Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drains and a new toy camera

I make no apologies for the quality - this is the first time I've tried
this.

This is a cheap waterproof USB camera tied to a wire-coil type drain
clearing wire and poked down a rainwater drain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsQo9_OIlH4

The camera was this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230800491326

There's a yellow hose down there too - party to keep washing the camera lens
and partly to measure flow.

Long and short of it:

The drain pipe seems to be a bit of 68mm black plastic running about 7m
until it arrives under the front lawn. That's as far as the hose would go.

The camera went in 4.75m (lead length minus a bit to reach the laptop).

The pipe was clear for those 4.75m but not running free.

The camera is at a slight tilt due to the way I tie wrapped it to the drain
clearing wire.

Later on in the vid you can see wash-back from whatever the hose hit
(probably a silted up soakaway).

Better than the other 3 downpipes. One was blocked and the other two
terminated in a hole 6" under the concrete right by the hose wall. Might
have been like that forever - did not look like the pipe had rusted away.

Won't be using those.

Might use the one in the vid - if necessary only. Rought idea where the pipe
is under the lawn - owuld need to dig a new soakway.

However, I found an option to connect to the main sewer that looks quite
easy. Will see if that is sufficient first.

Cheers

Tim

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2013 00:42, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

As usual, I couldn't work out which bit was the baby's head.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
Might use the one in the vid - if necessary only. Rought idea where the pipe
is under the lawn - owuld need to dig a new soakway.

However, I found an option to connect to the main sewer that looks quite
easy. Will see if that is sufficient first.

You might need to consider if you are currently billed for surface water
discharge to sewer.

Of course I don't know how they would find out:-)
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 00:42:57 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

However, I found an option to connect to the main sewer that looks
quite easy. Will see if that is sufficient first.

Do you already pay the water company for surface water drainage?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday 15 April 2013 08:46 polygonum wrote in uk.d-i-y:

As usual, I couldn't work out which bit was the baby's head.

Some "interpretation" is necessary...

DIY colonoscopy anyone?

I have a video of a "real" drains CCTV goin up my main sewer. The principle
differences a

1) The real one has better lighting

2) Real one points forward (that could be solved with the cheap one I'm
sure)

3) I think the real one has a wide angle lens. Mine is basically a pinhole
camera in a brass pod with 4 led chips.

4) My equipment cost 28 quid plus a laptop I had anyway. The real one
probably costs 1000's.

It did tell me the pipe was undamaged and generally clear, except for a lump
of rust flake or two.

Enough to know it would be worth digging a new soakaway if I have trouble
sending 100% of the gutter flow around the back where the sewer connections
are available.

It'll see some more use when I check if the brick cavities need topping up
with fluff when I do the soffits.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday 15 April 2013 08:50 Tim Lamb wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In message , Tim Watts
writes
Might use the one in the vid - if necessary only. Rought idea where the
pipe is under the lawn - owuld need to dig a new soakway.

However, I found an option to connect to the main sewer that looks quite
easy. Will see if that is sufficient first.

You might need to consider if you are currently billed for surface water
discharge to sewer.

Hiya,

Though of that and yes I am. All of about 25 quid a year. One of the 4 old
downpipes went into the sewer. Ironically it represented an isolated 4m
length of guttering.

Of course I don't know how they would find out:-)

They might notice here - the water co officially owns the shared private
sewer since last year so they have a lawful reason to come onto my land

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday 15 April 2013 09:04 Dave Liquorice wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 00:42:57 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

However, I found an option to connect to the main sewer that looks
quite easy. Will see if that is sufficient first.

Do you already pay the water company for surface water drainage?

Yes indeed - I checked.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2013 09:39, Tim Watts wrote:
On Monday 15 April 2013 08:46 polygonum wrote in uk.d-i-y:

As usual, I couldn't work out which bit was the baby's head.

Some "interpretation" is necessary...

DIY colonoscopy anyone?

You can shove that idea right up your... oh hang one...

I have a video of a "real" drains CCTV goin up my main sewer. The principle
differences a

Coincidentally I also just bought something like that. Mine was 7m cable
with plastic rather than brass lump on the end, and some LEDs. Not
tried it in anger yet.

1) The real one has better lighting

Yup mine looked a bit feeble was well. Although I suppose one could
augment it with additional lighting on the end of the stick in some cases.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
I make no apologies for the quality - this is the first time I've tried
this.

This is a cheap waterproof USB camera tied to a wire-coil type drain
clearing wire and poked down a rainwater drain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsQo9_OIlH4

The camera was this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230800491326

There's a yellow hose down there too - party to keep washing the camera
lens
and partly to measure flow.

Does the next video have a pink hose with a purple nozzle on the end in view
?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday 15 April 2013 13:49 Gazz wrote in uk.d-i-y:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
I make no apologies for the quality - this is the first time I've tried
this.

This is a cheap waterproof USB camera tied to a wire-coil type drain
clearing wire and poked down a rainwater drain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsQo9_OIlH4

The camera was this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230800491326

There's a yellow hose down there too - party to keep washing the camera
lens
and partly to measure flow.

Does the next video have a pink hose with a purple nozzle on the end in
view ?

I'm up for it. But you can explain it to SWMBO, whereby I will video you for
the "Darwin Awards" website!

Reading this on the web? See: