Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Need a hole to pass a mains plug through

55mm holesaw sound about right?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Adrian wrote:
55mm holesaw sound about right?

What is wrong with chopping the plug off and replacing it after passing the
cable through a say 8mm hole?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 19:21:38 +0100, ARW wrote:

55mm holesaw sound about right?

What is wrong with chopping the plug off and replacing it after passing
the cable through a say 8mm hole?

Because some of the holes will also have big thick speaker cable,
interconnects, SCART plugs and various other things passed through 'em,
and it's not as if the holes will be visible.

B'sides, it's too much like ballache... grin I hate moulded plugs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2013 19:27, Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 19:21:38 +0100, ARW wrote:

55mm holesaw sound about right?

What is wrong with chopping the plug off and replacing it after passing
the cable through a say 8mm hole?

Because some of the holes will also have big thick speaker cable,
interconnects, SCART plugs and various other things passed through 'em,
and it's not as if the holes will be visible.

B'sides, it's too much like ballache... grin I hate moulded plugs.

*holes* how many do you need?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 21:25:19 +0100, WeeBob wrote:

55mm holesaw sound about right?

What is wrong with chopping the plug off and replacing it after
passing the cable through a say 8mm hole?

Because some of the holes will also have big thick speaker cable,
interconnects, SCART plugs and various other things passed through 'em,
and it's not as if the holes will be visible.

B'sides, it's too much like ballache... grin I hate moulded plugs.

*holes* how many do you need?

It's a built-to-fit bookcasey thing, with various shelves, which have got
various bits of component hifi sitting on them - but no way to cable the
buggers up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2013 21:54, Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 21:25:19 +0100, WeeBob wrote:

55mm holesaw sound about right?

What is wrong with chopping the plug off and replacing it after
passing the cable through a say 8mm hole?

Because some of the holes will also have big thick speaker cable,
interconnects, SCART plugs and various other things passed through 'em,
and it's not as if the holes will be visible.

B'sides, it's too much like ballache... grin I hate moulded plugs.

*holes* how many do you need?

It's a built-to-fit bookcasey thing, with various shelves, which have got
various bits of component hifi sitting on them - but no way to cable the
buggers up.

I've used holesaws for 13A plugs. For smaller stuff it's usually much
neater to cut a suitable rectangular slot with a Fein/Bosch/Aldi/Lidl
multi-tool.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 11/06/2013 19:27, Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 19:21:38 +0100, ARW wrote:

55mm holesaw sound about right?

What is wrong with chopping the plug off and replacing it after passing
the cable through a say 8mm hole?

Because some of the holes will also have big thick speaker cable,
interconnects, SCART plugs and various other things passed through 'em,
and it's not as if the holes will be visible.

B'sides, it's too much like ballache... grin I hate moulded plugs.

*holes* how many do you need?

Make reasonable size hole and fit a cable tidy sort of grommet, such
as

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Computer-Tab...esk+cable+tidy

HTH -
--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I often find these days the plug is a clamp on over a Europlug which is
moulded on. I suppose this is so they can just cater for the country by
changing the clamped on adaptors.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 19:21:38 +0100, ARW wrote:

55mm holesaw sound about right?

What is wrong with chopping the plug off and replacing it after passing
the cable through a say 8mm hole?

Because some of the holes will also have big thick speaker cable,
interconnects, SCART plugs and various other things passed through 'em,
and it's not as if the holes will be visible.

B'sides, it's too much like ballache... grin I hate moulded plugs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 19:21:38 +0100, ARW wrote:

55mm holesaw sound about right?

What is wrong with chopping the plug off and replacing it after passing
the cable through a say 8mm hole?

Because some of the holes will also have big thick speaker cable,
interconnects, SCART plugs and various other things passed through 'em,
and it's not as if the holes will be visible.

B'sides, it's too much like ballache... grin I hate moulded plugs.

Just as an aside, it's good practice to keep mains and signal cables as
far apart as possible.

--
*Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2013 19:17, Adrian wrote:
55mm holesaw sound about right?

The hole im my desk, which passed a 13A plug with a bit to spare, is
about 75mm.

UK 3-pin mains plug Andrew Gabriel UK diy 5 May 14th 12 01:45 PM
odd mains plug mike UK diy 5 November 25th 06 12:08 PM
odd mains plug Sparks UK diy 2 November 23rd 06 12:29 PM
odd mains plug Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 0 November 23rd 06 11:22 AM
odd mains plug Sparks UK diy 1 November 23rd 06 03:49 AM