Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Putting the Screw in Screwfix

Just bought myself a warehouse coat.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dickies-re...-navy-l/98901?
_requestid=392201

£29.99 in ScrewFix

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...n-l-warehouse-
coat

£15.59 in MachineMart.

We also have a MachineMart which is just a little bit further away than
ScrewFix.

Guess where I went?

I see no reason why the same coat should cost twice as much in ScrewFix.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 April 2013 09:51:41 UTC+1, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
Just bought myself a warehouse coat.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dickies-re...-navy-l/98901?

_requestid=392201

£29.99 in ScrewFix

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...n-l-warehouse-

coat

£15.59 in MachineMart.

We also have a MachineMart which is just a little bit further away than

ScrewFix.

Guess where I went?

I see no reason why the same coat should cost twice as much in ScrewFix.

Cheers

Dave R

And equally there is no reason why two shops should sell the same product for the same price.

In other news, the Vatican strongly confirms "catholic tendencies" of new pope, and ursine excrement found in wooded area.

utor Penitus emptor

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I see no reason why the same coat should cost twice as much in ScrewFix.

Just bought four pints of semi skimmed milk in ASDA for a quid. Local
shop charges 49p for one pint.

--
*Dance like nobody's watching.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Apr 2013 08:51:41 GMT, "David.WE.Roberts"
wrote:

£15.59 in MachineMart.

"Within one hour, the button fell of, but nice fit."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) put finger to keyboard:

In article ,
David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I see no reason why the same coat should cost twice as much in
ScrewFix.

Just bought four pints of semi skimmed milk in ASDA for a quid. Local
shop charges 49p for one pint.

ASDA charges 49p for one pint as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

wrote:

£15.59 in MachineMart.

"Within one hour, the button fell of, but nice fit."

So did one of the f's

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

£15.59 in MachineMart.

"Within one hour, the button fell of, but nice fit."

Would be a fair point, if it were not for the fact that it is the same branded product...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 15:14:24 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I see no reason why the same coat should cost twice as much in ScrewFix.

Just bought four pints of semi skimmed milk in ASDA for a quid.

That's why farmers can't get a reasonable price for their milk...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2013 09:51, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
Just bought myself a warehouse coat.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dickies-re...-navy-l/98901?
_requestid=392201

£29.99 in ScrewFix

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...n-l-warehouse-
coat

£15.59 in MachineMart.

We also have a MachineMart which is just a little bit further away than
ScrewFix.

Guess where I went?

I see no reason why the same coat should cost twice as much in ScrewFix.

Cheers

Dave R

I was looking at a 100 x 100mm Fence Post Spike. SF only sell a pack of
2 - I only want 1. £25 a pack.

Toolsatan do singles at less than £9.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Frank Erskine wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 15:14:24 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I see no reason why the same coat should cost twice as much in
ScrewFix.

Just bought four pints of semi skimmed milk in ASDA for a quid.

That's why farmers can't get a reasonable price for their milk...

There must be vast over production of milk if the supermarkets can dictate
the price.

--
*Prepositions are not words to end sentences with *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 19:16:40 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Just bought four pints of semi skimmed milk in ASDA for a quid.

That's why farmers can't get a reasonable price for their milk...

There must be vast over production of milk if the supermarkets can
dictate the price.

No, just an effective monopoly on the supply chain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

I was looking at a 100 x 100mm Fence Post Spike. SF only sell a pack of
2 - I only want 1. £25 a pack.

Toolsatan do singles at less than £9.

Bosch GSR 10.8 Li-ion

£114
http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/bosc...ah-l-boxx.html

£199
http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsr-...l-driver/27596

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote ...

I was looking at a 100 x 100mm Fence Post Spike. SF only sell a pack of
2 - I only want 1. £25 a pack.

Toolsatan do singles at less than £9.

SC are selling fewer single items - everything is in a multipack.
Attempting to push us into buying from B&Q. Sod 'em.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2013 09:51, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
Just bought myself a warehouse coat.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dickies-re...-navy-l/98901?
_requestid=392201

£29.99 in ScrewFix

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...n-l-warehouse-
coat

£15.59 in MachineMart.

We also have a MachineMart which is just a little bit further away than
ScrewFix.

Guess where I went?

I see no reason why the same coat should cost twice as much in ScrewFix.

Cheers

Dave R

I was looking at a 100 x 100mm Fence Post Spike. SF only sell a pack
of 2 - I only want 1. £25 a pack.

Toolsatan do singles at less than £9.

I also found the service a lot better in Toolstation, Screwfix were
unhelpful, not very friendly and the information about stock at my local
branch was incorrect online.

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

gremlin_95 wrote:
[...]

Apart from my local Screwfix (1) does everyone else have a Toolstation next
door to Screwfix?

(1) actually the 2nd nearest but the fastest to get to.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
gremlin_95 wrote:
[...]

here they are close, but actually the other side of the river.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2013 00:43, ARW wrote:

Apart from my local Screwfix (1) does everyone else have a Toolstation next
door to Screwfix?

(1) actually the 2nd nearest but the fastest to get to.

Unfortunately not. Axminster is almost next door. TS is around 14 miles.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Apart from my local Screwfix (1) does everyone else have a Toolstation next
door to Screwfix?

Within 200 yards, and you have to go past the Toolstation and Travis
Perkins clearance warehouse to get to screwfix.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2013 00:43, ARW wrote:
gremlin_95 wrote:
[...]

It's their deliberate policy.

Alas I don't have a local Toolsatan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2013 00:43, ARW wrote:
gremlin_95 wrote:
[...]

They seem to be opening branches inside Wickes stores;
3rd April 2013
Nuneaton Toolstation - inside Wickes

On Monday 8th April Toolstation opens a second branch inside a Wickes
Extra - this time in Nuneaton. Very prominent on Weddington Road, the
new sales counter is conveniently situated close to other trade
suppliers. Get full address and driving details on our branch-locator page.

Surely that will kill off a lot of Wickes sales?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Frank Erskine wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 15:14:24 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I see no reason why the same coat should cost twice as much in
ScrewFix.

Just bought four pints of semi skimmed milk in ASDA for a quid.

That's why farmers can't get a reasonable price for their milk...

There must be vast over production of milk if the supermarkets can dictate
the price.

My father stopped producing milk around 1980 so I am not fully
informed:-) However, the market is not normal in that the supply side
can't readily be turned off or withheld. There have been a few threats
to pour milk down drains or spread it on fields but the leverage
available to an individual producer is just about zero.

Once upon a time, the Milk Marketing Board regulated prices. Across the
EU there remains a surplus in liquid milk (think Denmark) with each
country trying to protect the livelihood of their farmers.

Basically, it is a buyers market!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

£15.59 in MachineMart.

"Within one hour, the button fell of, but nice fit."

Great review given that the fixings are press studs not buttons.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

They seem to be opening branches inside Wickes stores;
3rd April 2013
Nuneaton Toolstation - inside Wickes

On Monday 8th April Toolstation opens a second branch inside a Wickes
Extra - this time in Nuneaton. Very prominent on Weddington Road, the
new sales counter is conveniently situated close to other trade
suppliers. Get full address and driving details on our branch-locator
page.

Surely that will kill off a lot of Wickes sales?

Toolstation and Wickes are both owned by Travis Perkins. Perhasp
eventaually Wikes will cease selling tools?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2013 00:43, ARW wrote:
Apart from my local Screwfix (1) does everyone else have a Toolstation next
door to Screwfix?...

Apparently not. My local stores are about 15 minutes apart, although I
had to look them up online, never having actually visited either.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb put finger to keyboard:

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 15:14:24 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I see no reason why the same coat should cost twice as much in
ScrewFix.

Just bought four pints of semi skimmed milk in ASDA for a quid.

That's why farmers can't get a reasonable price for their milk...

There must be vast over production of milk if the supermarkets can
dictate the price.

My father stopped producing milk around 1980

boggle Did you go on to solids then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Scion
writes

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 15:14:24 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I see no reason why the same coat should cost twice as much in
ScrewFix.

Just bought four pints of semi skimmed milk in ASDA for a quid.

That's why farmers can't get a reasonable price for their milk...

There must be vast over production of milk if the supermarkets can
dictate the price.

My father stopped producing milk around 1980

boggle Did you go on to solids then?

:-)

The EU offered a *milk outgoers* scheme which paid dairy farmers to stop
producing. Remember the so called *milk lakes*?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 15:14:24 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I see no reason why the same coat should cost twice as much in
ScrewFix.

Just bought four pints of semi skimmed milk in ASDA for a quid.

That's why farmers can't get a reasonable price for their milk...

There must be vast over production of milk if the supermarkets can
dictate the price.

My father stopped producing milk around 1980

boggle Did you go on to solids then?

:-)

The EU offered a *milk outgoers* scheme which paid dairy farmers to stop
producing. Remember the so called *milk lakes*?

Yes. And I read Farmer Palmer in Viz.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/13 10:05, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Scion
writes

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 15:14:24 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I see no reason why the same coat should cost twice as much in
ScrewFix.

Just bought four pints of semi skimmed milk in ASDA for a quid.

That's why farmers can't get a reasonable price for their milk...

There must be vast over production of milk if the supermarkets can
dictate the price.

My father stopped producing milk around 1980

boggle Did you go on to solids then?

:-)

The EU offered a *milk outgoers* scheme which paid dairy farmers to
stop producing. Remember the so called *milk lakes*?

no. they were called dairy and wine lakes and butter mountains.

The time when we first realised te EU was basically stoopid.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
There must be vast over production of milk if the supermarkets can dictate
the price.

My father stopped producing milk around 1980 so I am not fully
informed:-) However, the market is not normal in that the supply side
can't readily be turned off or withheld. There have been a few threats
to pour milk down drains or spread it on fields but the leverage
available to an individual producer is just about zero.

Then that's what they need to do. It's not like milk can be stored for
that long, and most won't accept any substitute for it.

Once upon a time, the Milk Marketing Board regulated prices. Across the
EU there remains a surplus in liquid milk (think Denmark) with each
country trying to protect the livelihood of their farmers.

Basically, it is a buyers market!

What farmers obviously need is a union. ;-)

--
*Ever stop to think and forget to start again?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
There must be vast over production of milk if the supermarkets can dictate
the price.

My father stopped producing milk around 1980 so I am not fully
informed:-) However, the market is not normal in that the supply side
can't readily be turned off or withheld. There have been a few threats
to pour milk down drains or spread it on fields but the leverage
available to an individual producer is just about zero.

Then that's what they need to do. It's not like milk can be stored for
that long, and most won't accept any substitute for it.

Once upon a time, the Milk Marketing Board regulated prices. Across the
EU there remains a surplus in liquid milk (think Denmark) with each
country trying to protect the livelihood of their farmers.

Basically, it is a buyers market!

What farmers obviously need is a union. ;-)

Or go back to local bottling and delivery.

I hate to admit it but milk quotas and the demise of the marketing board
were Thatcher era decisions!

There was some talk of co-operative marketing but I think this got
squashed as breaching the rules on competition.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eric wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote ...

I was looking at a 100 x 100mm Fence Post Spike. SF only sell a pack of
2 - I only want 1. £25 a pack.

Toolsatan do singles at less than £9.

SC are selling fewer single items - everything is in a multipack.
Attempting to push us into buying from B&Q. Sod 'em.

I was stocking up ready for a plumbing job needing a fair bit of 22mm
copper pipework fittings the other day.
My generally favoured toolstation sell packs of 25 end feed fittings but
S/F had them in 10s which is more suitable for my task.
So although S/F are tending to favour trade size packs, T/S are at it too.

Another slight plus for S/F is their order online and collect service.
You can pick this up within minutes as the stock comes from the branch.
T/S however pick such collection orders from the central warehouse, mail
to your chosen store and you have to wait for that to arrive - usually
next day. Branch staff are not allowed to fulfil the order from stock on
the shelf.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 00:43:33 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

Apart from my local Screwfix (1) does everyone else have a Toolstation next
door to Screwfix?

(1) actually the 2nd nearest but the fastest to get to.

A number are only a few paces apart

York, Barnsley, Doncaster, Stockton on Tees.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 12:02:34 +0100, The Other Mike wrote:

Apart from my local Screwfix (1) does everyone else have a Toolstation
next door to Screwfix?

(1) actually the 2nd nearest but the fastest to get to.

A number are only a few paces apart

York, Barnsley, Doncaster, Stockton on Tees.

Watford's on the same business park - but the TS is hidden round the
back, whilst SF is right up at the entrance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

My father stopped producing milk around 1980

I bet the whole family was pleased.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 11:20:29 +0000 (UTC), Adrian wrote:

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 12:02:34 +0100, The Other Mike wrote:

Apart from my local Screwfix (1) does everyone else have a Toolstation
next door to Screwfix?

(1) actually the 2nd nearest but the fastest to get to.

A number are only a few paces apart

York, Barnsley, Doncaster, Stockton on Tees.

Watford's on the same business park - but the TS is hidden round the
back, whilst SF is right up at the entrance.

Forgot to add Harrogate, maybe 100m between the two but only a few paces for
local resident Usain Bolt...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2013 13:01, The Other Mike wrote:
On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 11:20:29 +0000 (UTC), Adrian wrote:

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 12:02:34 +0100, The Other Mike wrote:

Apart from my local Screwfix (1) does everyone else have a Toolstation
next door to Screwfix?

(1) actually the 2nd nearest but the fastest to get to.

A number are only a few paces apart

York, Barnsley, Doncaster, Stockton on Tees.

Watford's on the same business park - but the TS is hidden round the
back, whilst SF is right up at the entrance.

Forgot to add Harrogate, maybe 100m between the two but only a few paces for
local resident Usain Bolt...

Winchester they are almost facing each other. Slough round a couple of
corners on the same "estate".

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 11:08:07 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

I hate to admit it but milk quotas and the demise of the marketing board
were Thatcher era decisions!

Oh what a surprise. Dismantle something that has succesfully acted in the best
interests of the country for generations and replace it with the void of the
free market. (it was just post Thatcher BTW, but her vile disgusting odour
pervades government to this day)

There was some talk of co-operative marketing but I think this got
squashed as breaching the rules on competition.

Breaching the rules on common sense more like

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 12:02:34 +0100, The Other Mike wrote:

Apart from my local Screwfix (1) does everyone else have a Toolstation
next door to Screwfix?

(1) actually the 2nd nearest but the fastest to get to.

A number are only a few paces apart

York, Barnsley, Doncaster, Stockton on Tees.

Watford's on the same business park - but the TS is hidden round the
back, whilst SF is right up at the entrance.

Forgot to add Harrogate, maybe 100m between the two but only a few
paces for
local resident Usain Bolt...

Winchester they are almost facing each other. Slough round a couple of
corners on the same "estate".

Ditto Cambridge, and a TLC has just opened across the road.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 12:02:34 +0100, The Other Mike wrote:

Apart from my local Screwfix (1) does everyone else have a
Toolstation next door to Screwfix?

(1) actually the 2nd nearest but the fastest to get to.

A number are only a few paces apart

York, Barnsley, Doncaster, Stockton on Tees.

Watford's on the same business park - but the TS is hidden round the
back, whilst SF is right up at the entrance.

Forgot to add Harrogate, maybe 100m between the two but only a few
paces for local resident Usain Bolt...

I was thinking in terms of Rotherhams set up - not literally next door but
very close to each other:-)

I walk between Doncaster SF and TS to pick up what is available/at the best
price between the two. The choice of where to park goes without saying

http://goo.gl/maps/Qwv41

The link is of a very nice cafe/sandwich shop opposite TS for the benefit of
Brian.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Wright
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

My father stopped producing milk around 1980

I bet the whole family was pleased.

Huh!

Shouldn't you be on a roof somewhere?

--