Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RCD Behaviour

Hi all

Bit of a dum question on RCDs coming up....

My Mrs just called cos power had gone to all sockets.
Apparently the RCD covering 3 socket circuits had tripped. At the time
she was doing laundry i. e. washing machine and dryer going flat out,
but these are not old appliances so this is disappointing.

The thing is, she had tried to reset the RCD before phoning me and said
it was "floppy". From what she said I understood that there was no
resistance when trying to reset the RCD and the toggle switch simply
dropped back to the off position.

When she called me, I talked her through the re-setting to be sure she
had it right, but this time the RCD reset OK.

Does this suggest that the RCD is on the way out, or is this what
usually happens if the fault still exists when you attempt to reset the
device?
If it was due to a lingering fault, how can I trace this?
Is it likely to be a transient "damp in stuff" issue due to laundry
activities?

Thanks

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2013 13:55, thescullster wrote:
[...]

OK so er indoors just rang to say that she thinks the culprit is the
microwave! When the door is closed, RCD drops out.
Apparently she had been heating/boiling some water/lemon to loosen grime
from cavity. But this shouldn't cause RCD tripping surely?

Would still appreciate input on the subject of RCD behaviour above please.

Thanks

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thescullster wrote:
[...]

I'd consider it highly likely that making steam in an otherwise cold
device ie microwave casing would cause condensation leading to RCD trips.

With 'grime' in the cavity it sounds like she is in the habit of heating
stuff un covered which I would of thought to be ill-advised as well
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"thescullster" wrote in message

[...]

Some RCDs won't reset until you press them 'even more off' first.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

That's what I was thinking.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2013 14:26, Bob Minchin wrote:
thescullster wrote:
[...]

Thanks Bob

To be fair the uncovered food is more likely to be the kids!

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2013 16:57, ARW wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

Hi Adam

This is a Hager device which has dropped out or been tested a few times
previously and it has never needed to be pushed "even more off" before
reset.

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

thescullster wrote:
On 21/03/2013 16:57, ARW wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

No - Hagers do not fail in the halfway position:-). - the correct term.

I probably have one knocking around should you need a replacement. If you
want it as a back up then say so and I'll get it into the post for you. What
is its current rating? - and do not say 30mA...........

Personally I suspect that there was still a current imbalance when your Mum
reset the RCD, but a free spare is yours if you want it.

Cheers

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

ARW wrote:
thescullster wrote:

Replace MRS for MUM and call me ******.

--
Adam

MCB behaviour David J UK diy 6 September 28th 09 03:55 PM
Ant behaviour John UK diy 12 May 5th 09 08:31 PM
Bee Behaviour Rod UK diy 6 May 8th 08 12:47 PM
Strange tap behaviour. Broadback UK diy 2 February 15th 07 05:13 PM