Posted to alt.home.repair

Default what the heck plants...

was helping a friend clean up his property a couple weeks ago. ended up
with a nasty case of what appeared to be poison ivy on my forearms and
to a lesser extent my legs, despite never having ever had poison
anything ever before in my life. Hadn't seen anything looking like
poison ivy, but I did clear out a huge mess of various weeds from a
hedgerow. (really, about half the plants were hedge and half were weed.
It was a bit of a project, and we ended up running all the debris
through my wood chipper just to get it compact enough to cart off.
House was unoccupied for a while before he bought it, and I'm guessing
the previous owners likely didn't keep up with weeding real well anyway.)

Fast forward to today. Did a minor amount of follow up weeding over the
weekend, as it's still not 100% where it needs to be... lots of crap
growing around the base of the hedges but at least not growing up,
through, and taller than them. Was more alert this time, looking for
poison ivy type plants. Still didn't see any. Washed arms w/ soap and
cold water as soon as I came inside. Today have a few itchy spots on
right forearm.

I've looked up pictures of poison oak and poison sumac online (where I
grew up those pretty much didn't exist) and I didn't see anything that
looked like either of those. However there is some kind of viney thing
growing in among the shrubs that has that same reddish, oily look that
poison ivy sometimes gets, but the leaves on that look more than
anything like a regular oak tree leaf (nothing like the pics of "poison
oak" that I look up) and I don't see mention of any other itch-causing
plants on the east coast (although I do know at least one person who
gets a reaction from mile-a-minute vine.)

I guess the next step is to just ASSume that something in there is nasty
**** and just go scorched earth... rubber gloves, long sleeve shirt,
long pants, weed completely in one (very hot and sweaty) shot and toss
outer layer afterwards... sheesh. Or I'll make my friend do that.

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 19:52:26 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...og&sa=N&tab=wi

Guess most of those are for sinus, but you might find something
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...og&sa=N&tab=wi

Guess most of those are for sinus, but you might find something

Or these
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...w=1218&bih=621
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

There are many plants that can cause a reaction such as thistles. You don't
say what kind of hedge it was, I have found that even Juniper bushes can
cause a bad rash if you work on them with bare arms and legs. There also
could be spiders that bite and cause a rash. When working with the unknown,
it pays to cover bare skin and wear heavy gloves, even if it is hot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

was helping a friend clean up his property a couple weeks ago. ended up
with a nasty case of what appeared to be poison ivy on my forearms and
to a lesser extent my legs, despite never having ever had poison
anything ever before in my life. Hadn't seen anything looking like
poison ivy, but I did clear out a huge mess of various weeds from a
hedgerow.

Did you see any weeds that looked like this?

http://images.google.com/images?as_q=%22wild+parsnip%22