt support
trays - http://tinyurl.com/kqw6suz

These are great for large format tiles or slates
However as plain tiles have a course of eaves tiles first .. means first
batten is pretty close to fascia ... only ~150mm between back of fascia
and bottom edge of batten.

So I had to cut quite a lot off the depth of each one (about 75mm if I
remember)so it could fit in front of batten (so a lost of waste)

What else is typically used to prevent felt sag & puddling at eaves ...
even the old method of cutting a tilting fillet for each rafter, can
still allow felt to sag and then puddling of rain water.

I suspect if fitted during a re-roof, the bottom batten would be nailed
through the eaves tray into the rafters, since the tray goes under the
felt which is under the battens anyway.

I've only retrofitted it, and the interlocking concrete tiles were longer
than the width of the felt tray, so it didn't reach the bottom batten.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:
Need to do some plain tiling on a 35 degree pitch roof ...
It is 4.3 x 4.3 m square with all 4 corners fitted with bonnet hips.

The Q relates to eaves .. on previous job I used these Felt support
trays - http://tinyurl.com/kqw6suz

These are great for large format tiles or slates
However as plain tiles have a course of eaves tiles first .. means
first batten is pretty close to fascia ... only ~150mm between back
of fascia and bottom edge of batten.

What do you mean by 'plain tiles'?
What is the overall length of each tile?

So I had to cut quite a lot off the depth of each one (about 75mm if I
remember)so it could fit in front of batten (so a lost of waste)

The normal method is to put double batten at the bottom near the fascia to
support this tray

What else is typically used to prevent felt sag & puddling at eaves
... even the old method of cutting a tilting fillet for each rafter,
can still allow felt to sag and then puddling of rain water.

That's what this tray is for,, but that said, I've not used them for years -
I just pull the felt tight so there's no sagging, and aslo have the felt
overlapping the fascia by 150mm, then when the gutter's on, cutting it back
so that itjust laps into the gutter an inch or two

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:19:52 PM UTC+1, Rick Hughes wrote:
Need to do some plain tiling on a 35 degree pitch roof ... It is 4.3 x 4.3 m square with all 4 corners fitted with bonnet hips. The Q relates to eaves .. on previous job I used these Felt support trays - http://tinyurl.com/kqw6suz These are great for large format tiles or slates However as plain tiles have a course of eaves tiles first .. means first batten is pretty close to fascia ... only ~150mm between back of fascia and bottom edge of batten. So I had to cut quite a lot off the depth of each one (about 75mm if I remember)so it could fit in front of batten (so a lost of waste) What else is typically used to prevent felt sag & puddling at eaves ... even the old method of cutting a tilting fillet for each rafter, can still allow felt to sag and then puddling of rain water.

The over fascia support trays are not designed for plain tiles. There purpose is to support the newer type of breather underlay, as this type of material is thinner and if left to over hang the fascia does two things. #1 it sags at the back of the fascia, called toughing, #2 when the wind blows under the gutter it makes the over hanging material vibrates. To over come the problem of using trays, lay a length of thin ply on top of the fascia back to the bottom edge of the first tile batten nailing to the rafter, cut the tray down to fit on top of the ply, then lay underlay on top in the normal way. The only down fall in this method is that the thin ply does course a rim at the top. Ideally the ply can be fixed in between the rafter supported on short lengths of batten fixed to the inner side of the rafter.

Bats in eaves Joe Casey Home Repair 7 May 13th 18 05:14 PM
under felt eaves ventilation sm_jamieson UK diy 3 August 5th 09 09:16 AM
eaves storage rob UK diy 7 October 3rd 06 12:01 PM
reshingling from the eaves up Choreboy Home Repair 19 August 31st 05 10:06 PM
Shed roof repair, re-tile, fibreglass or felt? Zooologist UK diy 7 November 28th 04 06:48 PM