Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Split threads

Any idea why yesterday we saw so many threads appearing as multiple
short threads - or individual posts - instead of nicely threaded as
usual? Sure we get the odd one from time to time, but rarely lots.

Current release Thunderbird, using Berlin server here.

Apologies to anyone expecting nut-splitter thread...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well did the thread originally start with TOT: by any chance.
We proved a while back that most Microsoft news reading software struggles
with these subject lines and can often take out the TOT: completely.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"polygonum" wrote in message
Any idea why yesterday we saw so many threads appearing as multiple short
threads - or individual posts - instead of nicely threaded as usual? Sure
we get the odd one from time to time, but rarely lots.

Current release Thunderbird, using Berlin server here.

Apologies to anyone expecting nut-splitter thread...

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Well did the thread originally start with TOT: by any chance.
We proved a while back that most Microsoft news reading software struggles
with these subject lines and can often take out the TOT: completely.

Thunderbird doesn't split a thread just because the subject changes, it
goes by the references in headers. Usually thread splitting is caused by
web based usenet interfaces such as google groups.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 May 2013 09:15:23 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Well did the thread originally start with TOT: by any chance.
We proved a while back that most Microsoft news reading software
struggles with these subject lines and can often take out the TOT:
completely.

Proper software doesn't thread on the Subject: header line but on the
in the thread.

The normal way threads get broken is by postings from Google Groups.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2013 09:43, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 2 May 2013 09:15:23 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Well did the thread originally start with TOT: by any chance.
We proved a while back that most Microsoft news reading software
struggles with these subject lines and can often take out the TOT:
completely.

Proper software doesn't thread on the Subject: header line but on the
in the thread.

The normal way threads get broken is by postings from Google Groups.

Well a lot of them were subject "Unknown blade" by various posters. But
I think there were some others like "Socket set".

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 May 2013 11:45:36 +0100, polygonum wrote:

On 02/05/2013 09:43, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 2 May 2013 09:15:23 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Well did the thread originally start with TOT: by any chance.
We proved a while back that most Microsoft news reading software
struggles with these subject lines and can often take out the TOT:
completely.

Proper software doesn't thread on the Subject: header line but on the
in the thread.

The normal way threads get broken is by postings from Google Groups.

Well a lot of them were subject "Unknown blade" by various posters. But
I think there were some others like "Socket set".

"Unknown Blade" threaded perfectly here in both Demon/Turnpike and Eternal
September/Pan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2013 12:23, Bill wrote:
On Thu, 02 May 2013 11:45:36 +0100, polygonum wrote:

On 02/05/2013 09:43, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 2 May 2013 09:15:23 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Well did the thread originally start with TOT: by any chance.
We proved a while back that most Microsoft news reading software
struggles with these subject lines and can often take out the TOT:
completely.

Proper software doesn't thread on the Subject: header line but on the
in the thread.

The normal way threads get broken is by postings from Google Groups.

Well a lot of them were subject "Unknown blade" by various posters. But
I think there were some others like "Socket set".

"Unknown Blade" threaded perfectly here in both Demon/Turnpike and Eternal
September/Pan.

I think it might be to do with my killfile and the member of it. :-)

(I think that funny things happen depending on order of arrival,
killfile rule(s), etc.)

Apologies for raising the issue.

--
Rod

Difference between MPT and NPT threads? [email protected] Home Repair 21 May 31st 20 12:14 AM
O/T(ish) - BSP threads David WE Roberts[_2_] UK diy 4 May 18th 10 09:00 PM
More on odd threads.... Phil Kangas[_4_] Metalworking 19 September 29th 08 12:05 AM
5/16-27 threads Randy Metalworking 18 August 10th 08 03:43 AM
Wandering threads....... The Medway Handyman UK diy 23 June 4th 07 02:13 PM