Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ffs, did he think...

.... the solid concrete roof would quietly float down to the ground, or
something?
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/jake-weir-b...115719313.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
news
... the solid concrete roof would quietly float down to the ground, or
something?
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/jake-weir-b...115719313.html

A "Major Scott" of the building world, what a prick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/05/2013 12:16 p.m., Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
... the solid concrete roof would quietly float down to the ground, or
something?
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/jake-weir-b...115719313.html

A real optimist.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 3, 1:16*am, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
... the solid concrete roof would quietly float down to the ground, or
something?http://uk.news.yahoo.com/jake-weir-b...m-collap...Ads not by this site

You're not trained to think in the army.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/05/2013 6:48 p.m., harry wrote:
On May 3, 1:16 am, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
... the solid concrete roof would quietly float down to the ground, or
something?http://uk.news.yahoo.com/jake-weir-b...m-collap...Ads not by this site

You're not trained to think in the army.

Thinking is the second thing that has to go, after the hair.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, May 3, 2013 8:11:43 AM UTC+1, Gib Bogle wrote:
On 3/05/2013 6:48 p.m., harry wrote:

On May 3, 1:16 am, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

... the solid concrete roof would quietly float down to the ground, or

something?http://uk.news.yahoo.com/jake-weir-b...m-collap...Ads not by this site

You're not trained to think in the army.

Thinking is the second thing that has to go, after the hair.

T least he wasnt standing inside beating the wall outwards

So how would YOU have done it ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 03/05/2013 01:16, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
.... the solid concrete roof would quietly float down to the ground, or
something?
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/jake-weir-b...115719313.html

To be fair, the roof did just go straight downwards. What he didn't
factor in is that the wall went outwards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/05/13 08:11, Gib Bogle wrote:
On 3/05/2013 6:48 p.m., harry wrote:
On May 3, 1:16 am, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
... the solid concrete roof would quietly float down to the ground, or
something?http://uk.news.yahoo.com/jake-weir-b...m-collap...Ads
not by this site

You're not trained to think in the army.

Thinking is the second thing that has to go, after the hair.

Not in the officer class.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 May 2013 08:35:27 +0100, GB wrote:

To be fair, the roof did just go straight downwards. What he didn't
factor in is that the wall went outwards.

Yep, he hadn't worked out his Dibnah Route for when "it's goin'" and
maybe wasn't cautious enough once more than 1/4 of the roof slab was
unsupported.

As has been asked "how would YOU have done it ?"

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/05/2013 08:34, fred wrote:
On May 3, 1:16 am, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

... the solid concrete roof would quietly float down to the ground, or

something?http://uk.news.yahoo.com/jake-weir-b...m-collap...Ads not by this site

T least he wasnt standing inside beating the wall outwards

So how would YOU have done it ?

It is conventional to remove something that is being supported by a wall
before removing the wall holding it up.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
On 03/05/2013 08:34, fred wrote:
So how would YOU have done it ?

It is conventional to remove something that is being supported by a wall
before removing the wall holding it up.

The problem I can see is that the roof is one big slab of concrete,
supported by thin walls. If you try to break up the roof slab you may
destabilise the walls and the whole thing would still come down. I would
think that safely demolishing that garage without machinery is pretty
difficult.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, May 3, 2013 8:56:22 AM UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
On 03/05/2013 08:34, fred wrote:

On May 3, 1:16 am, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

... the solid concrete roof would quietly float down to the ground, or

something?http://uk.news.yahoo.com/jake-weir-b...m-collap...Ads not by this site

..

T least he wasnt standing inside beating the wall outwards

So how would YOU have done it ?

It is conventional to remove something that is being supported by a wall

before removing the wall holding it up.

Colin Bignell

Yes but the roof was re-inforced. That was not going to be easy to demolish in situ. I think he had the right idea but the wrong method. (Railway sleepers to hold it, knock out the wall, burn the sleepers or some such similar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 03/05/2013 08:51, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 03 May 2013 08:35:27 +0100, GB wrote:

To be fair, the roof did just go straight downwards. What he didn't
factor in is that the wall went outwards.

Yep, he hadn't worked out his Dibnah Route for when "it's goin'" and
maybe wasn't cautious enough once more than 1/4 of the roof slab was
unsupported.

As has been asked "how would YOU have done it ?"

The only safe way I can think of, short of using a big machine, is to
nibble bits off the concrete slab, starting at the front edge and
working backwards.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/05/2013 09:12, Mike Humphrey wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
On 03/05/2013 08:34, fred wrote:
So how would YOU have done it ?

It is conventional to remove something that is being supported by a wall
before removing the wall holding it up.

The problem I can see is that the roof is one big slab of concrete,
supported by thin walls. If you try to break up the roof slab you may
destabilise the walls and the whole thing would still come down. I would
think that safely demolishing that garage without machinery is pretty
difficult.

I have seen this done by building a scaffolding framework inside the
garage and taking the weight of the roof on Acrow props.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/05/13 08:51, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 03 May 2013 08:35:27 +0100, GB wrote:

To be fair, the roof did just go straight downwards. What he didn't
factor in is that the wall went outwards.

Yep, he hadn't worked out his Dibnah Route for when "it's goin'" and
maybe wasn't cautious enough once more than 1/4 of the roof slab was
unsupported.

As has been asked "how would YOU have done it ?"

acrow under the roof, demolish wall, tow rope round the acrow and
builders van doing an F 1 start..

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/05/13 09:12, Mike Humphrey wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
On 03/05/2013 08:34, fred wrote:
So how would YOU have done it ?

It is conventional to remove something that is being supported by a wall
before removing the wall holding it up.

The problem I can see is that the roof is one big slab of concrete,
supported by thin walls. If you try to break up the roof slab you may
destabilise the walls and the whole thing would still come down. I would
think that safely demolishing that garage without machinery is pretty
difficult.

No its not.

You prop the roof an remove the walls.

Then remove the props. From a distance.

Mike

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/05/2013 09:15, fred wrote:
On Friday, May 3, 2013 8:56:22 AM UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:

It is conventional to remove something that is being supported by a wall
before removing the wall holding it up.

Yes but the roof was re-inforced. That was not going to be easy to demolish in situ.

As I have said in my other reply, I have seen it done with a framework
of scaffolding inside the garage and the weight of the roof taken on
Acrow props.

I think he had the right idea but the wrong method. (Railway sleepers to hold it, knock out the wall, burn the sleepers or some such similar.

It was too close to other buildings for anything other than a careful
removal piece by piece. Had it been well clear of anything else, then a
chain around the base and a winch anchored well clear of the structure
would have worked, although, from his track record, he might well have
found the things that can go wrong doing that.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 May 2013 08:51:33 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Fri, 03 May 2013 08:35:27 +0100, GB wrote:

To be fair, the roof did just go straight downwards. What he didn't
factor in is that the wall went outwards.

Yep, he hadn't worked out his Dibnah Route for when "it's goin'" and
maybe wasn't cautious enough once more than 1/4 of the roof slab was
unsupported.

As has been asked "how would YOU have done it ?"

I'd have got a man in...and set up a camera in case I had the chance to make
some dosh from Youtube.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
On 03/05/2013 08:51, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 03 May 2013 08:35:27 +0100, GB wrote:

To be fair, the roof did just go straight downwards. What he didn't
factor in is that the wall went outwards.

Yep, he hadn't worked out his Dibnah Route for when "it's goin'" and
maybe wasn't cautious enough once more than 1/4 of the roof slab was
unsupported.

As has been asked "how would YOU have done it ?"

The only safe way I can think of, short of using a big machine, is to
nibble bits off the concrete slab, starting at the front edge and
working backwards.

DRILL A LINE OF HOLES IN STRATEGIC PLACES AND USE BLACK POWDER(oops cap
lock)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 May 2013 00:34:57 -0700 (PDT), fred
wrote:

So how would YOU have done it ?

In sections, for the roof; for the wall, bang holes and put a wire
hawser through them, and pull with a Landie, tractor, similar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 May 2013 09:31:41 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

I have seen this done by building a scaffolding framework inside the
garage and taking the weight of the roof on Acrow props.

And then?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/05/2013 10:50, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 03 May 2013 09:31:41 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

I have seen this done by building a scaffolding framework inside the
garage and taking the weight of the roof on Acrow props.

And then?

Man with Kango hammer stood on the roof and cut it back, piece by piece.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/05/2013 10:49, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 03 May 2013 08:56:22 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

So how would YOU have done it ?

It is conventional to remove something that is being supported by a
wall before removing the wall holding it up.

So how would YOU have done it ?

I would have got in somebody who knew what they were doing.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It is conventional to remove something that is being supported by a wall

before removing the wall holding it up.

Colin Bignell

Yes but the roof was re-inforced. That was not going to be easy to demolish in
situ. I think he had the right idea but the wrong method. (Railway sleepers to
hold it, knock out the wall, burn the sleepers or some such similar.

Look how Fred Dibnah managed with that method hundreds of feet high
chimneys and hardly did it ever go wrong;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/05/2013 08:56, Nightjar wrote:
On 03/05/2013 08:34, fred wrote:
On May 3, 1:16 am, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

... the solid concrete roof would quietly float down to the ground, or

something?http://uk.news.yahoo.com/jake-weir-b...m-collap...Ads
not by this site

..
T least he wasnt standing inside beating the wall outwards

So how would YOU have done it ?

It is conventional to remove something that is being supported by a wall
before removing the wall holding it up.

But I can see why one might not want to do that in this case.

One option is prop the roof, remove the wall, lower the roof.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/05/2013 10:49, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 03 May 2013 08:56:22 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

So how would YOU have done it ?

It is conventional to remove something that is being supported by a
wall before removing the wall holding it up.

So how would YOU have done it ?

build a thermic lance and cut the slab down the middle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 May 2013 01:54:21 +0100, bm wrote:

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
news
... the solid concrete roof would quietly float down to the ground, or
something?
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/jake-weir-b...115719313.html

A "Major Scott" of the building world, what a prick.

OY!!!!!

Anyway, he wasn't in danger of being hit by the concrete, it was the bricks that got him.

And I would have used a lot of explosive.

--
An airliner was having engine trouble, and the pilot instructed the cabin crew to have the passengers take their seats and get prepared for an emergency landing.
A few minutes later, the pilot asked the flight attendants if everyone was buckled in and ready.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 May 2013 20:28:41 +0100, Major Scott wrote:

And I would have used a lot of explosive.

I'm so tempted to find a garage and ask you to demolish it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote:
On 03/05/2013 10:49, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 03 May 2013 08:56:22 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

So how would YOU have done it ?

It is conventional to remove something that is being supported by a
wall before removing the wall holding it up.

So how would YOU have done it ?

build a thermic lance and cut the slab down the middle.

Is for once, the "best" answer yet. ;-). Next question though, do you stand
on or under the roof whilst cutting it?

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
news
... the solid concrete roof would quietly float down to the ground, or
something?
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/jake-weir-b...115719313.html

It doesn't seem entirely unreasonable to expect the roof to fall into the
void, leaving the side wall still standing

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
On 03/05/2013 08:34, fred wrote:
So how would YOU have done it ?
It is conventional to remove something that is being supported by a wall
before removing the wall holding it up.

The problem I can see is that the roof is one big slab of concrete,
supported by thin walls. If you try to break up the roof slab you may
destabilise the walls and the whole thing would still come down. I would
think that safely demolishing that garage without machinery is pretty
difficult.

No its not.

You prop the roof an remove the walls.

Then remove the props. From a distance.

If you have the kit to do that it would be easier to remove the wall - from
a distance

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 May 2013 23:53:42 +0200, tim...... wrote:

It doesn't seem entirely unreasonable to expect the roof to fall into
the void, leaving the side wall still standing

A stiff breeze will knock over an 8' high single brick width wall...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 May 2013 20:34:53 +0100, Adrian wrote:

On Fri, 03 May 2013 20:28:41 +0100, Major Scott wrote:

And I would have used a lot of explosive.

I'm so tempted to find a garage and ask you to demolish it.

If you supply the explosives. Otherwise I'll tow it down with a car.

--
Einstein married his cousin, Elsa Lowenthal, after his first marriage failed in 1919.
At the time he stated that he was attracted to Elsa "because she was so well endowed".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Fri, 3 May 2013 23:53:42 +0200, tim...... wrote:

It doesn't seem entirely unreasonable to expect the roof to fall into
the void, leaving the side wall still standing

A stiff breeze will knock over an 8' high single brick width wall...

Yes, and they're a bugger for sinking in back boxes (hammer and chisel)
without bricks falling out (into next door)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
On 03/05/2013 08:34, fred wrote:
So how would YOU have done it ?
It is conventional to remove something that is being supported by a
wall
before removing the wall holding it up.
The problem I can see is that the roof is one big slab of concrete,
supported by thin walls. If you try to break up the roof slab you may
destabilise the walls and the whole thing would still come down. I would
think that safely demolishing that garage without machinery is pretty
difficult.

No its not.

You prop the roof an remove the walls.

Then remove the props. From a distance.

If you have the kit to do that it would be easier to remove the wall -
from a distance

tim

I have the kit to do it remotely somewhere..
It would be possible to use a sacrificial angle grinder on a wooden
trolley to cut through the centre of the slab. You don't even need
string if you pull on the cable. The grinder might even survive.
Make sure to post a video if you try. 8-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/05/13 22:53, tim...... wrote:

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
news
... the solid concrete roof would quietly float down to the ground, or
something?
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/jake-weir-b...115719313.html

It doesn't seem entirely unreasonable to expect the roof to fall into
the void, leaving the side wall still standing

tim

it does if you realise the roof is reinforced, and it can't fall as a
block because the wall that you have half removed, is in the way..

Clearly for the roof to fall, the wall has to be somewhere else.

So its rather silly to stand in the only place it can go.