Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can I put plants right up to the foot of a new wall?

Thios is probably gardening rather than DIY, but here goes anyway: if I
build a new wall in my garden, is it practical to sink the footing to enough
depth that soil infill above it will be deep enough to sustain ground-cover
type planting? I'd like to establish a narrow (maximum six inches if
possible) border between the wall and an adjacent patio.

Many thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 13:00:24 +0100, "Bert Coules"
wrote:

Thios is probably gardening rather than DIY, but here goes anyway: if I
build a new wall in my garden, is it practical to sink the footing to enough
depth that soil infill above it will be deep enough to sustain ground-cover
type planting? I'd like to establish a narrow (maximum six inches if
possible) border between the wall and an adjacent patio.

I think that Eric Robson or Pippa Greenwood, if you prefer, would
first want to know which way the wall will be running. I suspect they
would then tell you to do what you need to do in order that the wall
doesn't fall over and would then recommend plants that will flourish
in the conditions that remain.

But don't rely on me. I'm a black-fingered gardener and everything I
touch seems to die. Except this pot of supermarket basil in the
kitchen window which has kept going for over a fortnight - whoopee!

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bert
Coules writes
Thios is probably gardening rather than DIY, but here goes anyway: if I
build a new wall in my garden, is it practical to sink the footing to
enough depth that soil infill above it will be deep enough to sustain
ground-cover type planting? I'd like to establish a narrow (maximum
six inches if possible) border between the wall and an adjacent patio.

Weeds will grow there very happily:-)

You might need to plant stuff suitable for low moisture conditions.
Silvery leaves?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bert Coules wrote:
Thios is probably gardening rather than DIY, but here goes anyway: if
I build a new wall in my garden, is it practical to sink the footing
to enough depth that soil infill above it will be deep enough to
sustain ground-cover type planting? I'd like to establish a narrow
(maximum six inches if possible) border between the wall and an
adjacent patio.

It'll be fine as long as you don't put anything major in there, bushes and
shrubs etc will be ok, but obviously not conifers or oak trees :-p

Some plants do better in shade and poor soil, Thyme for eg struggles in
moist compost but plant it in dry subsoil and gravel and it goes berserk,
lots of plants are like this - the worse you treat them, the better they
grow, so long as you buy the correct plants for the conditions, it's
difficult to go wrong.

four inches of soil is more than enough for a lot of plants - their upper
roots are for feeding and their lower roots search out water

nip over to urg and see what the bods in there have to say

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2013 13:00, Bert Coules wrote:
Thios is probably gardening rather than DIY, but here goes anyway: if I
build a new wall in my garden, is it practical to sink the footing to
enough depth that soil infill above it will be deep enough to sustain
ground-cover type planting? I'd like to establish a narrow (maximum six
inches if possible) border between the wall and an adjacent patio.

Many thanks.

AFAIK it's up to you how deep your footings are. Three courses down
(i.e. a foot) would be ok. More digging and more bricks of course!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 15, 1:00*pm, "Bert Coules" wrote:
Thios is probably gardening rather than DIY, but here goes anyway: if I
build a new wall in my garden, is it practical to sink the footing to enough
depth that soil infill above it will be deep enough to sustain ground-cover
type planting? *I'd like to establish a narrow (maximum six inches if
possible) border between the wall and an adjacent patio.

Many thanks.

There are several factors.
Some plants do better on the South side of a wall some do better on
the North.

A garden wall should be engineering bricks at the bottom which don't
suck up the moisture and are frost resistant (and frost resisting at
least higher up)

Old walls usually aren't and the soil is dried out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Some really useful answers, and I'm
pleased to know that it will work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, June 15, 2013 7:44:58 PM UTC+1, Bert Coules wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Some really useful answers, and I'm

pleased to know that it will work.

You could plant clematis along the base of the wall, they like these conditions and can give a nice cover. Pick different colours with different flowering periods for variety and long lasting display
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2013 21:11, fred wrote:
On Saturday, June 15, 2013 7:44:58 PM UTC+1, Bert Coules wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Some really useful answers, and I'm

pleased to know that it will work.

You could plant clematis along the base of the wall, they like these conditions and can give a nice cover. Pick different colours with different flowering periods for variety and long lasting display

Honeysuckle is growing in next to nothing on one of my garden walls
(gets plenty of sun)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2013 16:27, newshound wrote:
On 15/06/2013 21:11, fred wrote:
On Saturday, June 15, 2013 7:44:58 PM UTC+1, Bert Coules wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Some really useful answers, and I'm

pleased to know that it will work.

You could plant clematis along the base of the wall, they like these
conditions and can give a nice cover. Pick different colours with
different flowering periods for variety and long lasting display

Honeysuckle is growing in next to nothing on one of my garden walls
(gets plenty of sun)

Odd that. Mine is now flowering for the first time ever, despite no sun
to speak of

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 15/06/2013 13:00, Bert Coules wrote:

Thios is probably gardening rather than DIY, but here goes anyway: if I
build a new wall in my garden, is it practical to sink the footing to
enough depth that soil infill above it will be deep enough to sustain
ground-cover type planting? I'd like to establish a narrow (maximum six
inches if possible) border between the wall and an adjacent patio.

First tell us which way the wall faces and how high it is.

North facing hydrangea petiolaris does OK but is fairly slow growing.
South facing try fig/peach/nectarine/apple/pear according to taste.

Fig will actually enjoy the harsh dry conditions against a wall.

Any other direction wisteria or clematis.
Ivy or virginia creeper if you don't mind damage to the mortar and wall.

cross post added to uk.rec.gardening
(where they will probably disagree with my crude classification above)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown