Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default would you keep this fireplace (+ kitchen pics) ?

We have to decide whether to keep a 1930s tiled fire surround or rip it out and replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is a Baxi Burnall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting rod) and is being kept either way.
I cannot decide if the original tiled surround has some charm or not !
Would you keep it ?

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/sm...rary/fireplace

Oh, whilst here, some pics of the kitchen I just about finished in time for Christmas (still a few bits to do - cornice etc). Thanks to all that gave advice.

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/sm...ibrary/kitchen

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, May 11, 2013 8:35:21 PM UTC+1, Owain wrote:
On May 11, 8:10*pm, sm_jamieson wrote:

We have to decide whether to keep a 1930s tiled fire surround or rip it out and replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is a Baxi Burnall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting rod) and is being kept either way.

I cannot decide if the original tiled surround has some charm or not !

Would you keep it ?

If it suits the style of house and decor, certainly.

Its just the gold bits are a bit much !
We have been umming and ahhing for ages.

Is it just the angle of photograph or has the electrician really put

the lightswitches different distances each side away from the patio

door?

Haha, it does look like that in the picture.
The electrician is me and the switch on the left is just a back box containing unconnected wires for some outside lights to be put into the soffit. I did put the back boxes in the same distance from the door opening.

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, May 11, 2013 8:43:32 PM UTC+1, sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

Oh, plus the patio door frame and wall are white, and visually blend a bit, making the distance look greater !
Si.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/2013 20:10, sm_jamieson wrote:
We have to decide whether to keep a 1930s tiled fire surround or rip it out and replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is a Baxi Burnall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting rod) and is being kept either way.
I cannot decide if the original tiled surround has some charm or not !
Would you keep it ?

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/sm...rary/fireplace

Oh, whilst here, some pics of the kitchen I just about finished in time for Christmas (still a few bits to do - cornice etc). Thanks to all that gave advice.

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/sm...ibrary/kitchen

Simon.

Personally, I would keep it. In the shed, under a tarpaulin :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, May 11, 2013 8:56:03 PM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 11/05/2013 20:10, sm_jamieson wrote:

We have to decide whether to keep a 1930s tiled fire surround or rip it out and replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is a Baxi Burnall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting rod) and is being kept either way.

I cannot decide if the original tiled surround has some charm or not !

Would you keep it ?

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/sm...rary/fireplace

Oh, whilst here, some pics of the kitchen I just about finished in time for Christmas (still a few bits to do - cornice etc). Thanks to all that gave advice.

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/sm...ibrary/kitchen

Simon.

Personally, I would keep it. In the shed, under a tarpaulin :-)

What ?!?!?!?
Its even got little painted cherubs in the "circles" top left, right and centre ;-)
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/2013 21:10, sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

Exactly :-)

Chuck out your Chintz !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Interesting; "Chintz (from the plural of chint) was originally glazed
calico textiles, initially specifically those imported from India,
printed with designs featuring flowers and other patterns in different
colours, typically on a light plain background".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 May 2013 12:10:52 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson
wrote:

We have to decide whether to keep a 1930s tiled fire surround or rip it out and replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is a Baxi Burnall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting rod) and is being kept either way.
I cannot decide if the original tiled surround has some charm or not !
Would you keep it ?

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/sm...rary/fireplace

It's a lot nicer than any mass-produced wooden one would be :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

We have to decide whether to keep a 1930s tiled fire surround or rip it out and replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is a Baxi Burnall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting rod) and is being kept either way.
I cannot decide if the original tiled surround has some charm or not !
Would you keep it ?

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/sm...rary/fireplace

Oh, whilst here, some pics of the kitchen I just about finished in time for Christmas (still a few bits to do - cornice etc). Thanks to all that gave advice.

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/sm...ibrary/kitchen

It looks completely unmarked and undamaged to me so if you really must
take it out, I'd take it out carefully and sell it. But if I came
across an original fireplace in an original house (I can't tell from
the photos if your main house is 1930s) in such excellent condition
I'd want to keep it and theme the room around it.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I kind of agree. It would be a shame to rip it out.
The house is 1930s, and the fireplace tiles kind of echo the tiles above the adjoining kitchen worktop (see the kitchen photo album) - which themselves echo the original kitchen tiles before we extended.
I think the chintzy print on some of the tiles is the main difficulty, but trying to change some of the tiles or using tile paint would probably wreck it.

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 May 2013 13:10:52 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson
wrote:

[...]

Kiddy p0rn, better make that two tarpaulins.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/2013 20:10, sm_jamieson wrote:
We have to decide whether to keep a 1930s tiled fire surround or rip it out and replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is a Baxi Burnall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting rod) and is being kept either way.
I cannot decide if the original tiled surround has some charm or not !
Would you keep it ?

If this was a do-er upper or a rental property, then it's a fair
question, but assuming it's your own home, then you have to decide
whether you like it or not - don't let others tell you what your taste
should be...

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
Its just the gold bits are a bit much !
We have been umming and ahhing for ages.

Would you be able to paint them white to tone in with the rest? Perhaps in
a paint that can be easily removed at a later date?

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, May 12, 2013 12:16:52 AM UTC+1, Theo Markettos wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:

Its just the gold bits are a bit much !

We have been umming and ahhing for ages.

Would you be able to paint them white to tone in with the rest? Perhaps in

a paint that can be easily removed at a later date?

It would be easy to paint in the flowers, but the prints on the upper tiles would be tricky. Replacement tiles would be an option if available.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 11, 8:10*pm, sm_jamieson wrote:
We have to decide whether to keep a 1930s tiled fire surround or rip it out and replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is a Baxi Burnall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting rod) and is being kept either way.
I cannot decide if the original tiled surround has some charm or not !
Would you keep it ?

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/sm...rary/fireplace

Oh, whilst here, some pics of the kitchen I just about finished in time for Christmas (still a few bits to do - cornice etc). Thanks to all that gave advice.

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/sm...ibrary/kitchen

Simon.Ads not by this site

Personally I would definitely keep it.
It must have cost a fortune when new.

Fashions come and go. In ten years it could be hot
property.

Far better than the **** you buy nowadays.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , The Medway Handyman
escribió:

Personally, I would keep it. In the shed, under a tarpaulin :-)

+1, but in the nearest skip.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

We have to decide whether to keep a 1930s tiled fire surround or rip
it out and replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is a
Baxi Burnall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting rod) and
is being kept either way. I cannot decide if the original tiled
surround has some charm or not ! Would you keep it ?

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/sm...rary/fireplace

Oh, whilst here, some pics of the kitchen I just about finished in
time for Christmas (still a few bits to do - cornice etc). Thanks to
all that gave advice.

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/sm...ibrary/kitchen

Simon.

Keep it. You bought the house with it and it goes well with the house.
Rip it out and you could easily end up with something really horrible.
Design around it.

I don't like it but if I'd bought that house I'd keep it. At least for
the time being. I suspect over time I'd forget I didn't at first like
it. If it started to annoy me that would be the time to change it and by
then I'd have an alternative in mind.

Edgar
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, May 12, 2013 8:56:54 AM UTC+1, Edgar wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:

[...]

+1

Sometimes things that naively try to be something but don't really make it have their own charm. It looks like a naive attempt at 1930s bling, I'd probably keep it At least until I was truly sure something else would be a lot better. You can't ever put back that sort of odd character.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 May 2013 08:00:02 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Personally, I would keep it. In the shed, under a tarpaulin :-)

+1, but in the nearest skip.

Oh well, you could probably get a few hundred quid for it from a
architectural salvage place. It looks in very good condition...

As for keeping it, it's not my taste but if it matches the age of the
house and the other parts as well that I do like I would probably keep
it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

[...]

Well now is the time to decide, since we are about to redecorate the room.

The alternative in mind is a fairly tall timber surround painted white:

http://www.castfireplaces.co.uk/timb...ne-mantel.html

With a cast iron plate like this:

http://www.manchesterfireplaces.co.u...Iron-Fascia/19

fitted around the current Baxi fireplace.

You know, painted in with the skirtings with possible integrated shelves at the side of the chimney breast, to create the sort of effect seen in "posh house" magazines all the time.

We are fitting white spindled bannisters soon, so going fake Victorian / Edwardian I guess. But we could have a "1930s" room !

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

[...]

So you're looking at putting Victorian fittings in a 1930s house. I wouldn't. If in doubt I'd leave it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.castfireplaces.co.uk/timb...e-corbel-pine-

http://www.manchesterfireplaces.co.u...roe-Cast-Iron-

Fascia/19

fitted around the current Baxi fireplace.

You know, painted in with the skirtings with possible integrated
shelves at the side of the chimney breast, to create the sort of
effect seen in "posh house" magazines all the time.

We are fitting white spindled bannisters soon, so going fake Victorian
/ Edwardian I guess. But we could have a "1930s" room !

Simon.

The suggested new one is worse than the one that's there. I don't like
it at all. Fashionable tarting up. The feature they mention means your
room will just look B & Q posh. At least what you have now is
individual.

I'd save the cash and the effort until either I found I liked the
existing one or thought up something really good. But it's you that has
to live with it.

Book shelves are a good idea. There are never enough. I've now got
overflow bookshelves in the summer house and they are well filled.

I don't really know what the room is like but I think the original
fireplace might look well with a large simple wood framed square mirror
about 1/3 the width of the mantel shelf.

Your fireplace is beginning to grow upon me. Clear the mantel shelf and
things will look much better. Then think carefully about what you put on
there. Spend the money on something interesting to look at that you'll
really enjoy.

Anyway good luck with what you choose.

Edgar

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

sm_jamieson wrote:
We have to decide whether to keep a 1930s tiled fire surround or rip
it out and replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is
a Baxi Burnall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting rod)
and is being kept either way. I cannot decide if the original tiled
surround has some charm or not !
Would you keep it ?

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/sm...rary/fireplace

Oh, whilst here, some pics of the kitchen I just about finished in
time for Christmas (still a few bits to do - cornice etc). Thanks to
all that gave advice.

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/sm...ibrary/kitchen

Do you not have a wife that tells you what to like or dislike:-)?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 May 2013 16:39:18 +0100, Edgar Iredale wrote:

The suggested new one is worse than the one that's there. I don't like
it at all. Fashionable tarting up. The feature they mention means your
room will just look B & Q posh. At least what you have now is
individual.

+1 Those corbelled things are every where...

I don't really know what the room is like but I think the original
fireplace might look well with a large simple wood framed square mirror
about 1/3 the width of the mantel shelf.

-1 Not a Good Idea to place a mirror over a fireplace. People will stand
in front of the fire preening themselves in the mirror and not notice
their clothes catching light...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, May 12, 2013 4:59:57 PM UTC+1, wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:

We have to decide whether to keep a 1930s tiled fire surround or rip

it out and replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is

a Baxi Burnall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting rod)

and is being kept either way. I cannot decide if the original tiled

surround has some charm or not !

Would you keep it ?

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/sm...rary/fireplace

Oh, whilst here, some pics of the kitchen I just about finished in

time for Christmas (still a few bits to do - cornice etc). Thanks to

all that gave advice.

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/sm...ibrary/kitchen

Do you not have a wife that tells you what to like or dislike:-)?

Yes.
The trouble is she is pregnant at the moment, so she tells me something different every day !
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Edgar Iredale
escribió:

The suggested new one is worse than the one that's there.

It's a house for living in, not a bloody museum.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

8----

I don't really know what the room is like but I think the original
fireplace might look well with a large simple wood framed square
mirror about 1/3 the width of the mantel shelf.

-1 Not a Good Idea to place a mirror over a fireplace. People will
stand in front of the fire preening themselves in the mirror and not
notice their clothes catching light...

Preening? Not noticing? What kind of people do you know? Maybe it's a
Darwinian opportunity.

Well, If folk really are that daft these days I'll have to agree with
you and withdraw my suggestion. Even though I think it would improve
things.

Edgar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:
Do you not have a wife that tells you what to like or dislike:-)?

Yes.
The trouble is she is pregnant at the moment, so she tells me
something different every day !

Congratulations on the baby.

Not that that will help her decide what you are allowed to like:-).

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Edgar writes:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 12 May 2013 16:39:18 +0100, Edgar Iredale wrote:

8----

I don't really know what the room is like but I think the original
fireplace might look well with a large simple wood framed square
mirror about 1/3 the width of the mantel shelf.

-1 Not a Good Idea to place a mirror over a fireplace. People will
stand in front of the fire preening themselves in the mirror and not
notice their clothes catching light...

Preening? Not noticing? What kind of people do you know? Maybe it's a
Darwinian opportunity.

Well, If folk really are that daft these days I'll have to agree with
you and withdraw my suggestion. Even though I think it would improve
things.

We've had a mirror above the fireplace for 15 years. Zero injuries in
that time. Maybe I should fit a yellow warning sign just in case.

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/2013 21:07, Alexander Lamaison wrote:
Edgar writes:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

I thought mirrors above fireplaces were more to do with their effects on
what the room is like (e.g. making it feel more spacious or reflecting
light) than for personal use?

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Edgar writes:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

I've always lived in houses with mirrors above the fireplace. My
grandparents had mirrors there too.

To me it is the obvious place 'cos it's the only place where someone
won't stick a chair or table in front of it, stopping you getting close
enough.

Can't say I've ever had a problem with the fires.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I cannot decide if the original tiled surround has some charm or not !
Would you keep it ?

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/sm...rary/fireplace

Normally I'm no great fan of tiled 30's tat, but that's ok looking.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 12, 6:33*pm, Edgar wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 12 May 2013 16:39:18 +0100, Edgar Iredale wrote:

8----

I don't really know what the room is like but I think the original
fireplace might look well with a large simple wood framed square
mirror about 1/3 the width of the mantel shelf.

-1 Not a Good Idea to place a mirror over a fireplace. People will
stand in front of the fire preening themselves in the mirror and not
notice their clothes catching light...

Preening? Not noticing? What kind of people do you know? Maybe it's a
Darwinian opportunity.

Well, If folk really are that daft these days I'll have to agree with
you and withdraw my suggestion. Even though I think it would improve
things.

Edgar.

Very common occurance when there were lots of open fires and people
wore cotton and linen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Edgar writes:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

Clothing is less flammable these days. An the fireplace is used less
often.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2013 08:16, harry wrote:

Clothing is less flammable these days. An the fireplace is used less
often.

References? Explanation? Proof? When did "these days" start?

Other than, for example, children's nightwear.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/2013 15:33, sm_jamieson wrote:
Well now is the time to decide, since we are about to redecorate the room.

The alternative in mind is a fairly tall timber surround painted white:

http://www.castfireplaces.co.uk/timb...ne-mantel.html

With a cast iron plate like this:

http://www.manchesterfireplaces.co.u...Iron-Fascia/19

fitted around the current Baxi fireplace.

Well, I wasn't sure. But now I've seen that - keep it.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 May 2013 00:16:24 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

-1 Not a Good Idea to place a mirror over a fireplace. People will
stand in front of the fire preening themselves in the mirror and
not notice their clothes catching light...

Preening? Not noticing? What kind of people do you know?

Women.

We've had a mirror above the fireplace for 15 years. *Zero injuries
in that time.

See below.

I thought mirrors above fireplaces were more to do with their effects
on what the room is like (e.g. making it feel more spacious or
reflecting light) than for personal use?

If there is an accessable mirror women can't resist preening themselves.
B-)

To me it is the obvious place 'cos it's the only place where someone
won't stick a chair or table in front of it, stopping you getting
close enough.

Exactly. People can get close to the mirror, paying attention to their
preening and failing to notice their clothing gettig too close to the
fire.

Clothing is less flammable these days. An the fireplace is used less
often.

And dress styles have changed, full skirts are not daily wear these days..
But when they are worn it's a special occasion and the wearer more likely
to be in full preen mode and as they rarely wear a full skirt even less
aware of the dress into fire posibilty.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 May 2013 10:25:16 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson wrote:

Do you not have a wife that tells you what to like or dislike:-)?

Yes.
The trouble is she is pregnant at the moment, so she tells me something
different every day !

That's normal, nothing to do with being pregnant.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, May 13, 2013 9:45:00 AM UTC+1, Andy Champ wrote:
On 12/05/2013 15:33, sm_jamieson wrote:

Well now is the time to decide, since we are about to redecorate the room.

The alternative in mind is a fairly tall timber surround painted white:

http://www.castfireplaces.co.uk/timb...ne-mantel.html

With a cast iron plate like this:

http://www.manchesterfireplaces.co.u...Iron-Fascia/19

fitted around the current Baxi fireplace.

Well, I wasn't sure. But now I've seen that - keep it.

Andy

As a matter of interest, what type of fire surround might I have had in mind that you would have preferred over the current one ? I find matters of taste interesting, since they do develop over time.

If you are keeping an existing fireback etc., you have to use an "infill" panel, and the options seem to be tiles, stone or a cast iron plate like in my link.
Lots of people fit a whole cast iron fire insert with vertical row of tiles either side, but that usually includes the grate so it cannot be used with the Baxi which draws its air from beneath the floor and whose grate is level with the hearth.

Cheers,
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I cannot decide if the original tiled surround has some charm or not !

Would you keep it ?

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/sm...rary/fireplace

Normally I'm no great fan of tiled 30's tat, but that's ok looking.

It is a bit different to the chunky art deco style fireplaces in foul swirly patterns and colours, which would definitely get ripped out.
The house although built in the late 1930s was built to an earlier pattern using lime mortar, fireplaces in upstairs bedrooms, etc. So perhaps the fireplace is slightly earlier in style, although I cannot find anything similar in google images.
The other notable feature is the mantle is very low.

Simon.