Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Granite / marble tiles

SWMBO is thinking granite or marble floor tiles. Apart from the cost
(!)*, my biggest reservation is that they'll be buggers to cut.
Furthermore, as they're so heavy, it might be tricky to stop them from
sinking a tiny bit once in position.

I have a (cheapo) electric tile saw, so would use that, and there aren't
many cuts to be done (fortunately): Are my reservations valid or am I
just being over-cautious?

* Actually, the extra is relatively small when all the other costs are
factored in, it just looks expensive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GMM GlMiMa-AT-yahoo.co.uk wrote:
SWMBO is thinking granite or marble floor tiles. Apart from the cost
(!)*, my biggest reservation is that they'll be buggers to cut.

Granite certainly is. Marble is soft and easy.

--
*If all is not lost, where the hell is it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GMM GlMiMa-AT-yahoo.co.uk wrote:
SWMBO is thinking granite or marble floor tiles. Apart from the cost
(!)*, my biggest reservation is that they'll be buggers to cut.

Granite certainly is. Marble is soft and easy.

Looks like marble should get the vote for ease of laying then...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 21, 6:52*pm, GMM GlMiMa-AT-yahoo.co.uk wrote:
SWMBO is thinking granite or marble floor tiles. *Apart from the cost
(!)*, my biggest reservation is that they'll be buggers to cut.
Furthermore, as they're so heavy, it might be tricky to stop them from
sinking a tiny bit once in position.

I have a (cheapo) electric tile saw, so would use that, and there aren't
many cuts to be done (fortunately): *Are my reservations valid or am I
just being over-cautious?

* Actually, the extra is relatively small when all the other costs are
factored in, it just looks expensive.

what "other costs" of using granite over marble?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2013 19:23, Jim K wrote:
On Mar 21, 6:52 pm, GMM GlMiMa-AT-yahoo.co.uk wrote:
SWMBO is thinking granite or marble floor tiles. Apart from the cost
(!)*, my biggest reservation is that they'll be buggers to cut.
Furthermore, as they're so heavy, it might be tricky to stop them from
sinking a tiny bit once in position.

I have a (cheapo) electric tile saw, so would use that, and there aren't
many cuts to be done (fortunately): Are my reservations valid or am I
just being over-cautious?

* Actually, the extra is relatively small when all the other costs are
factored in, it just looks expensive.

what "other costs" of using granite over marble?

Jim K

Sorry - I didn't mean extra cost of one of those over the other but
simply that my experience is that differences the headline cost of (in
this case) the tiles are rather blunted when compared with the overall
cost of the job, which includes some fixed costs (here tile cement,
grout, a new cutter blade, other buggerations etc). By the time it's
all put together, I normally take the view that you might as well do the
job properly.
It's also only a small area so unlikely to break the bank whatever I use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , GMM
writes
SWMBO is thinking granite or marble floor tiles. Apart from the cost
(!)*, my biggest reservation is that they'll be buggers to cut.
Furthermore, as they're so heavy, it might be tricky to stop them from
sinking a tiny bit once in position.

I have a (cheapo) electric tile saw, so would use that, and there
aren't many cuts to be done (fortunately): Are my reservations valid
or am I just being over-cautious?

* Actually, the extra is relatively small when all the other costs are
factored in, it just looks expensive.

Cold unless you have underfloor heating and an excellent surface to
break things on when dropped.

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/13 18:52, GMM wrote:
SWMBO is thinking granite or marble floor tiles. Apart from the cost
(!)*, my biggest reservation is that they'll be buggers to cut.
Furthermore, as they're so heavy, it might be tricky to stop them from
sinking a tiny bit once in position.

use a thickish bed of self mixed fast set cement.

If you do get slump problems, use a thick bed but put wedges under each
tile till its set.

Marble is very very bad for a floor. It is susceptible to acid attack
and that's what you need to clean grout and cement off.

I have a (cheapo) electric tile saw, so would use that, and there aren't
many cuts to be done (fortunately): Are my reservations valid or am I
just being over-cautious?

* Actually, the extra is relatively small when all the other costs are
factored in, it just looks expensive.

Yes. I used slate. the slate was only half the cost.
I've also laid marble effect tiles - good quality ones. they are really
nice. cost near as much as the marble, but are a lot tougher.

Ive laid quartzite and colored marble wall tiles as well. nice. You
should treble seal the marble surfaces before laying to protect it -
than you CAN use a bit of acid and with luck, it wont screw the marble.

but a glass of split wine is enough to **** bare marble beyond repair.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/13 18:52, GMM wrote:
SWMBO is thinking granite or marble floor tiles. Apart from the cost
(!)*, my biggest reservation is that they'll be buggers to cut.
Furthermore, as they're so heavy, it might be tricky to stop them from
sinking a tiny bit once in position.

use a thickish bed of self mixed fast set cement.

That's what I've normally done, although I was wondering why that's a
good idea on a flat level floor since, in principle (it seems to me)
it's only there to stick the tile down and so a thin layer would slump
less. Of course, not all surfaces are flat or level....

[...]

Hopefully nobody will be spilling too much wine in my new downstairs
bog, but I take your point. The honed slate tiles I was looking at the
other day did look good, and surprisingly cheap. Maybe I can do some
opinion forming....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2013 08:10, GMM wrote:
Hopefully nobody will be spilling too much wine in my new downstairs
bog, but I take your point. The honed slate tiles I was looking at the
other day did look good, and surprisingly cheap. Maybe I can do some
opinion forming....

I would wonder what spilt urine will do to it. Or for that matter, spilt
descaling cleaner...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Champ wrote:
On 22/03/2013 08:10, GMM wrote:
Hopefully nobody will be spilling too much wine in my new downstairs
bog, but I take your point. The honed slate tiles I was looking at the
other day did look good, and surprisingly cheap. Maybe I can do some
opinion forming....

I would wonder what spilt urine will do to it. Or for that matter, spilt
descaling cleaner...

It's usual to seal marble used in these circumstances.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Champ wrote:
On 22/03/2013 08:10, GMM wrote:
Hopefully nobody will be spilling too much wine in my new downstairs
bog, but I take your point. The honed slate tiles I was looking at the
other day did look good, and surprisingly cheap. Maybe I can do some
opinion forming....

I would wonder what spilt urine will do to it. Or for that matter, spilt
descaling cleaner...

It's usual to seal marble used in these circumstances.

yes, but it takes a lot of sealing to do that and it adds to the cost
appreciably.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/13 09:10, Andy Champ wrote:
On 22/03/2013 08:10, GMM wrote:
Hopefully nobody will be spilling too much wine in my new downstairs
bog, but I take your point. The honed slate tiles I was looking at the
other day did look good, and surprisingly cheap. Maybe I can do some
opinion forming....

I would wonder what spilt urine will do to it. Or for that matter, spilt
descaling cleaner...

both v bad for marble, no prob for slate/granite tho.

Andy

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 21, 6:52*pm, GMM GlMiMa-AT-yahoo.co.uk wrote:
SWMBO is thinking granite or marble floor tiles. *Apart from the cost
(!)*, my biggest reservation is that they'll be buggers to cut.
Furthermore, as they're so heavy, it might be tricky to stop them from
sinking a tiny bit once in position.

I have a (cheapo) electric tile saw, so would use that, and there aren't
many cuts to be done (fortunately): *Are my reservations valid or am I
just being over-cautious?

* Actually, the extra is relatively small when all the other costs are
factored in, it just looks expensive.

Well don't be tempted by travertine when you go to look.
It is ****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2013 09:20, harry wrote:
On Mar 21, 6:52 pm, GMM GlMiMa-AT-yahoo.co.uk wrote:
SWMBO is thinking granite or marble floor tiles. Apart from the cost
(!)*, my biggest reservation is that they'll be buggers to cut.
Furthermore, as they're so heavy, it might be tricky to stop them from
sinking a tiny bit once in position.

I have a (cheapo) electric tile saw, so would use that, and there aren't
many cuts to be done (fortunately): Are my reservations valid or am I
just being over-cautious?

* Actually, the extra is relatively small when all the other costs are
factored in, it just looks expensive.

Well don't be tempted by travertine when you go to look.
It is ****.

I had sort of reached the conclusion it was unsuitable for what we're
trying to achieve. Is it **** for a aprticular reason then?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 22, 12:18*pm, GMM GlMiMa-AT-yahoo.co.uk wrote:
On 22/03/2013 09:20, harry wrote:

On Mar 21, 6:52 pm, GMM GlMiMa-AT-yahoo.co.uk wrote:
SWMBO is thinking granite or marble floor tiles. *Apart from the cost
(!)*, my biggest reservation is that they'll be buggers to cut.
Furthermore, as they're so heavy, it might be tricky to stop them from
sinking a tiny bit once in position.

I have a (cheapo) electric tile saw, so would use that, and there aren't
many cuts to be done (fortunately): *Are my reservations valid or am I
just being over-cautious?

* Actually, the extra is relatively small when all the other costs are
factored in, it just looks expensive.

Well don't be tempted by travertine when you go to look.
It is ****.

I had sort of reached the conclusion it was unsuitable for what we're
trying to achieve. *Is it **** for a aprticular reason then?

I have it in our living room.
The natural rock is full of voids.
They cut the rock and fill the voids and then hone.
The problem is, there are more voids just under the surface. When
walked on, they collapse after a while and leave a hole. You are left
having to fill these holes but it looks a mess really.

Most of the fancy swirls and colours on it are actually the filler,
not the rock. Various fillers are used depending on how much you pay.
But it doesn't get over the basic problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2013 15:54, harry wrote:
[...]

Thanks - That's well worth knowing. Seems to me that makes them
fundamentally unfit for purpose.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 22, 7:48*pm, GMM GlMiMa-AT-yahoo.co.uk wrote:
[...]

My thoughts exactly.
I got them as a cheap job lot from Tiles-R-Us
About ten holes in 20m2.