Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ffs, did he think...

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 03/05/13 22:53, tim...... wrote:

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
news
... the solid concrete roof would quietly float down to the ground, or
something?
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/jake-weir-b...115719313.html

It doesn't seem entirely unreasonable to expect the roof to fall into
the void, leaving the side wall still standing

tim

it does if you realise the roof is reinforced, and it can't fall as a
block because the wall that you have half removed, is in the way..

Clearly for the roof to fall, the wall has to be somewhere else.

So its rather silly to stand in the only place it can go.

The fact that the roof came down in two halves would suggest a sectional
construction to me, maybe slats. It it is, then I would have thought these
could be removed one at a time.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/05/13 22:53, tim...... wrote:

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
news ... the solid concrete roof would quietly float down to the ground,
or something?
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/jake-weir-b...e-escape-from-

collapse-building-video-115719313.html

It doesn't seem entirely unreasonable to expect the roof to fall into

the void, leaving the side wall still standing

tim

it does if you realise the roof is reinforced, and it can't fall as a
block because the wall that you have half removed, is in the way..

Clearly for the roof to fall, the wall has to be somewhere else.

So its rather silly to stand in the only place it can go.

The fact that the roof came down in two halves would suggest a sectional
construction to me, maybe slats. It it is, then I would have thought
these could be removed one at a time.

BTW, he was on BBC Breakfast today. They saved his leg. He is walking OK
but not doing building jobs. He says his credibility is shot anyway!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 May 2013 23:20:23 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

BTW, he was on BBC Breakfast today. They saved his leg. He is walking
OK but not doing building jobs. He says his credibility is shot anyway!

But doing nicely from the appearance and newspaper fees...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, May 3, 2013 11:27:49 PM UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 3 May 2013 23:53:42 +0200, tim...... wrote:

A stiff breeze will knock over an 8' high single brick width wall...

Aye, he nearly got away with that, it seems the plan unravelled as the roof was coming down on the RHS and exerted a small sideways force on the wall, in his direction. Enough to topple the unsupported 8' wall onto him.

I don't think the roof was concrete, i can't imagine anyone putting concrete across two 1/2 brick walls. I thought it was timber joists and came down in one piece.

The only way to do that would be dismantle the roof (whatever it is) and demolish the walls in short segments, proceeding backwards.

He'd probably put in an offer that undercut the builders with more brains.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, May 3, 2013 7:48:35 AM UTC+1, harry wrote:
On May 3, 1:16*am, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

You're not trained to think in the army.

You'd know this how?

It'd be interesting to compile a video of such demolitions with unanticipated endings with animated diagrams explaining why things descended in the way that they did. It may stop a few dullards putting themselves in harm's way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, May 3, 2013 11:30:06 PM UTC+1, Major Scott wrote:
On Fri, 03 May 2013 20:34:53 +0100, Adrian wrote:

If you supply the explosives. Otherwise I'll tow it down with a car.

Gas leak and time-switch to provide a spark. Roof lifts, walls fold outwards, roof descends.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 May 2013 13:19:29 +0100, Onetap wrote:

On Friday, May 3, 2013 11:30:06 PM UTC+1, Major Scott wrote:
On Fri, 03 May 2013 20:34:53 +0100, Adrian wrote:

If you supply the explosives. Otherwise I'll tow it down with a car.

Gas leak and time-switch to provide a spark. Roof lifts, walls fold outwards, roof descends.

You make it sound really controlled. I'd love to see that go wrong.

--
Q. What's the difference between a brown-noser and a ****-head?
A. Depth perception.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, May 5, 2013 1:44:09 PM UTC+1, Major Scott wrote:
On Sun, 05 May 2013 13:19:29 +0100, Onetap wrote:

You make it sound really controlled. I'd love to see that go wrong.

Controlled, only in that I'd be a very long way away.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 May 2013 14:19:02 +0100, Onetap wrote:

On Sunday, May 5, 2013 1:44:09 PM UTC+1, Major Scott wrote:
On Sun, 05 May 2013 13:19:29 +0100, Onetap wrote:

You make it sound really controlled. I'd love to see that go wrong.

Controlled, only in that I'd be a very long way away.

Make sure the camera is close, and not expensive.

--
Shotgun wedding: A case of wife or death.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, May 5, 2013 2:43:17 PM UTC+1, Major Scott wrote:

Make sure the camera is close, and not expensive.

;-)

I believe that idiots are cheaper.

The other way to get it to fall, away from the house, might have been to fix a couple of 30' scaffold poles to the wall, with ropes attached to the top. If you knocked out the end wall, it would have no internal bracing and pulling on the ropes may make it fold to the right, like a rhombus.