Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Partially blocked chimney flue.

harry wrote:
On Apr 9, 2:04 pm, stuart noble wrote:
On 09/04/2013 13:10, wrote:

My fireplace burns / draws poorly - ages ago I had it swept but
there is a blockage where the chimney passes throuh the attic;
impossible to get a brush past. I've ignored it for years but want
to install a liner so need to clear it. Suggestions so far: go on
roof and drop heavy weight on rope down pot to dislodge blockage
(not keen on that as my legs wobble above gutter level); measure
with rods to find exact height then take out brickwork to find and
remove obstruction (which sounds like hard work). Any thoughts?

I suspect the heavy weight option will be chosen by whoever installs
the liner.
They often used slates to divert the smoke in a particular direction,
and generally these weren't well secured. Can't remember the
technical name for them.

I demolished all my chimneys to ground level. They were all built
with a "wiggle" , presumably to reduce the draught generated

The 'wiggle' you refer to is a purpose built draught *generator* not
reducer - a flue doesn't draw properly if it's not bent

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

harry wrote:

I demolished all my chimneys to ground level. They were all built
with a "wiggle" , presumably to reduce the draught generated

The 'wiggle' you refer to is a purpose built draught *generator* not
reducer - a flue doesn't draw properly if it's not bent

Care to expand that a bit? How does it do that?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2013 13:10, wrote:

[...]

Well I have demolished lots of chimneys without.

I suppose it might make the chimney longer and increase the draught
but I'd have thought the effect would be more than offset by the
increase in resistance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 10, 7:29*am, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Phil L wrote:
harry wrote:
I demolished all my chimneys to ground level. *They were all built
with a "wiggle" , presumably to reduce the draught generated

The 'wiggle' you refer to is a purpose built draught *generator* not
reducer - a flue doesn't draw properly if it's not bent

Care to expand that a bit? How does it do that?

If a chimney is longer, it increases the draught.
But if it is narrower, rougher, has bends or is cooler, that reduces
it.

I think it's probably some tradition/old wives tale, you never see it
in modern chimneys.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2013 13:10, wrote:

[...]

I thought quite a lot of chimney wiggles were simply how the flu parts
were built so that, say, two fireplaces on each of two floors, come out
as one chimney stack with four pots on a roof - and none of them is
directly over any of the fireplaces!

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2013 13:10, wrote:

[...]

My place is a bungalow. The inlet and outlet to the wiggle were
exactly in line.
The rain theory sounds plausible to me.